Other People Manage

Pub Date 3 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 3 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #OtherPeopleManage #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

OTHER PEOPLE MANAGE - DON'T THEY?

It’s the late 70s when Marge meets Peg at the Women’s Coffee House, which is less a place to drink coffee than a place where two women can dance together safely. Who knows what draws people to each other? It's the right time. They're the right people.

For the next twenty years, they stay together, through the challenges any couple faces and the ones no one expects: a three-night stand refuses to stop standing, threatening to destroy the relationship almost before it starts. Peg's sister abandons her children, leaving the family to fill in as best they can. With everyday heroism, they do their best with what they’ve got.

Then one day things change, and Marge has to work out what she’s left with – and if she still belongs to the family she's adopted as her own.

Other People Manage is a novel of great wisdom but light touch about love and loss and family – and how to survive them all.

OTHER PEOPLE MANAGE - DON'T THEY?

EDITION Hardcover

I’m unfamiliar with this author, but what drew me was the book’s lovely cover photograph. The description sounded good, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I’m really glad I did as I enjoyed this story a lot. The blurb on Good Reads is right; quite serious subjects are tackled with a light hand. (Apart from the first main event and I kept wondering why not the police? Why not just tell them?) There are some interesting metaphors and ways of expressing how Marge feels, mainly about her family and her childhood, her relationship with Peg and the rather complex relationships of Peg’s siblings and children. You see her evolve throughout the book. I think the style of writing and low-key tone reminded me of an Anne Tyler novel. I wonder if I’m the only one who fancied making a meatloaf by the end? I bet not! I will definitely look out for more by Ellen Hawley. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read an ARC.

This is a really interesting snapshot of a read. Great insight into a period of time and relationships. Felt real and quite hard hitting at times.