M is for Mummy

Pub Date 5 May 2022 | Archive Date Not set
Atlantic Books, Corvus Books

Talking about this book? Use #MisforMummy #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Your family doesn't fit the mould. So what?

Lucy had it all: an exciting career, a rock-star husband, great friends, a size ten waist and pelvic floor muscles that could crack a walnut. And then, she had kids.

Since giving birth to her second child, Lucy's life is totally unrecognisable. A 'flab-alanche' hangs over the top of her jeans, the romance in her marriage is officially dead and so is the career it took her years to build. Instead of playing the cello behind superstars at packed-out arenas, Lucy now spends most days mopping up broccoli vomit whilst listening to her four-year-old recite tedious facts about the gall bladder.

M is for Mummy is a frank and funny story about a unique family who don't quite fit in to any mould in society, and about a mother doing everything she can to help her extraordinary son find his place in an ordinary world.

Your family doesn't fit the mould. So what?

EDITION Hardcover

Hilarious! Laugh out loud read..tacklingall the insecurities that Mum's go through...was able to identify with all the body image issues! There is a serious side to Lucy's tale of manic motherhood.. Stanley her oldest child has always displayed some interesting behaviours.. Lucy and Ed have always just accepted these..until Lucy returns to work and tries broadening Stanley's social horizons. Lucy begins to realise that maybe Stanley is on the Autistic Spectrum and initially struggles to accept this..plus she sees many similarities in his behaviours with her husband...An interesting and funny read with a sympathetic understanding of ASD.

Lucy's son Stanley is different. He is obsessed with letters, number puzzles and body parts, and he likes things to be a certain way. As Lucy faces up to the possibility that Stanley is more than just different, she also starts to see where he gets it from - her husband, Ed, who also has autistic traits. Generally, Lucy and Ed have a good relationship, even if Stanley and baby Jack mean that romance has waned a little. She also has two great friends and is working to rekindle her career as a concert cellist and session musician. I loved these aspects of the book and how Lucy tries to hold everything together, it was very relatable and the book is also sweary, funny and well-written. A great portrait of life with a neurodivergent child (and, very probably, husband) that will resonate with anyone who doesn't fit the mould.

This was a stunning book, both happy and heartbreakingly sad in some parts, I really felt for the main character Lucy, The realisation she has at the end regarding her husband was so poignant. I'm not sure if this is a debut novel as I cant locate anything else by this author but I sincerely hope there is more to come

A quick and easy read that was so funny I laughed out loud on several occasions. The story is good, the characters were so relatable, I loved it

A laugh out novel, was such an enjoyable read. Loved all the humorous side to motherhood, even though the seriousness is written about too. Was a good read.

What an funny, sad, real kind of book. There should be more books like this around that tell you what life really is like with children who are individual. But also what it is like to loose yourself into family life. I loved the way it was told, how it made me laugh and cry, a brilliant book!

Absolutely loved this frank, funny totally relatable read! This book will resonate with all mums of young children desperately trying to parent, maintain a career, keep on top of the housework and sustain a healthy marriage! Not easy at all especially with Autism thrown in too for good measures! Sensitivity, tact and realism abound as this young family muddle through the early years not easy when both parents are musicians, but a mother’s true love shines through as she will go to any extreme to help her child and in doing so has an epiphany re her husband Ed which helps to explain so much! Great story line fantastic characterisation and a real laugh out loud read but with a serious undertone, would love to read more from this talented author. Thank you netgalley for this early read.

Lucy is such a perfectly written character, I just want to hug her. She is so honest and true to life and in so many ways recognisable. She had me in stitches and in tears, because I have felt and been in so many many similar situations. A great book to make you feel not so alone in the mummy struggles, and so well written.

Read this as an arc. Thoroughly enjoyed - I laughed, I cried and more than anything this made me think. It was so thought provoking especially as some of the issues hit home around autism and the signs not only in children but adults who have gone undiagnosed for years. Definitely one to put on your tbr list when it is released

If you want a giggle then this is the book for you! I laughed (a lot!) but it also pulled at my heart strings too. In short, it's a story about a lovely family who don't quite fit the moulding in society, but the mother does everything in her power to help her son find his place in the world 💙

An excellent book, written with a great deal of compassion and heart, with three dimensional characters that you’ll fall in love with. A brilliant evocation of family life.

I loved the narrative perspective of this book. The frustration that Lucy constantly feels is palpable and I'm sure every reader will be shouting in their heads that it isn't too hard to see where her son's autism has originated! However, it's a happy book too. For those who don't have family members on the spectrum, it's a good way of communicating those challenges in an entertaining but sensitive way. I thought it was a great read - well written and observed and really engaging.

Oh my goodness, this book resonated with me on so, so, SO many levels, I just can't describe it! M is for Mummy is a book about love - a Mother's love. Lucy is an exhausted mother of two boys aged 4 and under, Stan and Jack. Before that, she was, and still is, wife to Ed, a session musician, and prior to that, she was a cellist of the highest level. Motherhood takes every ounce of her energy, so much so that it's like she's lost her own identity, and if it wasn't for her close friends, Jen and Charlie, she'd give up even imagining a future of music, for herself. On top of that, she is dealing with the likelihood that her older son might just be autistic. With certain habits and traits being displayed, she is more and more convinced that he is, but without a diagnosis, and little support from other directions, Lucy battles with the meltdowns and obsessions as best she can. I loved this. As I said before, it resonated, so much. As a teacher of young children, I come into contact with children like Stan, increasingly, and the difficulties that parents have, of accepting that maybe, there is something else that might be making their child act in certain ways. Lucy is a fantastic, though knackered mother, and I applauded her for recognising something within her child, and wanting to act upon it. I only wish I could suggest this as reading for certain parents who really don't get ASD... Many thanks to NetGalley and Corvus/Atlantic Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.