The Magician's Visit

Pub Date 28 Feb 2021 | Archive Date 14 Dec 2020
Pen & Sword, Green Bean Books

Talking about this book? Use #TheMagiciansVisit #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Jonah and Rebecca have fallen on hard times and as Passover approaches, they cannot afford any of the things they need to celebrate the festival.

“God will come to our aid,” Jonah insists, even on Seder night as the house is dark and his table empty. When a magician knocks on their door asking to join their Seder, they are unable to oblige, but the stranger is undeterred. “I have brought the Seder with me” he claims, snapping his fingers to produce two lit candlesticks.

At the magician’s command, the house is transformed, and the table is laid with everything Rebecca and Jonah could need for a perfect Seder and a fabulous Passover feast. But is this all a magician’s illusion or could it be the heavenly intervention by the prophet Elijah?

The Magician’s Visit has been adapted from a classic folktale by I. L. Peretz – one of the greatest Yiddish writers of all time. Written by acclaimed children’s author Barbara Diamond Goldin and with beautiful new illustrations by award-winning illustrator Eva Sánchez Gómez, this is a spellbinding retelling of a much-loved tale.

“God will come to our aid,” Jonah insists, even on...

EDITION Hardcover