Beyond the Frozen Horizon

Pub Date 1 Sep 2022 | Archive Date Not set
Little Tiger Group, Stripes Publishing

Talking about this book? Use #BeyondtheFrozenHorizon #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The earth is thriving – with wilderness status protecting land and wildlife, and scientific organisations researching new ways to support human life sustainably. Rory’s mum is a geologist on one of these projects, and Rory is beyond excited to join her on a work trip to the Arctic. But the project isn’t all that it seems, and Rory soon learns what’s at stake for the people and animals that live there…

A thrilling and thought-provoking ecological adventure from the author of the highly acclaimed WHERE THE WORLD TURNS WILD and BETWEEN SEA AND SKY. Perfect for fans of THE EXPLORER, THE LAST WILD  and WHERE THE RIVER RUNS GOLD

PRAISE FOR BEYOND THE FROZEN HORIZON:

“A truly thought shifting, light filled journal of environmental protection from an author whose awe-filled stories illuminate hearts and minds and light the way for change” Sita Brahmachari, author of Where the River Runs Gold

“A powerful story of hope – a glimpse into a brighter future, a world where we have taken action to protect our fragile planet” Rashmi Sirdeshpande, author of Good News

“A beautifully crafted story of wild encounters and conservation; one that will keep pages turning and hearts beating from start to finish” Rachel Delahaye, author of Mort the Meek

“With just the right mix of spookiness, action, intrigue and mystery, Beyond the Frozen Horizon takes Nicola Penfold to the next level. This story is both a warning and a celebration: of nature and the threats to it, and the importance of every single person in the fight for our future.” Sinéad O'Hart, author of The Eye of the North

“A gripping story that drew me into its icy clutches with a dystopian climate mystery. Polar bear encounters, dog sled rides, blizzards & hugs with arctic foxes, the action is both chilling and thrilling!” Lou Abercrombie, author of Coming Up for Air

“Beautifully evocative with a fantastic cast of characters and, as always, an important yet lightly told message about the necessity of caring for our precious environment” Sharon Gosling, author of The Golden Butterfly

“A sublimely crafted tale of loss, friendship and bravery set against a stunning but stark Arctic backdrop. Nicola allows the reader a glimpse of a future world where society has taken action to tackle climate change and offers us hope that change really can make a difference.” Jo Clarke, author of Libby and the Parisian Puzzle

“It’s such a stunning book, full of beautiful imagery and a strong message for readers of all ages, to respect the world we are in, both a thrilling and thought-provoking story, and one that of we take action now then we could have hope for the future of our world” Emma Finlayson-Palmer, author of Autumn Moonbeam

“Nicola’s reverence for nature and the natural world oozes from the pages of this breathtakingly beautiful story of the world and its response to the Climate Crisis. Thrilling and thought provoking and with powerful ecological messages of stewardship and sustainability – this is storytelling at its very best.” Kevin Cobane, teacher

“Beyond the Frozen Horizon is a lesson for us all. We must look beyond our own needs and think about impact on the world as a whole… Rory experiences this first hand and takes her readers on a high stakes adventure that will leave them thinking about their place and impact on the world for a very long time.” Kate Heap, Scope for Imagination blog

“An eco adventure, ghost story and love letter for a better world” Gill Pawley, Inkpots

Send to Kindle (PDF)

Beyond the Frozen Horizon by Nicola Penfold

Read this as an adult , before passing on to an 11 year old . We enjoyed the discussion which was about the many subjects the book covered . The relationship between a working mother and son , the environment , climate change and growing up in an ever changing world.
A perfect book for children and a great introduction for modern day problems.

This was a quick and easy read that was completely gripping right from the start and engaging all the way through. It was an atmospheric and descriptive read that was thrilling. It was an incredibly evocative and powerful read with such an important message. A great book for children.

