A Spell of Rowans

Pub Date 26 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 11 Feb 2022
Rook and Castle Press, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

Talking about this book? Use #ASpellofRowans #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Magic and troubles come in threes.

The Rowan family: Victoria, whose empathic talent reads hidden feelings. Phillipa, with a glamour that bewitches. Liam, who can touch an object to reveal its past. We all had our magic twisted by our mother’s games. After her death, I thought it was safe to come back. But the police haul in my autistic brother for questioning about a murder, while my sister knows what Mother was really doing. Hint: nothing good.

And that hometown boy I dumped? He's now with the FBI and thinks he knows the truth about me.

An emotional page-turner about healing from a haunted past. Perfect for fans of Practical Magic, Garden Spells, and The Witches of New York.

NOTE: Trigger warnings for discussion of child abuse and trauma, with one assault scene, and some cursing.

Magic and troubles come in threes.

A Note From the Publisher

9781954811010 Kindle eBook

9781954811003 Draft2Digital/Kobo eBook

9781954811034 Ingram Spark Print

9781954811010 Kindle eBook

9781954811003 Draft2Digital/Kobo eBook

9781954811034 Ingram Spark Print

"Byrd Nash’s novel A Spell of Rowans revolves around a family with esoteric gifts and dark secrets that transcend death... Wry and prickly, Vic dodges danger to make peace with her past. Her ability to send and even influence the emotions of others is described in colorful, vivid ways, with feelings having flavors such as fresh-baked bread and bitter molasses. The language that captures Vic’s magical world, which is populated by both sweet and bitter people, is tangible and evocative....Swathed in small-town gossip and values, the fantastical novel A Spell of Rowans combines murder mystery, magic, and mayhem for an exciting tour of a family’s history and trauma."
5 stars, Clarion review

"The story moves quickly, never getting bogged down in unnecessary exposition even as it addresses themes of recovery, family, and forgiveness. Chapters end on strong hooks, and the twists and turns are well-planned, exciting, and emotionally satisfying.

"Family drama meets magic with a touch of romance in this fast-paced fantasy. For fans of Julia Rochester’s The House at the Edge of the World, Tara Conklin’s The Last Romantics.”
Booklife

Marketing Plan

Current ARCS are being distributed through BookSirens, Booktasters, and my personal email list (total 2,000 subscribers). Itsy Bitsy Book Tour on social media booked for October-November. Newsletter ads start in November with Book Barbarian and OHFB, among other book newsletters. Advanced copies have been sent to Clarion, Booklife, Indie Reader, and City Reviews for editorial reviews.