Where is Anybody?

A Gideon Sable Novel

Book 5 of A Gideon Sable Novel

Pub Date 6 Aug 2024 | Archive Date 31 Jul 2024

Talking about this book? Use #WhereisAnybody #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Legendary master thief and conman Gideon Sable must pull off an impossible heist to save his partner's life in this fast-paced supernatural thriller from New York Times bestselling British fantasy author Simon R. Green

Gideon Sable specializes in stealing the kind of things that can't usually be stolen. But these days the legendary master thief is officially retired from the caper game. Now, instead of pulling off elaborate heists with his crew of supernatural specialists, he runs a magical shop in the heart of London with his partner Annie Anybody. Still, he can't resist occasionally going out in the night to steal things when Annie's not looking. For old times' sake - and for the joy of the con.

But after one of his late-night illicit jaunts, Gideon returns to the shop to find that while he's been stealing, someone else has been hard at work . . . stealing from him. I have taken Annie Anybody, reads the note on the countertop. If you ever want to see her again, you must find and steal Time's Arrow. You have forty-eight hours.

Stealing the legendary Arrow isn't a challenge; it's certain death. But Gideon will stop at nothing to save Annie from their unknown enemy - with or without the help of his talented, terrifying former crew . . .

PRAISE FOR THE GIDEON SABLE NOVELS

“A blast for urban-fantasy readers looking for a broken fourth wall riddled with dry-witted commentary”
Library Journal

“So strong that it should satisfy even the most demanding of caper-novel devotees”
Booklist

“Clever worldbuilding”
Publishers Weekly

PRAISE FOR THE GIDEON SABLE NOVELS

Library Journal

“So strong that it should satisfy even the most...

PAGES 192

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Another snappy, quick-paced modern fantasy from Simon Green. As always, Green specializes in throwing highly inventive ideas at the reader, nested in a quip-filled narrative and dialogue that almost qualifies as a book full of banter. In this volume, Green concludes the saga of magical ultra-thief Gideon Sable, his girlfriend/partner, and his quirky gang of associates. As is often the case with Green, a serious thread underlies the relentless pace and droll humor. It offers a nice capstone to this series, something that seems rare in fantasy. It is also brief and reads fast.

If there is a downside, it is the fact that most Green books are very similar in tone and can feel formulaic. This could be, for example, a Nightside book as easily as a Sable book. I suspect that is part of Green's appeal but I would like to see shim break the mold sometime.

I read and enjoyed all the five Gideon Sable novels. There's a lot of fun, humour, Gideon is a smart ass and the gang is crazy enough to keep me entertaining.
This time we start with a BANG and close with a BANG after saying good bye to some characters. There's surprises, there's humour and fun.
It could be the last in this series or a reboot but I will surely miss those who are gone.
Mr Green often uses a sort of template but I couldn't care less as I was having a lot of fun in reading this story
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher for this ARC, all opinions are mine

Ok I was late to the party where Simon R Green is concerned but I have now read three of his series and a few other things besides. It’s fair to say that he does follow a specific script when writing and he’s not afraid of leaning on the cheese. But frankly I don’t care. He comes up with great ideas, the worlds are always interesting and the character interactions are fun and engaging. It’s not hard-hitting literature but it is always entertaining and I always leave each book wanting the next one – no mean feat after reading 20 or so of his books within a few months. And this one was no exception.

I was hooked from the first page of this book, it had everything that I was looking for based on the other four books in the Gideon Sable series. The characters were everything that I cared about and felt like they were meant to be in this world. Simon R. Green always does a great job in writing a great story and can’t wait to read more from the author.

Simon R Green has so many series and I think they all exist in the same world. This series is pretty simplistic, but Green writes with his typical sense of humor and fun. The stakes are high -- aren't they always? And the bad guys are really, really bad. Gideon and his crew spend most of the book trying to rescue each other, and right when I'm thinking that there aren't any real consequences, we say goodbye to some beloved friends forever.
I will always read new books by Green, because they are so much fun. Thanks to NetGalley for letting me read this

I’ve been reading his author for years, so I know exactly what I’m getting when I read one. While his books aren’t perfect, I still quite enjoy them just like I did this one. Poor Gideon doesn’t know what to do with himself after Annie is kidnapped, and he can’t find her using any magical means. So, he gets the old crew together to find her. I was surprised at the end, as I generally am since this author usually has a twist, and this was quite a twist. I think this might be the last book in the series considering how it ended. Yes, this series follows a formula, but I still enjoy them anyway as the books are entertaining, witty, action-packed, and fun. Recommend. I was provided a complimentary copy which I voluntarily reviewed.

As this may be the last in the series, I'm giving 5 stars as I loved the characters and stories. Gideon wants to keep his hand in the con and goes out on night.y jaunts thinking Annie doesn't notice, until he returns to find someone found Annie and left a kidnappers note. The on.y way to get her back is retrieving an impossible item. His only option is getting the old crew back together and nonstop action results. Always snarky, the dialog doesn't disappoint and the action and adventure doesn't either. I guessed early on who was behind the kidnapping, but there is still surprises throughout the book with a final chapter to sum it all up, which I really appreciated. Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the trade of a free read for an honest opinion.

Where is Anybody? by Simon R. Green, a fun read that pulls you in and makes you want to keep coming back. Green is a master of the genre and is fairly prolific, I am always on the lookout for any new books of his and this one did not disappoint.

Humour and banter, over the top antics, a satisfactory if not usually predictable conclusion - just what I expect from a Simon Green novel and this one doesn't disappoint. Yes, it's similar in a lot of way to his previous books, but that's why I pick them up - I know I'll enjoy them! I won't comment on the plot, because really that's only an excuse for the banter and shenanigans!

I enjoyed the romps with Gideon Sable, Annie Anybody and the rest of their crew and am glad their adventures drew to a satisfactory conclusion (not always the case with fantasy series).

A light-hearted, fun way to spend a few hours - recommended.