The House of Footsteps

Pub Date 3 Feb 2022 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #TheHouseofFootsteps #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

If you loved The Haunting of Hill House, welcome to Thistlecrook…

Simon’s host is glad of his company, but he gets the feeling the house is not so welcoming. As his questions about the Mordrakes grow, he finds answers in surprising places. But someone is not pleased that old secrets are stirring.

As night falls each evening, and a growing sense of unease roils in the shifting shadows around him, Simon must decide what he can trust and ask if he can believe what he sees in the dusk or if his mind is poisoned by what has happened before in this place between lands, between light and dark.

If you loved The Haunting of Hill House, welcome to Thistlecrook…

EDITION Ebook

The House of Footsteps by Matthew West It’s 1923 and at Thistlecrook House, a forbidding home on the Scottish border, the roaring twenties seem not to have arrived. But Simon Christie has – a young man who can’t believe his luck when he gets a job cataloguing the infamous art collection of the Mordrake family. Yet from the moment he gets off the train at the deserted village station he can’t shift a headache and a sense that there’s more to the House and its gruesome selection of pictures. If you like books like The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins , then you will love this. It has that dark , oppressive , foreboding feeling on every page , and you almost feel the walls closing in on Simon whilst he goes about his day. Creepy , but I loved it.

I love anything gothic and so I devoured this and it did not disappoint. It is dark, disturbing and shrouded with foreshadowing. It was claustrophobic with dark and haunting imagery and my heart was in my throat with every page as I lived it alongside Simon. As soon as I was finished I wanted to read it again. I loved it.

Sweeping Gothic Tale… 1923 and Simon Christie simply cannot believe his luck when he secures a position cataloguing the somewhat gruesome art collection of the Mordrake family but Thistlecrook House is an enigma and from the moment of his arrival he is heavy with a sense of foreboding. A sweeping gothic tale with a genuine mystery at heart, wildly atmospheric and well drawn. A delicious read.

Wow what a book! It was creepy and scary in all the right places. You definitely don’t want to read this in the dark as it’s very atmospheric.

When I first started to read the house of footsteps it reminded me of the lady in black it felt similar in places and than It had a very different twist to the story. The story about Simon who work for art company who ask to visit a house and to look at the art work. This is a Gothic story and bit eerie in places. Thank you netgalley for letting me read this book.

I was really sucked into this Gothic chiller which had me gripped from the start with its strange country house and grotesque art collection. I thought I had it all figured out but I never saw the twist at the end coming! I also found the setting very lifelike and easy to picture. Great stuff and a novel I will be definitely recommending to readers who love ghost stories and historical fiction.