The Midwife's Secret

The gripping, powerful and heartbreaking new page-turner

Pub Date 28 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 11 Nov 2021
Headline, Headline Review

Talking about this book? Use #TheMidwifesSecret #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

From the bestselling author of THE GIRL IN THE LETTER, a gripping, powerful and heartbreaking new novel of two families and the devastating secret that binds them...

'Spellbindingly good! Heartbreak, intrigue, mystery. I was totally engrossed in this story from start to finish. *****' Real reader review

'This novel will tug at your heart. A gripping, heart-wrenching story of love, loyalty and family secrets. Reminded me of Kate Morton and Eve Chase *****' Fictionophile blog

She shone the torch around and spotted some names written on the wall: Clara, Sara, Megan. Who were these girls and what had they been doing in there? She clicked open the old trunk and pulled out a leather-bound book, opening it on the first page: 'Tessa James, Patient Notes'. She began to read...

1969 On New Year's Eve, while the Hiltons of Yew Tree Manor prepare to host the party of the season, their little girl disappears. Suspicion falls on Bobby James, a young farmhand and the last person to see Alice before she vanished. Bobby protests his innocence, but he is sent away. Alice is never found.

Present day Architect Willow James is working on a development at Yew Tree when she discovers the land holds a secret. As she begins to dig deep into the past, she uncovers a web of injustice. And when another child goes missing, Willow knows the only way to stop history repeating itself is to right a terrible wrong.

For decades the fates of the Hilton and James families have been entwined in the grounds of Yew Tree Manor. It all began with a midwife's secret, long buried but if uncovered could save them from the bitter tragedy that binds them. And prove the key that will free them all...

ARE YOU READY TO DISCOVER THE MIDWIFE'S SECRET?

'One of the best books I've read this year! Beautifully crafted with strong female characters who you will love...a gripping and emotional mystery. If you love Kate Morton then Emily Gunnis is the author for you. I adored every single page! *****'

'The story was stunning and heartbreaking. I went to bed at 2am! Can't wait for the next book *****'

'Wow! What a powerful book. This had me hooked from the start. The story spans generations and tells of lies, grief and secrets. It was extremely well written and had you guessing right to the end. Loved the characters and couldn't put this book down. *****'

'Wow! I loved this book! A real heart-pounder! It had intrigue, suspense and lots of twists and turns!! Definitely some jaw-dropping moments! I highly recommend reading this book! *****'

'One of my favourites this year' Beauty Balm blog

Praise for Emily Gunnis's bestselling novels:

'Compelling, twisty, heart-wrenching and thought-provoking. A novel that stays with you. I was gripped' Sophie Kinsella
'Utterly gripping, taut and powerful. An emotionally charged, compulsive, moving novel *****' Adele Parks
'A great book, truly hard to put down. Fast paced, brilliantly plotted and desperately sad at times - all hallmarks of a bestseller' Lesley Pearse
'A truly brilliant and moving read. I loved it' Karen Hamilton
'Captivating and suspenseful' Jessica Fellowes
'Loss, betrayal and a decades-old secret... BRILLIANT' Heat magazine

'Spellbindingly good! Heartbreak...

ISBN 9781472272041

I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an ARC of this book. Having read a previous book by this author I was really looking forward to this book, and I wasn't disappointed, a great story and brilliant characters. I would definitely recommend this book.