The Conductor

Book 1 of Rian Krieger's Journey

Pub Date 29 Jul 2022 | Archive Date 5 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheConductor #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Philadelphia, 1835. 11-year-old Rian Krieger demonstrates unfeminine aptitudes in her father’s factories.

She is swept into the city’s racial and economic turmoil when mentors introduce her to the Underground Railroad, the seamy world of fire brigades, and the abolition movement.

Then Rian learns about a house slave who wants to escape enslavement.

"The fascinating journey of Rian Krieger, looking for freedom for herself and others amidst slave catchers, idiots, Quakers, railroad visionaries, vigilantes and ordinary heroes in pre Civil War Philadelphia. Vivid dialogue, compelling and unexpected characters, and a sharp eye for historical accuracy bring to life the inner and outer worlds inherent to the fight to end slavery, the battle to establish equal rights for all people, and the timelessness of heartbreak — all from two centuries ago.""

Leslie Morgan Steiner, author of Mommy Wars, The Baby Chase, The Naked Truth, and the New York Times best-selling memoir, Crazy Love

I flew through it! There was so much to enjoy.(Written with) precision (that makes) the place and time come alive. The city teemed with the technology and politics and rivalries of the day; descriptions were deft and created verisimilitude without slowing the narrative down. I love Rian's arc and how much of a fighter she is. I also loved her ""awakening"" (if that's the right word) and increasing awareness of how the world works. That felt quite true to any time. I particularly liked the pacing of the book; (keeps) things moving and you use dialogue really well. Excellent and enjoyable!

Alex Myers - Author of the novels Revolutionary, Continental Divide, and The Story of Silence

Good story line. Wonderful characters. The scenes identified by the names of the characters is a technique used by one of my favorite authors: William Faulkner. I love the historical descriptions. It reminds me of Ragtime by EL Doctorow.

Philip Horn - Former Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts

ISBN 9781620065815
PRICE

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This was a really well done historical novel, you could tell that the author knew the time period and knew what the characters in the time period should be. Rian was a really unique character and I enjoyed going on this journey with her and the rest of the characters. It doesn't shy away from the darker aspects of the time. I enjoyed the way Mr. Roger A. Smith wrote and look forward to more in this series.

"We are here because when he bought his freedom, he left Greensville County, taking his little sister along with him. He never bought her freedom.” Pruett turned his attention to Jules. “I figure Cassie was worth about $800 at
the time, Jules. It’s taken me fifteen years to track you down, but I still want my stolen property back. Where is Cassie?”.

This book had obviously been very well researched. It is well written with an engaging storyline and well developed characters. a really interesting read