The Other Side of Night

Pub Date 15 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 15 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheOtherSideofNight #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

‘A big-hearted, big-brain, novel that you'll finish in three days and think about for the rest of the year. Wonderful.’ - Stuart Turton

Bestselling author Adam Hamdy returns with a story of soulmates torn apart by circumstance and three deaths that haunt the past, present and future. The Other Side of Night is a genre-defying book unlike any you've ever read and a spellbinding novel about love, sacrifice and endless possibilities.

David Asha wants to tell you a story about three people:

Elliott Asha, his son, broken by a loss that will redeem him.

Ben Elmys, a surrogate father and David’s trusted friend, a man who might also be a murderer.

Harriet Kealty, a retired detective searching for answers to three mysterious deaths, while also investigating a man who might turn out to be the love of her life.

Every word David tells you is true, but you will think it fiction . . .

What authors are saying:

‘The pages almost turn themselves and when I was finished I couldn’t stop thinking about the story’s incredible twists, turns, and surprises’ - James Patterson

'Remarkable' - Anthony Horowitz

‘A strange, compelling, and ultimately moving head-spinner of a novel’ - John Connolly

'Absolutely brilliant. I was blown away' - Manda Scott

‘Mind-bending! This intriguing and thought-provoking thriller is a profound exploration of how far some are willing to go in the name of love. A fantastic twist you’ll never see coming’ - Liv Constantine

'A brilliant meta-thriller with huge ideas and even greater heart' - Steve Cavanagh

‘One of those rare books that you’ll still be thinking about long after the last page’ - Jenny Blackhurst

'An utterly satisfying read' - Ryan Gattis

Bestselling author Adam Hamdy returns with a story of soulmates...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This is a tale of the absolute unexpected. Do not read the blurb or anything that may sneak in some clues as this is a just go in blind read in order to confound and enhance your expectations. This is a unique read that is a terrific blend of several genres but which does also rightly sit in the mystery thriller bracket. It will blow your mind as it blows mine. It takes me several hours to try to process before putting pen to paper in what I can say with certainty as I think this is brilliant. I’ll try to give you a flavour which is spoiler free, here goes!

This is the story of how former police officer Harriet Kealty destroys David Asha’s son Elliot’s life and then absolutely redeems it. It is told through a variety of means such as court reports, book extracts, video transcripts as well as the perspective of characters including Harriet. If that sounds as if it’s going to be disjointed, it isn’t as Adam Hamdy blends the puzzling conundrum seamlessly in a fast paced, slick and complex plot.

The author hooks me in immediately as I almost greedily swallow and savour the pages in anticipation of the compelling and utterly gripping tale. It is brim full of emotion and pain as you feel the sense of failure of several characters and how they shoulder the blame and the regret of their choices. It’s very intense in places especially with some relationships which are fascinating in their complexity and the tension between them bounces off the pages.

Some characters feel other worldly at times and so it feels strange and perplexing as Harriet tries to piece together the clues she’s either witnesses or discovers, some of which are often in the form of poetry. I love this element which adds a little something extra!

There is a lot going on but at times it’s also reflective and still which is welcome as you try to process your building suspicions. In places my jaw drops, my brain fries trying to take it all in and trust me, some of the twists are outstanding.

Overall, this is an excellent blend of themes, it’s a go with the flow read for a better experience and oddly, I find I can buy into what I’ve just read because it is so well written.

Highly recommended.

With thanks to NetGalley and especially to Pan MacMillan for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.

This book is something else and something special. It stars off as a mystery, turns into science fiction but also has a tad of romance. Sounds crazy, right? Trust me this book is brilliant. How can a mystery be magical and romantic? You'll have to read it to find out. I refuse to talk about what is mentioned in the blurb or plot because the less you know going in the better. Let me just say that the writing is phenomenal, the story is enthralling, the twists are surprising and this book will stay with you long after you finished reading it. It is the type of book you want to read again after finding out "the secret". All. The. Stars.