Michael Jordan

Pub Date 26 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 6 Dec 2021

Talking about this book? Use #MichaelJordan #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this book from the critically acclaimed, multimillion-copy best-selling Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the life of Michael Jordan, one of the greatest basketball players of all time.

Little Michael wanted to be the first at everything—especially if that meant beating his older brother. One day, he came home crying...he’d been rejected from the basketball team at school. With his mother’s message of “go out and earn it” ringing in his ears, Michael practiced all summer. Soon he was the star of the team, going from school, to college, to the Olympics.

After six titles, more than 1,000 games, and exactly 32,292 points, MJ had become a sports legend, who encouraged kids to “make it happen!” This inspiring book features stylish and quirky illustrations and extra facts at the back, including a biographical timeline with historical photos and a detailed profile of the baller’s life.

Little People, BIG DREAMS is a best-selling series of books and educational games that explore the lives of outstanding people, from designers and artists to scientists and activists. All of them achieved incredible things, yet each began life as a child with a dream.

This empowering series offers inspiring messages to children of all ages, in a range of formats. The board books are told in simple sentences, perfect for reading aloud to babies and toddlers. The hardcover versions present expanded stories for beginning readers. Boxed gift sets allow you to collect a selection of the books by theme. Paper dolls, learning cards, matching games, and other fun learning tools provide even more ways to make the lives of these role models accessible to children.

Inspire the next generation of outstanding people who will change the world with Little People, BIG DREAMS!

...

EDITION Hardcover

Loved learning about Michael Jordan! This is a super accessible format but the images here weren't as clear as in some of the other books in the series. As always I appreciate the adult timeline at the back of the book.

I really enjoy all the books in this series and I was delighted to see that they had another new release – this time featuring the sporting superstar Michael Jordan! I really liked how the book portrayed his character and it was a great insight in to this fascinating man – it showed his compassion and willingness to help others really well. The only thing that I didn’t really like, and it has not really been an issue in previous books, was that the majority of the images seemed to depict people without a nose and it was very strange to look at! Other than that the book was excellent but it was a bit off putting and made my daughter giggle more than anything missing the real point of the book so I have marked it down from 5 stars to 4 stars for that. It is 4 stars from me for this one – highly recommended! Definitely looking forward to the next book!

I feel like my reviews on books in this series - little people, big dreams - are becoming very repetitive, but I just love them and can't get enough. This book was beautiful to read, and beautiful to look at. Very uplifting, and another great book in the series!

Michael Jordan is a great addition to the multi million selling Little People, Big Dreams books. It's nice to have a current. hero for children to read about and Michael Jordan's story is perfect for this. The illustrations by Lo Harris fit perfectly alongside the text. I particularly loved that the theme of team work was woven through the text - I'd definitely use this within the classroom during PSHE lessons.

As someone who knows nothing about basketball, and didn't know anything about Michael Jordan, I enjoyed learning about him and how, even after some "failures", he kept going and fulfilled his dream of being a professional basketball player. He became famous and won many games, as well as olympic medals. Once he retired, he became a successful businessman and he was inspirational to many people. He was also a great father. The graphics in the book are great and the whole book was interesting and easy to read. Many thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed learning about Michael Jordan's life in this book. I enjoyed the easy reading story like style. It had a nice conversational feel to it and was easy to take in. The illustrations matched the book too and added to the story. I liked how there was a lengthier timeline in the back of the book too. A great read for all ages.

Another great addition to the ‘Little People, Big Dreams’ family. I was surprised to find out that Michael Jordan temporarily quit basketball and started playing baseball. These mini biographies are great ways to familiarise yourself with some of the most significant people in their fields. They are age appropriate; inspiring and interesting, but not overwhelming. They have bright, beautiful illustrations, striking covers, and look great on a shelf together. I love the diversity of the people featured in this series. Artists, athletes, authors, activists, actors, explorers, entertainers, musicians and scientists. Thank you NetGalley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

‘’I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.’’ Michael Jordan The boy of our story was born in Brooklyn and moved with his family to North Carolina. Playfully ‘’antagonizing’’ his siblings - as all children do - he wanted to be the first and the best in the sport that won his heart. But one day, he returned from school in tears. He had not been selected for the basketball team because he was ‘’too short’’. His mother gave him the most precious advice a parent can give to a child. ‘’Earn it!’’ And he did. ‘’You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.’’ Michael Jordan He went on the become the star of his high school team and mum’s advice came to fruition. An Olympic medal was waiting for him. A gold medal in the ‘92 Olympics in Barcelona and a legendary final against Croatia. Those of us who hold basketball as our second religion (like yours truly…) swear that this was the finest final in History. The Dream Team had become a myth and it would remain so for the years to come… ‘’Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.’’ Michael Jordan But the loss of a parent can break your heart and the boy of our story wanted to quit, deeply affected by the death of his father. Luckily, he changed his mind and for the next six years, he generously offered unimaginable beauty to the lovers of the game around the world. After six NBA titles, it was time for him to retire as Phil Jackson, the ‘Zen Master’, decided to part ways with Chicago Bulls. He went on to create a new dynasty, leading Los Angeles Lakers to five NBA titles. ‘’Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.’’ Michael Jordan An avid supporter of all sports, a man who helped children from all over the world to discover and fall in love with the most beautiful sport ever created (and don’t try to argue with me about that!). Even from the early age of 7-8 years old, everyone in our school would carry a basketball during breaks, school trips and during the holidays. Nick Galis (our own Greek god) and the boy of our story were our heroes. Girls and boys would fanatically watch basketball games and it was a love, a passion that still accompanies us. He became the synonym, the paradigm, the icon, the idol. He was Basketball and no one can change my mind. No one can come close. Those who claim that commit sacrilege and there is a special place in Hell reserved for them. ‘’You miss 100% of the shots you never take.’’ Michael Jordan His name? Michael Jordan. Air Jordan. Black Jesus. Black Cat. ‘’I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to make the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.’’ Michael Jordan Many thanks to Frances Lincoln Children’s Books and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.