The Coldest Touch

Pub Date 9 Dec 2021 | Archive Date 9 Dec 2021
Hodder & Stoughton, Hodder Paperbacks

Talking about this book? Use #TheColdestTouch #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Death drew them together. Life could tear them apart.

Elise is cursed. Every time she touches someone, she experiences how they will die. And when she predicts, but is unable to prevent, her brother's death, Elise is desperate to escape her terrible gift.

Then she meets Claire, a vampire tasked with helping Elise master her rare powers - and recruiting her to the Veil, a secret organisation determined to protect the paranormal world at all cost.

At first, Elise is reluctant to work with a vampire, but when she predicts a teacher's imminent murder, she's determined to stop the violent death.

As Elise and Claire grow closer, Elise begins to wonder - can she really trust someone tasked with securing her loyalty? Someone who could so easily kill her? Someone who might hold the key to unravelling her brother's mysterious death?

Death drew them together. Life could tear them apart.

[I received an eARC from NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review]. TL;DR: bi MC, sapphic LI/MC, non-binary & bi side characters. Witches & vampires & psychic-death-seeing-mortal. Alternating character views. I should preface this review with the fact that I've read every other published book by Isabel Sterling before this & loved them and the writing style. Overall, this book was so much more than I anticipated - I don't know what it was about the blurb of this book but it repeatedly just slipped out of my mind so I knew this had a wlw plot line but not much more. One of the things that stood out big time was how unexpected the plot twist regarding the brother was. I'm usually a reader who constantly thinks forward to see 'what's going to happen??' but I was completely blindsided this time. The chapters switch between being from Elise's perspective and Claire's perspective, which at the start I did find a bit confusing, but as I became more immersed it became easier to follow. It was nice to see the romance blossom from both perspectives, because they're both written as quite opposing characters personality wise. The plot line was really well rounded, and tidy. Each plot question was dealt with by the end of the novel, and I didn't find I was left with loads of unanswered questions. I'd honestly recommend this to almost any YA reader who enjoys sapphic or witchy and supernatural fiction books.

Thanks to Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for providing this eARC. I will read the book as soon as possible and leave a review.

I must admit, going into this book I wasn't sure it sounded like my cup of tea. However, I am thrilled to have been proved wrong! Elise can see the death of anybody she touches, and has withdrawn into herself to try and avoid such a curse. Claire, a vampire, has been sent to help her master this power and use it for the leaders of the paranormal world. The characters were easy to engage with, and the world building smart. There were twists and a hint of mystery that kept me hooked to the end! Definitely a book I intend to pick up again. I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Coldest Touch is an excellent and fresh take on the YA vampire novel. The story follows Elise who can see how people die when she touches them. She meets Clare, a vampire tasked with training Elise to master her powers. Things get dicey when feelings get in the way. Prepare for sweet romance, strong supernatural elements, and an engaging plot. The characters are well-written and fun to read about. Be sure to check out The Coldest Touch today!