Hunters of the Lost City

Pub Date 26 Apr 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #HuntersoftheLostCity #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Packed with shocking twists, frightening monsters, and dark magic, this is a page-turning fantasy adventure for middle-grade fans of Holly Black and Tamora Pierce.

Twelve-year-old Octavia grew up believing the town of Vittoria was the only one left in the world. The sole survivors of a deadly magical war and plague, the people of Vittoria know there’s no one alive outside the town walls—except the terrible monsters that prowl the forest.

But then the impossible happens: Octavia meets another girl beyond the walls, someone who isn’t Vittorian. Everything she’s ever believed is thrown into question, and there’s no going back.

In her quest for the truth, Octavia discovers a world full of lies, monsters, and magic. She’ll have to use every scrap of her skill, wits, and courage to uncover what’s real about Vittoria and the rest of the world.

Twelve-year-old Octavia grew up...

Kali Wallace has written a truly gripping, nail biting read which grabs you from the first page. From the start, the unfolding narrative captures your imagination. From the terrifying, magical Feroxes to the heartbreaking apathy of the villagers of Vittoria; this is a tale that will remain with you when it's over. Packed with shocking twists, frightening monsters, and dark magic, this is a page-turning fantasy adventure about twelve-year-old Octavia who grew up believing the town of Vittoria was the only one left in the world. The sole survivors of a deadly magical war and plague, the people of Vittoria know there’s no one alive outside the town walls—except the terrible monsters that prowl the forest. But then the impossible happens: Octavia meets another girl beyond the walls, someone who claims to have traveled from far away. Everything she’s ever believed is thrown into question, and there’s no going back. In her quest for the truth, Octavia discovers a world full of lies, monsters, and magic. She’ll have to use every scrap of her wits and courage to uncover what’s real about her family, her home, and the rest of the world.

Twelve-year-old Octavia grew up believing the town of Vittoria was the only one left in the world. The sole survivors of a deadly magical war and plague, the people of Vittoria know there's no one alive outside the town walls--except the terrible monsters that prowl the forest. But then the impossible happens: Octavia meets another girl beyond the walls, someone who isn't Vittorian. Everything she's ever believed is thrown into question, and there's no going back. In her quest for the truth, Octavia discovers a world full of lies, monsters, and magic. She'll have to use every scrap of her skill, wits, and courage to uncover what's real about Vittoria and the rest of the world. I LOVED this novel!!! I couldn’t put it down! Wallace created a world full of tension, suspicion, friendship, magic, adventure and love that I wanted to be a part of. Her main protagonist Octavia is a fiesty teenager that won’t be put in her place easily, and is determined to follow her own path irregardless of the rules in her terrified, walled in town of Vittoria. When she comes across Sima (a mysterious stranger from beyond the walls - who isn’t supposed to exist) Octavia’s curiosity and fierce drive to assist Sima in finding her family turns her world upside down as she goes against everything she has ever known to help her new friend. This novel has so many fantastic themes throughout, filled with enigmatic characters, terrifying monsters and magical settings and was such a fantastic read that I would definitely recommend for children, young adults and grown ups alike. #bookreviewsbymrsc #huntersofthelostcity #kaliwallace

Kali Wallace’s Hunters of the Lost City is a page-turner! The characters are well-developed and easy to relate to. I am so fond of children’s literature and this book is one of the memorable books I’ve read in this kind of Genre. It’s dystopian and science-fiction theme makes me feel – realistically and metaphorically speaking – I’m escaping into another world where everything makes sense. The plot is beautifully developed into a remarkable ending that is both interesting and comprehensive to the target audience. The language use, structure, and aesthetics are appropriate to the target readers and a good source of comprehensive language input for non-native speakers of English as well. The way language was used to convey the story is remarkable as it offers the readers ample opportunities to visualize every scene, every character, and every description. The story is also age-appropriate to the younger readers and equally interesting to adult readers like me who love to read children’s literature and middle-grade books. A highly recommended book, indeed!

Hunters of the Lost City by Kali Wallace is a very engaging adventure fantasy. The story and characters kept my attention through the whole book and this was one I finished in one sitting as I couldn't wait to see where else the author was taking me. This is definitely a book to recommend to all ages.