The House of Marvellous Books

Pub Date 19 May 2022 | Archive Date 18 May 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheHouseofMarvellousBooks #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Tucked away in a near-derelict library in the center of London, The House of Marvellous Books is a publishing house on the brink of financial disaster.

With assistant Ursula asleep at her desk, head publisher Gerard going health and safety mad, and chief editor Drusilla focused on finding a supposedly priceless but famously missing manuscript, there is hardly anyone left to steer the ship. Young Mortimer Blackley, assistant editor, charts the descent of the House in his logbook as it lurches from one failure to the next.

Will mysterious Russian buyers, lurking in the wings, stop the ship from sinking at great cost to all? Or will Drusilla find the legendary Daybreak Manuscript and save the day?

With assistant Ursula asleep at her desk, head...

"I absolutely adored the charming and very funny The House Of Marvellous Books and its cast of eccentric, maddening characters. This is a must-read for anyone who loves books and I can't wait to gift it to everyone I know. It deserves to be a massive word-of-mouth bestseller.” —Sarra Manning, author of Rescue Me

'A joyride of a novel ripe with delightful irony and a flurry of colourful characters. It will have its readers smiling throughout' —Jac Shreeves-Lee, author of Broadwater

'A book full of funny lines, set pieces and memorable characters - Fiona Vigo Marshall's bookish jeu d'esprit is hugely entertaining' —Gill Darling, author of Erringby

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781914148095

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This was a really enjoyable read. It was well written with good charcater development with a well executed and humourous storyline. I enjoyed the pacing and it was a lot funnier than I expected it to be. I will definitely be looking for more from this author.

What an incredibly odd duck of a book. Chock full of meandering prose, wry insight and left of field tenderness - I absolutely loved it.
The House of Marvellous books follows a year in the life of Mortimer, a commissioning editor for a publishing house that’s seen better days. Manned by an eccentric cast and written in diary format, you get a real sense of the feeling and family of the publishing house, as Mortimer and his work colleagues navigate unruly authors, sassy editors and a ditzy receptionist who is in search of a missing and very valuable manuscript.
Packed full of literary references and generous of cake, The House of Marvellous books will appeal to bibliophiles everywhere. An off kilter read that really appeals

This book was hilarious and quirky! The eccentric characters were fun to follow along with. The pace of everything was well timed, and kept interesting throughout!

The House of Marvellous Books by Fiona Vigo Marshall is an unusual yet ultimately satisfying read. For all of its oddities this is still a book about community and, what seals the deal for me, books.

As is the case with most books that don't try to be like other books, it takes a few pages to get into both the flow of the writing and the world of the work. I can't really blame those readers who choose not to make the kind of commitment to push through those initial questions they have, but I am glad I did so. I came to care about the characters, the building itself, and the books both written and pondered.

About the characters. This is not really a work that delves into the area of being a character study or of even necessarily fully fleshing out the secondary characters. But we do learn enough about them to form opinions, to care about the things that they care about. Not in the same way we care, let's say, for our best friends or family. More like the way we care about our co-workers or our neighbors, they are more than strangers but not quite in our inner circle. While I love deep character studies, I am also fine with knowing characters the way I know most people in my world.

Which brings me to the building and library. To the extent that this might be a character study it is of the building and its history, its quirks, and its possible future. By extension the publishing company is a part of this "character" for me. Thanks to the prose I came to see the building as an almost sentient being and cared as much for it as any character.

While I would eagerly recommend this to many of my friends there are a few I would probably not even mention it to. The difference, I think, is whether the reader likes to read novels that are different in more than one way. This has unusual characters, it also has a plotline that is largely to support the excursion into this little world, and it uses a diary format which is not quite the norm even if it also isn't rare. If a reader likes the idea of coming to terms with all of these things, they will be rewarded with some humor, some thoughtful ideas, and a visit to a unique building/library.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.

A fun quirky interesting unique read.I enjoyed this novel from beginning to end.The characters came alive had me laughing .The storyline unusual eccentric so much fun to read. #netgalley#fairlightbooks

With witty and sharp observations, Fiona Vigo Marshall draws upon a career spent working in small publishing houses to create a laugh-out-loud ode to the publishing industry. Grab yourself a copy of this book! I absolutely loved this! I read this book within a day, I couldn’t put it down.

I thought this book was well written. This is a light and funny book set in a struggling little publishing company in London. Entertaining and humorous.

What a literary feast for book lovers! I laughed, I smiled, and I fell in love with the quirky characters. Thank you so much for this fantastic, satisfying ARC.

An Eclectic Bunch..
The House of Marvellous Books, a publishing house on the brink of collapse and hidden away in a virtually derelict part of London. Manned by an eclectic bunch and unikely to change. Narrated in diary format we meet the well crafted and colourful cast in a meandering tale of moving from one failure to the very next. Will their day ever be really saved? Enjoyable and eccentric, frothy and dryly amusing with memorable characters who have a tale to tell. Bibliophiles everywhere should not be disappointed.

The cast of eccentric literary types was right up my street and wouldn’t fail to delight anyone who loves books about books. Thanks NetGalley!

The story is about the publishing house’s eccentric and charming characters who are working hard to try and save their beloved independent publishing house while navigating their daily lives and relationships.
The House of Marvellous Books is easily one of the most charming and new funny books for adults and teen readers who love quirky stories and eccentric characters set in London.

* Thank you for the ARC.

Great book, I loved this read.

Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publishers for letting me access an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest feedback.

Fiona Vigo Marshall's House of Marvellous Books was a fun read. In some ways it felt like a literary version of Wes Anderson's French Dispatch's office scenes set in a publishing house. The characters were all well written and each brought their own unique quirks to the story. I think I would recommend this book for anyone looking for a fun summer read.

The House of Marvellous Books by Fiona Vigo Marshall

The House of Marvellous Books is a small publishing house lurching from one disaster to another and in danger of going bankrupt at any moment. Mortimer, a Commissioning Editor, keeps a diary and the entries describe the sinking ship and all who sail in her.

This book is very quirky and at first I didn't know what to make of it. But very quickly I was completely absorbed in the goings-on at The House of Marvellous Books! What a fabulous cast of eccentric characters and an often humourous, sometimes poignant story. Very highly recommended.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book.