The House at Phantom Park

Pub Date 1 Oct 2022 | Archive Date 1 Oct 2022
Aria & Aries, Head of Zeus -- an Aries Book

Talking about this book? Use #TheHouseatPhantomPark #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

In this abandoned hospital, pain lives on... and it wants revenge.

St Philomena's military hospital has been abandoned for over three years. Now Lilian Chesterfield, who works for one of the most successful building companies in England, is in charge of developing it into a luxury housing complex.

But as soon as she and her colleagues start work in the Jacobean-style mansion, their dream turns into a nightmare. They hear screaming from wards full of empty beds. They hear doors slamming and find cutlery scattered over the kitchen floor. Then they see faces peering at them from the mullioned windows.

Lilian is pragmatic – she doesn't believe in the supernatural. But just when she's put her mind at rest by scouring the mansion from top to bottom and finding nothing, a former patient of St Philomena's arrives with a warning. The hospital is haunted. And it is haunted by something a thousand times more terrifying than ghosts...

Praise for Graham Masterton:

'One of Britain’s finest horror writers' Daily Mail
'A true master of horror' James Herbert
'One of the most original and frightening storytellers of our time' Peter James

In this abandoned hospital, pain lives on... and it wants...

EDITION Ebook

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I had the best time reading The House at Phantom Park by Graham Masterton

This was an expertly, skilfully plotted novel and on the outset the reader would never imagine how this one ends.
The mystery and building tension was very well done.
The characters were also very interesting, and well portrayed.
It was very intriguing but at the same time. The House at Phantom Park is one amazing horror story, was full of suspense and mystery and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.
My first time reading anything from the author and I'm very satisfied with my first experience.
I am so grateful to have been given the chance to read his newest release.

“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

Aria & Aries,
Thank you for your generosity and gifting a copy of this approved eARC!

Lillian Chesterfield has earned what she see’s as the career chance of a lifetime – she’s been tasked with turning St. Phiilomena’s military hospital into luxury apartments. Sure, the ancient mansion has stood empty and neglected for years and there are rumors that the building is haunted, but Lillian isn’t about to let a little mold or some ridiculous rumors keep her from realizing her dream. But when work gets underway, disembodied screams and objects moving around by themselves convince Lillian’s colleagues that they’re dealing with something supernatural and a former patient concurs. There is indeed something malevolent roaming the halls, something much. more terrifying than the dead. Masterton is one of the best literate horror writers publishing today. His books are always a terrifying treat

The House at Phantom Park by Graham Masterton

As a much younger person I devoured horror books , Stephen King , Robin Cook , James Herbert , but never Graham Masterton. Wow , I've been missing out on a wonderful author.
Fantastically creepy story which builds as the story unfolded with plenty of chills to thrill .
This book has re-lit my interest in horror and I will be looking out for the authors back catalogue.

4.5 stars rounded up

Graham Masterton has done it again! This man can write, there is no doubt about that. This is just another in his long list of amazing works. The characters are complex, the story is tense and atmospheric, and everything is just creepy enough. Can’t wait to own my physical trophy I mean copy!

I love this fast paced thriller/mystery. It was highly enjoyable from first page to last. The characters were real and relatable and the plot was incredibly interesting.

This was a creepy read with a dark and chilling atmosphere woven through the book. It was well written with a compelling storyline and well developed characters. I really enjoyed it.

Lilian Chesterfield is a successful British developer who has been sent by her company to the site of the now defunct St. Philomenas Military Hospital. Lilian and her company will be creating a luxury housing complex in the same spot.

Lilian finds problems at every turn. The true issue is that the hospital is not abandoned - the ghosts or spirits or poltergeists of soldiers still roam the halls. But because Lilian doesn't believe in ghosts, the spirits need to find another way to communicate with her - putting her life in danger. If you like haunted spots, abandoned hospitals and ghosts and poltergeists, The House At Phantom Park is for you!
#Aria&Aries #HeadofZeus #NetGalley #TheHouseatPhantomPark

In the best tradition of haunted houses Graham Masterton presents us with a former military hospital where strange phenomena are constantly occurring, affecting those who approach.
Although the plot is not new the author with his mastery knows how to make good use of it and gives us an entertaining book with a good dose of tension and moments of terror that keeps you trapped until the end.

