Waking the Witch

Pub Date 18 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 18 Aug 2022
Bonnier Books UK, Hot Key Books

Talking about this book? Use #WakingtheWitch #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A darkly spellbinding story of witches, sisterhood and coming of age, steeped in Welsh mythology and Arthurian legend.

Ivy has spent years looking for her birth mother, but when she finally finds her on Bardsey Island, she is shocked by what greets her. According to folklore, the cormorants that fly over the remote Welsh isle are the terrifying witches of Arthurian legend - and they are searching for Ivy.

Her mum warned her not to come and to stay away from the lighthouse, but now it's too late. As the shadows draw closer, Ivy must look deep within herself if she wants to survive. For not every story in folklore is true, and some evils aren't what they seem...

An unputdownable new stand-alone novel from the bestselling author of THE TWISTED TREE and THE CROOKED MASK.

A Note From the Publisher

Thrilling contemporary YA with magical/horror elements based on the nine witches of Arthurian legend.

For fans of Michelle Paver, Neil Gaiman, Melinda Salisbury (HOLDING BACK THE TIDE), Krystal Sutherland (HOUSE OF HOLLOW).

Praise for Rachel Burge:

The Twisted Tree is a romantic, creepy, hugely atmospheric story. I loved it. - L.A. Weatherly

An original idea, with an unusual setting and some fantastic moments. - NM Browne, author of WOLF BLOOD

The mixture of Norse mythology and horror creates an atmosphere of Stephen King intensity - Irish Examiner

A creepy and evocative fantasy - Sunday Times

The dark, cold month of January is the perfect backdrop to this wonderfully chilling new novel - Viva Lewes

Creepy and amazing - MTV UK

Neil Gaiman's Coraline collided with Catherine Storr's Marianne Dreams, with a smidgen of Beowulf thrown in for good measure - Starburst Magazine

Hauntingly beautiful descriptions, juxtaposed against a ramping relentless sense of peril. Wonderfully eerie, deliciously frightening - Bookbag

So compelling and creepy, and would make a perfect Halloween or wintery read - Library of Books and Tea

Fantastic writing! - Chrikaru Reads

A beautiful and haunting tale - Book Murmuration

Praise for Rachel Burge:

An original idea, with an unusual setting and some fantastic moments. - NM...

Send to Kindle (PDF)

I adored this book, well written with an enchating storyline and well developed characters. Gripping and full of myth, legend and folklore. It workd really well as a standalone but the greedy bookworm in me would love this as a series as I didn't want it to end.

A thoroughly enjoyable novel with a fresh take on witches incorporating Arthurian legend. Burge's writing is excellent and she manages to captivate right until the end. I'd definitely read more in this world.

Fast paced fantasy which gave a satisfying twist to the Arthurian cycle. The prose is vivid and full of life. The plot is dripping with Welsh mythology. Thoroughly enjoyed this.

I was hooked from the very first chapter, there was always something there keeping me engaged.

Walking the witch had lots of themes and deeper meanings throughout . Not only are friends and family important but you can also kick ass on your own . That it’s good to not bottle things up, it’s a great way to bond and share with others whilst letting them know they can do the same with you .
The relationship between Ivy and her coworker Tom feels so real and builds beautifully . It never felt rushed or forced, just developed naturally.
Our main character Ivy works at a butterfly house and the life process of a butterfly is hugely important as a metaphor for Ivy which I really enjoyed coming to grips with .

The world building/setting was done so well and definitely made you feel engrossed in that environment.

I was slightly disappointed with the ending but only because I was hoping for more . I didn’t want the story to end where it did !

Overall a brilliant book about a young woman learning her true self with some spooky and fun magic thrown in .

Wow. Just wow. Absolutely fantastic read from start to finish.

Please tell me there is a book 2??

On my top Author list - can literally not fault the writing or the story one bit.

Thoroughly enjoyed this right from the start. The story follows Ivy who has grown up in foster homes and her journey to find out who she really is. The main characters were likeable and I liked the way the relationships developed. Definitely needs to be a second one. I want to know what happens next.

Thanks to netgalley, publisher and author

My 50 Word Review

This darkly supernatural novel was unputdownable, sublime pacing, a chillingly atmospheric setting, a flawed and feisty protagonist and the promise of danger sprinkled throughout like breadcrumbs. The anticipation and foreboding that I felt from the start was perfectly executed and the ending is poised for a sequel or your imagination!

Thankyou for giving me the chance to read this in advance. Brilliant as it wasn’t what I expected. Well worth a read

Everything about this book intrigued me and drew me in. The nod to arthurian legend, witches, Merlin. It balanced a great horror element with fantasy and right from the get go, I knew I was hooked.

I instantly warmed to Ivy’s character and found that whenever I put the book down, I couldn’t wait to pick it back up again to rejoin the story. The more I read, the more invested I became and wow, as I continued on, it definitely turned into ways I hadn’t envisaged!

I’ve never read anything by this author before but after this one, I’m certainly interested in any other of her books. Addicted to say the least and to the very last page I was kept on the edge of my seat. It was absolutely brilliant! Need the next one stat!

I’m in awe of how incredible this book was! It was full of mystery, folklore and magic, with beautiful, enchanting writing.

There was always something to keep me engaged. I loved the characters, especially Ivy, who had amazing development. I’ve read nothing by this author before, but you can bet I’ll be checking her other books out! Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher, for a chance to read and review this book.

Brilliant as usual! It was a different tone to Rachel's previous books, but still filled with myth, legend and intrigue. The things Ivy discovers about herself are fascinating and fantastical. A really good story, and I hope there is a sequel!

I really enjoyed Waking the Witch as a whole. While the dialogue felt strange to me, it wasn’t too bad and I was easily engaged enough by the rest of the story to not mind too much.
What I really loved about this story is its unique spin on King Arthur legends. I am a sucker for the Arthurian legends and any book involving them gets automatic points from me, so I was absolutely thrilled to read how this one played out. Again, it was such a unique spin on the events and I loved the shift in powers from it.
I wish there was a little more to the ending, to wrap things up a bit better, but if there’s going to be a sequel, then it works as an ending.
The romance was also incredibly sweet and I loved the inclusion of butterflies and a unique MC with unique interests. That really stood out to me.