Artistic Circles

The inspiring connections between the world's greatest artists

Pub Date 9 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 8 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #ArtisticCircles #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Discover the fascinating connections between the world's greatest artists.

Artistic Circles introduces some of the most inspirational stories of friendship, love, creativity and shared passions in the world of art. Whether through teaching, as in the case of Paul Klee and Anni Albers; a mutual muse, as seen in the flowers of Georgia O’Keeffe and Takashi Murakami; or an inspirational romantic coupling like that of Lee Krasner and Jackson Pollock. In telling the tales of these creatives lives and achievements – each extraordinary and oftentimes ground-breaking – Susie Hodge exposes the fascinating web of connections that have fostered some of the world’s art masterpieces. Some are well-known, whereas others span both time and place, linking pioneers in art in fascinating and unexpected ways.

Illustrated in colourful tribute to each artists’ unique style, Artistic Circles is an illuminating and celebratory account of some of the art world’s most compelling visionaries. A perfect introduction for students, and a source of new and surprising stories for art lovers.

Discover the fascinating connections between the world's greatest artists.

Artistic Circles introduces some of the most inspirational stories of friendship, love, creativity and shared passions...

This title includes stories of many artists and their creative connections with others. For each artist featured, there is interesting biographical information, something about these connections and an illustration of the artist. These illustrations reflect each artist’s own style. There are way too many artists to list here. Some of those included are Sargent, Mondrian, Picasso, Calder, Basquiat and Krasner. I very much enjoyed the biographical anecdotes about each talented artist. The connections are also there often floating above the other text. This title is well organized. Beneath each artist’s name are those who were influenced. For example, under Georgia O’Keeffe is the name Judy Chicago. Under Judy Chicago’s name are Georgia O’Keeffe, Eva Hesse and Jenny Holzer. This helps readers to see how so many of the artists connected to each other and lets readers hone in on which entries they want to read. For those who would enjoy a wide-ranging exposure to both well-known and lesser known artists, this book is recommended. Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this title which I plan to purchase. All opinions are my own.

On understanding inspirations, influences and how interconnected the art world is. After a week of reading really heavy topics, I thought my next read should be something that's more lighthearted. I thought a book on art would be good, and I happened to discover this by chance. I requested it via NetGalley as it's not out till next month and I read it in one sitting the moment my request was approved. It's a short read, but surely an enjoyable one. ⁣ ⁣ The premise of the book should be self-explanatory for its cover and there are some I'm quite familiar with already, I still had a few a-ha moments while reading. It's also refreshing to see the number of female artists included amongst the 84 artists considered. There are also quite a few contemporary, living artists. As you'd expect, it's a short story on each and I like how each story is linked to the next one. Within this beautifully illustrated book, Susie Hodge explains why it is important to understand our links and connections with others, and such connections are even more important for artists who tend to inspire each other. In her very own words:⁣ ⁣ "In all of our lives, we have countless links and connections with others that alter how we think or act, what we do, why we do it and where. Sometimes, these connections may seem irrelevant but end up being quite significant; at other times, they can seem important in the moment, but their effect is almost imperceptible. Many connections affect us in ways we could never anticipate, and nowhere are these things more apparent than in the lives of artists, for whom events so often manifest themselves visually through their work. One of the most fascinating aspects of art and art history is learning about these links and connections, and seeing how, why and where they occur, how they emerge and evolve into works of art or even entire art movements."⁣ ⁣ So true.

Artistic Circles by Susie Hodge is a fun and educational trip through the many ways various artists are connected. From being friends, lovers, and mentors to simply being an inspiration, these connections show that we do indeed stand on the shoulders of those before us. This is not, and certainly in this size could not be, an in depth look at all of these connections. To expect such is unreasonable. Instead, the short profiles and stories about the connections works very well at showing that these types of things are closer to the norm than something unusual. What Hodge manages to do very well is offer enough information so that if we want more detail about some of these interactions we have a good jumping off point. To have more about each artist and each work mentioned would change this into an encyclopedia, and there are plenty of those. The reduce the number of artists in order to go into detail then would turn this into a biography of just a couple of artists, which would be a good read but would not accomplish the goal of showing how common these influences and connections are. For both someone new to learning about art and the art world as well as the more widely read, this book will offer new insights and generate some curiosity about whatever relationships strike the reader's fancy. For that reason I would highly recommend this book. Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.