It was an interesting read and my first Masterton book.
I went through the pages quickly since they were so easy to understand.
My favorite places to wander in mind are old, abandoned hospitals and asylums just mind as real things would not be as creepy as in the places in this book, on the whole an haunting read.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The House at Phantom Park, by Graham Masterton. I had many twists and turns and I would never have guessed the ending. I highly recommend this book

I do so love Graham Masterton. He's such a wonderful author. This book, minus a few continuity errors, was creepy, gory and visceral. I like how he played fast and loose with Middle Eastern mythology, mixed it with some great British gallows humor and seasoned it with just enough humanity to make you genuinely like most of the characters. (I say most of, because you're not supposed to like them all)

I enjoyed this book, and horror fans probably will too.

Thanks to Netgalley, Graham Masterton (a really nice guy, by the way) and Head of Zeus Publishing for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Thanks to Netgalley for a free copy for an honest review.

I must star this review with.. Please read it!
this book got me from the first page, it was truly well written. It was so entertaining, I couln't stop reading it. The character was so real for me that I was speaking with them.
I was really suffering with all the people in the hospital, each of them was suffering with something and was so real for me.
I never got bored, it was so intense, this book was the first I read of this genre. I will always recommend it.

Looking for a great quality read? look no further. I’m honoured to have been given this to read and review.
From page one I was engrossed all the way to the end. Every page worth reading.
I’ve always enjoyed this author’s work.

The premise of this book is interesting- it’s a take on the haunted abandoned hospital plot line that I found interesting. Do be warned, however, that this definitely has some gory descriptions.

The plot line kept me reading, as I wanted to know exactly what was going on with this hospital! The main character seemed a bit too insistent about her reluctance in believing in ghosts/supernatural elements for my liking.

I did not like that a female character’s pain/suffering was oddly sexually described, or that when some characters mentioned that if another character (keeping it vague so to not spoil) was a woman then God would need to help them. Both these instances were unnecessary and distracting as a reader, as instead of focusing on the story I was annoyed at the characterization of women/what was being implied about women. Both those references could have been easily edited out as they don’t add anything significant to the plot line, they’re just offhand comments.

Overall, I thought this was a good creepy story and I liked that it was something different than a typical haunted house story.

Disturbing. Original. Terrifying. The 'master of horror' is back with the chilling tale of what lurks in the walls of an abandoned hospital. WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW WOW. Do not miss this book. It is sooo well written, completely gripping so make sure you set aside many hours so that you can greedily devour it in one swoop. With an eye for precise detail balanced by a sweeping imagination, this beautifully constructed book is built on deep foundations. Read it at least twice….

Graham Masterton is a master of gore! The House at Phantom Park is a bloody tale of pain and what some took back with them from war. Cursed ghosts in a old vet hospital and the men and women who come along to repurpose the place into housing. One by one they are befallen and the need to figure out what is happening becomes immense. Terrifying, gruesome and one great read.

Wow what a book thank you ever so much for the opportunity to review. I could not put it down. Would definitely recommend to others

Loved this! Tense, intense and thrilling in all the right places - thriller-lovers must give this a shot, the author has done a fab job ! will look forward to more.

Graham Masterton has written another haunted property book, this time a old hospital that housed soldiers who were injured in Afghanistan and this book was not as graphic as some of Mr Masterton previous novels, I’ve always loved the depths he goes to, to get the back ground stories, to make it more believable. My only quibble was the ending as it was quite abrupt.

I received an ARC of The House at Phantom Park, by Graham Masterton. This is a really good book. Turning a haunted building into a new development , should not be that hard. Hearing people screaming when no one is around, people getting sick or injured, working on the project. A great book to read around Halloween.

I do not normally read horror, my over active imagination just does not do well with it. However, sometimes a book just comes along and begs to be read. Thanks to the publishers of The House at Phantom Park and NetGalley, this book did just that. And OMG, mind has been in a complete twist since I started the book. This book put me in the mind set of House on Haunted Hill. It even gave me moments of the jeebies and Lord when my dog barked after I'd really got going into it I nearly fell out of my chair. Luckily I love being scared, Graham Masterton will be my future go to when I feel the need for the feeling. I thank him for an amazing ride, which is always a given when you end up liking the character you disliked for the whole book, at the end.

I really enjoyed reading this book, it was weird and creepy and it kept me hooked the entire time. Full of twists!

I don't often read horror and I don't believe I have ever read a book by Graham Masterton. That being said, I kind of enjoyed it!

My interest was held and I was a little surprised at the ending- I got part of it but not all. I also thought some of the Afghani customs etc,, if they are true, were interesting to read about.

I will give a thumbs-down on the author commenting on how Lilian would get out of breath from going up the stairs, comments about her weight, and comments about her not putting Spanx on WITH HER JEANS. I mean, when you are fearing for your life and job, I don't think these things are worth much of a mention!