Talking about this book? Be sure to tag it using #OffTheCharts #NetGalley
Follow your dreams.
Always be yourself.
And, whatever you do, never date a rock star…
So you want to make it as a singer-songwriter? Kat Goldman has been there, almost to the very top, and now she’s back with sage advice and hilarious behind-the-scenes stories from a lifetime of toil in the dive bars and legendary venues of the contemporary music scene.
Learn what it's like to meet your first fan, date a rock star (never again!), perform in a grocery store, and rebuild your career after getting hit by a car in a bagel shop. Feel the sting of rejection and rampant sexism, and the thrill of writing a hit song and performing with your idols.
Off the Charts is a whimsical, uproarious tour through a fickle business that never seems to repay what performers put into it, and one woman’s highly intimate account of how she made the best of almost making it. Featuring a sparkling set of original illustrations by the award-winning Nina Berkson.
A Note From the Publisher
“This book is a total delight to read, full of witticisms, bittersweet philosophical observations, and droll asides, about everything from sex with rock stars to busking, auditions, schmoozing, and instructions on how to write a song. Kat is a storyteller extraordinaire: she’s literate, insightful, at times woeful, at others hilarious and life affirming. Read this book with glee. It’s a revelation.”
–CHARLES PACHTER, Canadian contemporary artist
“Kat Goldman is so funny and talented that her book will make you laugh aloud and shed a tear at the same time. You’ll also marvel at her bravery. Read her book...and then go hear her sing.”
–ELLIE TESHER, author, journalist, syndicated relationship columnist
“Kat Goldman has written a realistic survival manual for the contemporary songwriter. Not a how-to guide for achieving fame and fortune, making viral videos, getting millions of streams or other increasingly unlikely goals; but a guide for how to continue the pursuit of your chosen craft in the face of false hopes, critics and naysayers, negligible to non-existent financial rewards and plain old bad luck. This book is by turns funny, poignant, tragic and heartwarming, but always honest and relatable.”
–GLENN MILCHEM, songwriter and drummer for Blue Rodeo
“This book should be made into a Broadway play!”
–CHRISTINE LAVIN, songwriter and humorist
- Advance Reader Copy push to trade and consumer media
- PR campaign for reviews, interviews, features/profiles, and excerpt placements with local and national media in North America (women's interest, arts & culture, music & performing arts, humor, books)
- Pre-release buzz campaign with author's network of musicians, performers, and industry influencers
- NetGalley promotions
- Targeted advertising campaigns on Facebook, Goodreads and BookBub for Featured New Release promotion
- Pre-order push and ongoing release promotion in Sutherland House Books newsletter and social media
- Book blogger and Bookstagrammer campaign for spotlights, giveaways, author Q&As, and excerpt placements