Benaghar

The Rat, The Wolf & The King's Fool: (Book One)

Pub Date 1 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 16 Jul 2022

Talking about this book? Use #Benaghar #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

“There are social questions raised in the book that mirror our own world. The divide between races, between rich and poor and the role of women in society.”

Perfect for fans of His Dark Materials, Dark Fairy Tales and Strong Female Characters.

Welcome to the City of Benaghar, where author F. K. Maddison combines her British, Kiribati and Chinese heritage in this epic dark fantasy fiction series.

The Rat, The Wolf & The King’s Fool (Benaghar Book One)

The Aebran Empire is in celebration; the Five Hundred Year War is over and the decampment of soldiers from the Raanian Seas is well underway, but there are those who are dissatisfied with peace …

Phæ’enor Doven, daughter to the most revered captain in the Aebran Army, has known a life of uneventful happiness, but that is all about to change. Along with other military families, she must now journey to her new home, the capital of the empire, Benaghar.

But on arrival, an incident in the harbour embroils Phæ’enor in the darker side of the city. In her quest to uncover the truth behind the events, Phæ’enor becomes unwittingly involved with the city gangs, the undesirables, the affairs of the royals and a piece of lost treasure that will change her world forever.

Perfect for fans of His Dark Materials...

“Many fantasy authors struggle to balance action with character development but this novelist strikes it perfectly.

The high-activity passages are interspersed well with great dialogue and heightening tension. An intricate and dangerous political background is slowly revealed through the eyes of the main protagonist. I found myself reading too quickly to find out the next twist.

I would recommend this book to anyone but particularly to readers who enjoy well-constructed and planned out worlds. The first book creates many questions and I look forward to the next in the series.” – J Tate

“Action-packed and a great storyline” – A Macy

“… such an engaging read. Astute character development and an awesome plot. Will read more Maddison in the future!” – G Waldron

“It draws you right into another world that you won't want to leave in a hurry. The best fantasy novel I have read in years, I love the world of Benaghar, its characters and twists and turns. Best of all, like other great fictitious worlds, I found myself wishing elements of Benaghar society were realities of my own. Absolutely captivating, wanted it to go on and on, looking forward to the next installment!" - S Dewey

“There are some lovely flourishes of imagination throughout and the whole story has a really distinct feel, I loved it." – J Bonthron.

The high-activity passages are interspersed well with great dialogue and...

ISBN 9781919605715