Isle of Dragons (#1)

Pub Date 21 Aug 2022 | Archive Date 6 Sep 2022

Talking about this book? Use #IsleofDragons1 #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Readers’ Favorite Award Winner 2021!

Now with all new scenes!

Watch steampunk technology and high fantasy witchcraft clash in this heroine’s fast-paced, epic journey to rescue her father and reveal the secrets of the noble court.

On the run from the royal army in a giant mechanical centipede, sixteen-year-old Jade Sol embarks on a dangerous adventure to help her father escape from the Isle of Dragons—a land of untamed magic that some believe only exists in myth.

When Jade is cornered by soldiers, a mysterious witch named Miria Atkins rescues her, calling on ancient spirits from a magical realm to channel their mystical energy into light and matter. Jade begs Miria and the sorceress’s mechanist brother, Dan, to join her quest. The siblings resist at first, but their hearts soften when they hear of her father’s fate. Their own parents had attempted an expedition from Vansh to the Isle of Dragons years ago and never returned. Together, the trio journey across the feudal countryside and trek across the sea to become the first humans to reach the elusive Isle of Dragons... or so they think. Die-hard readers of Angelique S. Anderson’s Dracosinum Tales and Jessica Drake’s Dragon Riders of Elantia series will find L. A. Thompson’s writing magnetic, impassioned, and clever in this novel’s twisting plot. The first in a trilogy.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Readers’ Favorite Award Winner 2021!

Now with all new scenes!

"Isle of Dragons champions fast-paced action-adventure without sacrificing the depth of its characters or the richness of its fascinating universe. Thompson’s bold take on world building manages to set the book apart and present a truly original narrative" by Maincrest Media

ISBN 000B0B85XJS29

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really enjoyed reading this book, itdoes what an opening to a series is suppose to do. I enjoyed being introduced to this world and the characters living in it. It had great elements of fantasy and I really enjoyed the journey. It left me excited for the next book in the series.

Read the e-arc, many thanks to the publisher and to Netgalley for allowing me to read.

What an amazing story! It had me captivated from the start: the elaborate world building and character descriptions, the delightful way of writing, the originality... If you want to be taken away on a magical adventure: please read this book!

The story felt exciting, with lots of layers and made me want to read on and on. I loved brave Jade and her companions. Yes, you meet a lot of characters in a short time but never does it become unclear or too much in any way because they are all well described and have clear characteristics. Sometimes the descriptions can be a tad much, but all is forgiven when you take in all the rest. The plot takes you from one surprising moment to another. Did I mention I loved the dragons?

I would like to rate this book 4,5/5, rounding it up to 5 stars. Thank you!

I really, really enjoyed this book!

The steampunk world was incredible! I liked learning about all the characters and their backstories.

I was really invested in the story - it was perfectly paced and easily captured my attention. The witchcraft in this story was really cool, and I liked the way they characters were able to apply it. Plus, Miria with her dragon charming added a whole extra layer to it.

I really loved this story and can't wait to see what happens next!

Thank you to netgalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review