The Last Guests

The chilling, unputdownable new thriller by the Number One internationally bestselling author

Pub Date 24 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 26 Aug 2021
Hodder & Stoughton, Hodder Paperbacks

Talking about this book? Use #TheLastGuests #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'J.P. Pomare keeps you guessing all the way through this creepy cyber-nightmare'
The Times Crime Club

'Bump it to the top of your must-read list immediately.'
Anna Downes

'A cunning, complex, contemporary thrill-ride '
Christian White

'Pomare's latest creation will keep you guessing right up to the last page'
Rose Carlyle

Ever get the feeling that you're being watched?

Newlyweds Lina and Cain don't make it out to their vacation home on gorgeous Lake Tarawera as often as they'd like, so when Cain suggests they rent the property out on weekends, Lina reluctantly agrees. While the home has been special to her family for generations, their neighbours are already renting our their properties, and to be honest, she and Cain could use the extra money. What could go wrong?

At first, Lina is amazed at how quickly guests line up - and at how much they're willing to pay. But both Lina and Cain have been keeping secrets, secrets that won't be kept out by a new alarm system or a locked cupboard. When strange things begin happening on their property, and a visit takes a deadly turn, Lina becomes convinced that someone out there knows something they shouldn't.

And when they come for her, there will be nowhere left to hide.

More praise for JP Pomare:

'A master of the carefully constructed, impeccably paced psycho-thriller' The Australian

'Able to pull off red herrings galore and crafty, satisfying twists.' Kirkus

'A writer to watch.' Publishers Weekly

The Times Crime Club

'Bump it to the top of your must-read list immediately.'
Anna Downes

'A cunning, complex...

#TheLastGuests #NetGalley A must read. Lina and Cain don't make it out to their vacation home on gorgeous Lake Tarawera as often as they'd like, so when Cain suggests they rent the property out on weekends, Lina reluctantly agrees. While the home has been special to her family for generations, their neighbours are all signing up to host renters, and to be honest, she and Cain could use the extra money. What could go wrong? At first, Lina is amazed at how quickly guests line up to spend a weekend - and at how much they're willing to pay. But both Lina and Cain have been keeping secrets, secrets that won't be kept out by a new alarm system or a locked cupboard. When strange things begin happening on their property, and a visit takes a deadly turn, Lina becomes convinced that someone out there knows something they shouldn't. I adored this psychological thriller. I wonder how can any author write such book. Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder Straighten for giving me an advanced copy.

What a great book, couldn’t put this down once I started it, twists and turns galore and it does keep you guessing right up to the last page x

An amazing book from start to finish, didn’t know were it was going at the start but wow when you get into it I couldn’t leave it down. It was a dark chilling thriller with lots of twists and very well written. Would highly recommend this as a great read .

The Last Guests by J.P.Pomare is a psychological thriller set in the North Island of New Zealand . Former NZSAS soldier Cain and paramedic Lina live in Auckland and are struggling both financially and with their seeming inability to have a child. The book begins with Lina sneaking off to an assignation with a stranger, which seems at odds with her apparent love for Cain and sets off a chain of events that she did not forsee. To raise money the couple decide to let out the house Lina grew up in, and later inherited ,next to Lake Tawawera near Rotorua. This is an area I have visited and it's quite stunningly beautiful. As Lina's one-night stand seems to be stalking her and wants more ,Cain gets curious about the first guests and is convinced that they're not all they claim to be. From this beginning things start to get complicated and events spiral out of control. J.P. Pomare keeps the reader guessing as Lina's "no strings" fling turns out to be anything but as unseen forces are at work and she doesn't know who she can trust.....while being a stranger to honesty herself. This is great read that will keep readers on their toes.plenty of twists,a whole shoal of red herrings and a plausible storyline.

I can honestly say I loved reading this book. I found myself reading at a frenzied pace so intent was I to see what happened next and the author .never disappointed. A definite heart in the mouth,stomach churning read and what an expolsive ending! Fantastic!