Nicola Penfold's story telling is brilliantly evocative. Each book so far has a strong environmental message and Beyond the Frozen North is no exception. Set in 2030, during a time where there are strict Global Climate Laws and areas of the world have become designated wilderness zones and only the few can take an aeroplane and low impact living is compulsory, Beyond the Frozen North once again is a glorious opportunity for Nicola to demonstrate her understanding of the Climate Crisis and share this with readers of all ages.
In Beyond the Frozen North, we join Rory, on an adventure of a life time, as she accompanies her mum, an environmental geologist to the Svalbard archipelago where Rory's mum has to  write a report on Greenlight demonstrating that their extraction of rare earth elements won't impact on the designated wilderness zones.
There is a darkness within the pages of this story; both in terms of Penfold's thoughtful consideration of the future to come if the Climate Crisis is not impacted on now and as we venture with Rory we, the reader, discover that all is not what it seems in Pyramiden.
Penfold always teaches the reader something too. Explaining why icebergs look blue and that whales carbon sponges as well as sharing the existance of the Svalbard seed vault.
This is another thought provoking, conversation starter of a book.
A truly stupendous 5 star read
Thank you to Little Tiger and NetGalley for early access to this incredible book.

In the year 2030, world leaders pledged a coordinated and unprecedented response to the Climate Crisis. There are strict Global Climate Laws. Low impact living is no longer optional – it has to be compulsory if the world has any chance of recovery. Large areas of the Earth have been made into designated World Wilderness Zones that will act as wildlife refuges and absorb carbon. One of these zones is the High Arctic.

Rory’s mum is an environmental geologist. When she gets a new job with Greenlight, a company aiming to extract rare earth metals from the Arctic using special bacteria, they are given the chance of a lifetime – to travel to the Svalbard archipelago. Mum must write a report about the impact of the company’s plan while Rory is keen to avoid the loneliness of trying to fit in at school and see the northern animals she’s always dreamed of.

In the High Arctic Wilderness Zone, it’s essential visitors only. The animal population is finally increasing but it won’t take long before the wilderness isn’t really wild anymore. Every time a new person arrives, the natural balance is in greater danger. Local people in the town of Pyramiden are very suspicious of the intruders working with Greenlight. Old mining families, they know what can happen when everything goes wrong and can see the impact of Greenlight’s plans on the people, animals and the land. As truth is revealed, Rory tries to make friends with the local children and takes it upon herself to investigate their claims about the company. She wants to help and bring peace to the ghosts of the past.

Nicola Penfold’s understanding of the Climate Crisis and the human response to it is stunning. Even when the world is approaching the point of no return and people are forced to change their way of life, selfishness and a lack of respect for the wilderness take control. It seems that humans will never learn. Despite this bleak dystopian outlook, Rory proves that “Perhaps a child understands better than any of us.” She sees the impact of wrong choices and fights to prevent further damage that could last thousands of years.

The setting of this gripping story is a true celebration of the wild north. The land of bears, ice and lights, the description of its beauty is compelling. Having grown-up in Canada where winters get extremely cold, I shivered along with Rory. I recognised the shock of the cold air in her lungs, the heart-breaking power of a starry sky on an icy night and the majesty of the aurora borealis. Rory is desperate to see Arctic animals: seals, whales, reindeer, foxes, and the mighty polar bear. These animals are treated with the greatest respect and portrayed with realistic danger. They are as important as the humans who make their home there and their presence is the yard stick by which any environmental impact is measured.

Beyond the Frozen Horizon is a lesson for us all. Humans must change their ways. We must look beyond our own needs and think about impact on the world as a whole. The High Arctic is precious and something that can never be replicated if we allow it to disappear. Rory experiences this first hand and takes her readers on a high stakes adventure that will leave them thinking about their place and impact on the world for a very long time.

**I was so pleased to see the Svalbard Seed Vault mentioned when Rory and her mother first arrive in Norway. This is an incredible project – absolutely huge in its undertaking – that will have an impact years into the future. I have included an article about the Millennium Seed Bank in the UK and the Svalbard Seed Vault in my Years 5-6 Non-fiction book in the Developing Reading Comprehension Skills series.

Thank you to Little Tiger and NetGalleyUK for an early copy of this incredible book! It will be published 1.9.22

Nicola Penfold has written an exciting and highly educational novel for YA adults and older primary readers. Rory and her mum journey to the Arctic circle where her mum is employed to carry out research on the feasibility of mineral extraction in a designated reserve. Rory befriends the local community whilst learning about life in the area and the impact on the wildlife . As the story progresses, a growing understanding that all is not as it seems .A slow burner of a novel which builds up and pulls the reader in to Rory’s awareness that the need for local and indigenous communities to preserve their lives against the voice and manipulation of big business. The reader will learn so much as well as being gripped by the storyline . Highly recommended.