Call My Name

A Novel

Pub Date 15 Sep 2022 | Archive Date 15 Nov 2022

Talking about this book? Use #CallMyName #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Two women, bound together by contrasting personalities, friendship, love and home—until motherhood rips them apart

From Jenni Ogden, winner of the 2016 Sarton for Contemporary Fiction, the Gold Nautilus Award for Fiction, Large Publisher, and author of best-selling A Drop in the Ocean, comes a powerful and poignant novel set in the Australian tropics across three decades, exploring friendship, motherhood, grief, and forgiveness.

Her mother dead from a drug overdose, thirteen-year-old Olivia is rescued by Cathie Tulloch, her mother’s friend throughout the years they were held captive in Japanese prison camps in Sumatra in WWII. Welcomed into the Tulloch’s remote family home in the Australian tropics, introverted Olivia is claimed by dramatic, generous, controlling Cassandra Tulloch as her sister and best friend. Moving to the UK at 18, Olivia finds her independence — and partner Ben. But in 1970, after five years away, she is homesick, and ready to fulfill her long-held dream: to make a family of her own. But when the unimaginable happens, destroying the friendship with Cassandra that has been her bedrock for so long, Olivia tells herself that she doesn’t deserve a family, nor a place to call home.

"An emotionally piercing and absorbing account of turbulent female friendship over time, "Call My Name" is also a keen meditation on the powerful pull of connection and belonging—the places and people that shape and change us, forever calling us home."

—Paula McLain, New York Times bestselling author of The Paris Wife and When the Stars Go Dark

A Note From the Publisher

e-Book ISBN:978-0-473-62963-2
Paperback ISBN: 978-0-473-62961-8
Hardback ISBN: 978-0-473-62962-5
Audiobook ISBN: 978-0-473-62964-9

"A gripping story that’s hard to put down, Call My Name draws the reader into complex and deeply human questions about what it means to be a mother, a friend, a family. In Jenni Ogden’s moving and never-predictable novel, there are no easy answers to these questions, as her characters’ lives intertwine over three decades of joy, loss, grief, and—below it all, like a sustaining chord—loyalty and kindness. Call My Name reminds us that love calls us to be generous rather than possessive and that we can go on, even when terrible things happen, because we’re profoundly connected. Layered, sometimes shocking, yet shining with goodness and hope, it’s exactly the kind of story we need right now."

Barbara Linn Probst, Sarton and Nautilus award-winning author of The Sound Between the Notes and The Color of Ice

This is a love story ... a love story of couples, a love story of friends, a love story of families. It doesn't shy away from the messiness of love, the inevitable complications of long-lasting love, whether it be romantic love, or parental love, or familial love. Most contemporary in its inclusion of topics such as adoption, abortion, and surrogacy, it also looks back on the atrocities of war. A page turning saga that is fresh in its story, yet provides the warmth of an old-fashioned classic. "

—Romalyn Tilghman, Award-winning author of To the Stars with Difficulties, 2018 Kansas Notable Book of the Year.

“Vivid setting, dynamic plot, and likable characters come together beautifully to deliver an emotionally compelling tale of friendship, love, loss, and forgiveness. Call My Name is a fantastic read.”

—Jodi Wright, Award-winning author of How to Grow an Addict and Eat and Get Gas.

Filled with authenticity, compassion and grace, Call My Name will find its way deep into your heart and soul, and stay with you long after the last page has been turned.”

—Sally Cole-Misch, Award-winning author of The Best Part of Us

Call My Name felt so intense and raw that I choked up a few times while reading it…brings out the true essence of friendship. Powerful and inspirational.”

—Emma Megan, Readers Favorite, 5 Star Review

“…realistic, pulled at my heartstrings… unforgettable characters… A masterpiece.

— Jennifer Ibiam, Readers Favorite, 5 Star Review

Marketing Plan

Half-price preorder and launch sale on e-book.

25 stop Virtual Book Tour, US

Paperback, Hardback and Audiobook released simultaneously on Sept 15th, 2022: Amazon, Apple, Kobo, Nook, Google Play and others, world-wide. Audiobook also available on Audible, Audiobooks, Chirp, libraries and others.

NetGalley E-Blasts to US, UK, Australian and NZ readers in September.

Written Word Media Book Launch Promo Stack

Submit for BookBub New Releases for Less

Half-price preorder and launch sale on e-book.

25 stop Virtual Book Tour, US

EDITION Ebook
PRICE 3.99

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This was such a good read and will definitely be one Ithink about for a long time. I couldn't put it down it was powerful and emotive.

I would highly recommend this book to… anyone and everyone! This book will stay with you long after you've finished it, and in the most fabulous way!

A couple of summers ago I read and loved The Moon is Missing by Jenni Ogden so when I saw she had another book on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read it. \this book was heartbreaking and joyful in equal measure, much like real life. It begs the question, what does it mean to be a mother? But it also asks what makes a family? The story asks many pertinent and timely questions about abortion, adoption/surrogacy, and mental health. There was a lot to take on in this book as it spans thirty years or more but as usual Jenni Ogden's writing is emotive and she tells this story beautifully.

As long as this story was I was swept away in its telling and managed to read it in a couple of sittings. I loved the location of Australia and felt like I had visited there. The descriptions of the beaches, the sand, and the flora & fauna were absolutely lovely. Being on Olivia's journey to find a family and a place to call home. This was such a joy to read for many reasons but what I liked most was the fact that it is simply a story about life and love including all the good, the bad, and messy in-between.

Call My Name by Jenni Ogden was one rollercoaster of a ride. There was a lot of heartbreak with Olivia and Cassandra, and there were moments when I almost felt overwhelmed by it. I also at times felt frustrated with Olivia, but then in thinking about it, realized I would likely feel the same way that she did, although I wouldn't be proud of it! Jenni Ogden did a good job of setting the scene in Australia, a place I would love to go.

I liked the theme of family being something we can create rather than what we are born into.. this is very true!

There were some disturbing sections regarding the atrocities of war that weren't easy to read, but they are fairly brief.

Overall I enjoyed this read. There were a few moments when I was like "oh, c'mon!"- sort of the same way I felt reading a book like Angela's Ashes, when bad things just kept happening, but love and redemption can surely win!

Thank you to Netgalley and Sea Dragon Press for a galley edition of this book in exchange for an honest review!

A story that posed so many questions of my own feelings regarding the issues raised. Families, single parents, fostering, adoption, friendships, abortion, miscarriage, euthanasia, past experiences. It was a roller coaster of a ride through the emotions of the characters as well as my own. I was drawn into the story early on and hooked to the very end.. I highly recommend this book.

Jenni Ogden's done it again -- given us a beautifully crafted novel filled with the complexities, mysteries and joys of human connection within a family and between sisters, lovers and friends. At the heart of the story are Olivia and Cassandra, thrown together when Olivia's mother dies and she's sent to live with a family she never knew but that warmly embraces her arrival. Opposites in character and action, the two women develop a sisterly bond that is challenged and strengthened over the decades by their differences, their heartaches and celebrations. Each faces the constraints on women's lives in the 1970s and '80s in unique ways, and provides a worthwhile lesson in how society's beliefs and norms affect each woman's life path. Filled with authenticity, compassion and grace, Call My Name will find its way deep into your heart and soul, and stay with you long after the last page has been turned.