To The Lake

Pub Date 4 Nov 2021 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #ToTheLake #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The basis of the hit Netflix TV series

But as the wave of infection expands from the capital, they encounter obstacles, hazards and aggression as they try to navigate their way through a harsh Russian winter, with diminishing supplies of petrol and food. And their troubles multiply as Sergei agrees to takes on unwelcome guests, and Anna struggles with her own feelings of hostility and jealousy...

To the Lake was inspired by a flu epidemic in Moscow. A bestselling novel in Russia, it has now appeared in a dozen languages, and been adapted into a Netflix TV series.

The basis of the hit Netflix TV series

Wow what a gripping, thrilling and truly terrifying read. Imagine the pandemic we are living through only worse (yes I know it’s been bad) but as terrifying as COVID has been an authors imagination of a pandemic can install the fear of aloneness, a pack idea and fending for oneself and family and no one else. This follows a group of people, who might not get on with one another and at times hate each other, but have to live with each other or else risk falling behind, this makes the whole journey even more gripping. If you love a suspenseful and chilling novels this is one for you!!!!

An enjoyable read that is fast paced and well written. The narrator was really hard to like but I think that was the point, I am looking forward to watching the series after reading.

Expertly written. I was gripped, completely lost in the chaos' Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a new favourite book. Inspired by the flu epidemic in Moscow, the novel is a bestseller in Russia and has even been adapted into a hit Netflix series. The original story has now been translated into English and is ready to take the UK by storm in November, 2021. As soon as I read the description for 'To The Lake' by Yana Vagner, I knew this would be a book I would love. So when I saw I was selected to read and review I was over the moon, I cuddled up in my bed, hot chocolate in hand and knew i was in for a long night of reading. A couple of late nights later... and I'd finished it. Anya & Sergey, who live close to the city of Moscow, are forced to leave their lives behind when faced with the harsh reality that Russia is on the brink of an epidemic. Faced with impossible decisions, unlikely friends and the knowledge that time is running out, the pair head to the only place they are certain is safe, to the lake. 'To The Lake' is expertly written, I was gripped, completely lost in the chaos.

I really enjoyed this thriller, it’s expertly written, compelling and the plot is perfect. For fans of survivalist thrillers this is a must read. I loved it

I really enjoyed this book, it was very in- depth, atmospheric and descriptive. The characters were fully formed and you really felt you knew them and could feel the strain they were under. It felt like you would imagine it would - possible danger lurking around every corner, uncertainty in weather you’re doing the right thing and ultimately totally responsible for your own survival and those of your loved ones! It would make a great film. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I was absolutely glued to this book. A virulent, killer virus is killing off cities in Russia. Perhaps this is repeated throught the world - we don't know because communications and power have all stopped. People turn on each other; everyone, everywhere could be a threat. Food, petrol and water are at a premium and people will do anything to get them. After a violent raid, our group - starting with 2 neighbouring households decide to try and get to a member's remote, far off fishing cottage by a lake in the far North of Russia, many hundreds of kilometers away. The group expands, faces many challenges. It's a simple idea but so well written; and people's thoughts, attitudes and opinions are fascinating more perhaps, because these are such 'ordinary' people - no heroes or supermen. Atrocities, violence, collapse of civilisation and horrific 'solutions' are described and we can only be thankful that our current pandemic did not get this extreme. (We already saw signs of the breakdown of our society but at least the brawling was only over loo rolls and protests over lack of freedom - enough of us being alive to manage that!) This was a dire picture of how things could break down when whole city populations die out. A harrowing and sober warning!

To The Lake by Yana Vagner When a virulent flu epidemic sweeps through Moscow, killing hundreds of thousands of inhabitants, Anya and her husband Sergei decide to flee to a lake in the far north of Russia. I have read books that have been translated before and have often found that something can be lost. Not in this book , it obviously had many similarities to what is happening in the world at the moment, but it is gripping , terrifying , and with the feeling of threat all around. I loved it.

I enjoyed this a lot. It was long and complex but I couldn’t stop reading. It was well written and translated, and I enjoyed the descriptions of remote parts of Russia. The characters were rounded and the situations they found themselves in felt authentic. It had echoes of The Stand (without the supernatural elements) and The Road (burbles bleak). Recommended.

Moscow is hit by a mystery virus and many people are dying. As the city is closed off from the outside Anya and Sergey, who live in their dream home outside Moscow, with Anya's son decide to leave and travel north to a holiday home on a remote lake. They are jooined by Sergey's first wife and son, by Sergey's Dad and the next door neighbour with their little girl. To get to their destination they will need to do battle with hostile looters, winter roads off the beaten track, temperatures of minus twenty, and find enough fuel en route to go the distance. Its a highly topical plot, well written (and translated). You can tell its in Russia because everybody smokes all the time, even when topping up the fuel tanks. A gripping tale and a good read.