Unbury Our Dead With Song

Pub Date 21 Sep 2021 | Archive Date 24 Jul 2021
Cassava Republic, Cassava Republic Press

Talking about this book? Use #UnburyOurDeadWithSong #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

"Part mystery, part road novel, part philosophical enquiry, [this] is a dazzling journey to discover the meaning of music and its immense power over the human soul." – Aminatta Forna, author of Happiness and The Devil that Danced on the Water

"Unbury Our Dead With Song is not merely a literary and a musical masterpiece but an artistic triumph." – Zukiswa Wanner, author of The Madams and Men of the South

"If you are someone who is stirred by the sound of a song, or feel an ache in your heart over a farewell, and you enjoy a well-crafted and honest book – please put this one on your reading list."New African Magazine

"...the first time you heard a Tizita that was yours, you fell in love with it. You never forget your first love; you never forget your first Tizita."

In the heart of Nairobi, four musicians – The Diva, The Taliban Man, The Corporal and 70-year-old bartender Miriam – gather for a once in a lifetime competition, to see who can perform the best Tizita. In the audience is tabloid journalist John Thandi Manfredi, who is enthralled by their renditions of the Ethiopian blues.

Desperate to learn more, he follows the musicians back to Ethiopia, hoping to uncover the secret to this haunting music. Manfredi's search takes him from the idyllic Ethiopian countryside to vibrant juke joints and raucous parties in Addis Ababa, set to a soundtrack of stirring Tizita performances.

From the humble domesticity behind the Diva's glamorous façade, to the troubling question of the Corporal's military service past, Manfredi discovers that the many layers to this musical genre are reflected in the lives and secrets of its performers.

A love letter to beauty, music and the imagination, Unbury Our Dead with Song captures how it feels have an encounter with the sublime.

'Part mystery, part road novel, part philosophical enquiry, 'Unbury Our Dead with Song' is a dazzling journey to discover the meaning of music and its immense power over the human soul. Set against a background of war and murky politics, Mukoma wa’ Ngugi’s novel resonates deeply with emotion: loss, grief, despair, desire, love and hope, much like the tizita itself.’ - Aminatta Forna

Marketing Plan

Paid Social and Digital Marketing

Events with African societies with focus in Kenya and Ethiopia

ISBN 9781911115984
PRICE CA$20.99 (CAD)

A great book on the power of music. The story follow the four musicians competing in a Tizita competiton, through th eyes of a Kenyan tabloid journalist. I really enjoyed this!

The Diva, the Taliban Man, the Corporal, the Bartender, and a journalist walk into a bar… It sounds like the start of a terrible joke but is actually the beginning of one of the most intriguing stories I’ve ever read. Because character driven stories often lack much of a plot, they can be boring. I did not find this to be the case with this book. I loved how each of the performers’ back stories unfolded and how none of them were quite what they seemed. Add in the elusive Tizita and you have a story that also reads a bit like a mystery. Overall, I quite liked this one!