Birdgirl

‘Lyrical, poignant and insightful.’ Margaret Atwood

Pub Date 30 Jun 2022 | Archive Date 30 Jul 2022
Vintage, Jonathan Cape

Talking about this book? Use #birdgirlbook #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Discover a powerful, evocative and urgent new young voice in nature writing.

'Birdwatching has never felt like a hobby, or a pastime I can pick up and put down, but a thread running through the pattern of my life.'

Meet Mya-Rose - otherwise known as 'Birdgirl'. Birder, environmentalist, diversity activist. To date she has seen over five thousand different types of bird: half the world's species.

Every single bird a treasure. Each sighting a small step in her family journey - a collective moment of joy and stillness. And each helping her to find her voice.

Since she was young, she has visited every continent to pursue her passion, seeing first-hand the inequality and reckless destruction we are inflicting on our fragile planet. And the simple, mindful act of looking for birds has made her ever-more determined to campaign for all our survival.

This is her story; a journey defined by her love for these extraordinary creatures. Because large or small, brown, patterned or jewelled, there is something about birds that makes us, even for just moments at a time, lift our eyes away from our lives and up to the skies.

Birdgirl is the perfect read for fans of H is for Hawk, Diary of a Young Naturalist, and any young or aspiring environmentalists.

Discover a powerful, evocative and urgent new young voice in nature writing.

'Lyrical, poignant and insightful.' Margaret Atwood

'Mya-Rose Craig has done more than anyone to promote birding and environmental issues to young people from all backgrounds - especially women of colour - and deserves our admiration and praise.' Stephen Moss, naturalist and author

'Mya-Rose's passion and dedication for the causes she believes in are testament to what we humans can achieve when we are at our best.' Liz Bonnin, wildlife presenter and President of the Wildlife Trust

'Lyrical, poignant and insightful.' Margaret Atwood