The Boy I Am

Pub Date 7 Jan 2021 | Archive Date 16 Jan 2021
Little Tiger Group, Stripes Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #TheBoyIAm #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

They say we’re dangerous. But we’re not that different.
Jude is running out of time. Once a year, lucky young men in the House of Boys are auctioned to the female elite. But if Jude fails to be selected before he turns seventeen, a future deep underground in the mines awaits.
Yet ever since the death of his best friend at the hands of the all-powerful Chancellor, Jude has been desperate to escape the path set out for him. Finding himself entangled in a plot to assassinate the Chancellor, he finally has a chance to avenge his friend and win his freedom. But at what price?
A speculative YA thriller, tackling themes of traditional gender roles and power dynamics, for fans of Malorie Blackman, Louise O’Neill and THE POWER.
"Brutal, uncompromising and edge-of-your-seat action all the way through" – Alex Bell, author of FROZEN CHARLOTTE "The best kind of up-all-night dystopian YA, thought-provoking, different and above all, an extraordinarily exciting story, whose main character, Jude, will stay with me for a very long time" Lucy Coats "It's a gutsy, intelligent, tension-building tale. A bit Handmaid's Tale, a bit Mad Max, and a creature all its own." Sinead O'Hart, author of THE EYE OF THE NORTH "Mind blowingly good. Love it. It’s going to get readers thinking." Dr Vanessa Harbour "A dark, thought-provoking dystopian that is gorgeously written too" Amy McCaw, author of MINA AND THE UNDEAD "It’s so gripping and tense and thought-provoking" Ben Oliver, author of THE LOOP
They say we’re dangerous. But we’re not that different.

A Note From the Publisher

The Boy I Am contains content some readers may find triggering, including sexual aggression, trafficking, murder and surgical procedures.

A powerful, role-reversing, dystopian YA debut that really gets you thinking. It's got the same vibe as The Power by Naomi Alderman, which I loved, and it includes a really thoughtful afterword from the author and a reading list that includes some absolute gems. I can imagine people reading this, thinking about it, talking about it. I think it's a book that stays with you at some level and that makes it very special indeed.