The Monster in My Basement

Pub Date 1 Sep 2020 | Archive Date 1 Dec 2020
Independent Publishers Group, CrissCross AppleSauce

Talking about this book? Use #TheMonsterinMyBasement #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

There's a monster in Dave's basement! His name is Howard and he's very hungry. Howard invites Dave to dinner. But will Dave eat dinner or BE dinner? The thought makes Dave shake a little bit, shake a little bit, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake. Has Dave made a big mistake?

"This book is one of my students’ absolute favorites and has become an instant classic! It's fun to read and equally fun to sing. It comes with a download code so you can hear Mr. Dave sing it himself. The kids love to sing along and are enraptured by the story in between bouts of “shaking and laughing!”

I thoroughly enjoyed The Monster in My Basement written and sung by David Preston, and illustrated by Heather Lynn Harris Charming, delightful, and joyous! Will David be the monster’s dinner guest or his dinner? Does the monster consider him a friend or food? Monsters can make great friends, right?

The riotous story offered the added benefit of some valuable messages: be kind, help out at home, don’t pre-judge things, and choose to be brave. Harriss’ imaginative illustrations explode with color that reflects the romping energy of the story. The music and the repeating refrain enhanced the suspense and increased our engagement in the story. My little one easily empathized with the hero’s fear of becoming the main entrée for the monster family. The “surprise” ending is very satisfying. I highly recommend this book and sincerely hope that this duo creates more books."

Marketing Plan

A robust social media campaign (paid and organic) that includes a "Show Us Your Shake" contest that invites video submissions and offers prizes, as well as a six-state virtual book tour during Halloween season for this "scary" Monster book.

ISBN 9781942483816