The Fire Portrait

Pub Date 19 Aug 2021 | Archive Date 2 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #TheFirePortrait #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

I’ve taken risks in my life. Some have been physical ones, but some have been bolder and required more of myself.

When Englishwoman Frances McDonald sets up home in a remote South African hamlet in the shadow of the Hex River Mountains, she is regarded with suspicion by the community. Confined by a marriage of convenience, she seeks an outlet by learning the local language, teaching art, and exhibiting her paintings of the stunning veld landscape. Soon the spectre of war threatens to divide not only the country but the town itself and scupper Frances’s hard-won acceptance.

While her husband leaves to fight for the Allies, Frances chances to meet a former love. The bright joy of that unexpected reunion is clouded by a day that will change her life. Out of the smoke and ash of a shocking fire, she is propelled on a journey that will take her from the arid veld to the bright lights of London and beyond.

Send to Kindle (MOBI)