Smoke and Murders

Book 2 of The Impossible Crimes Series

Pub Date 12 Sep 2024 | Archive Date 26 Sep 2024

Talking about this book? Use #SmokeandMurders #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Members of the Lewes Bonfire Society would say afterwards that the event would have been a huge success that year, if it hadn’t been for the dead body…

When the charred remains of MP Rupert Millington are found inside a burning effigy, no one knows how they got there, but there are plenty of rumours about whodunnit.

The lead suspect wants Detective Tess Fox and her con-artist sister Sarah Jacobs to help clear her name. She says she's being framed, but surely there is no smoke without fire.

The heat is on when a second victim is killed in a locked room while Tess and Sarah are in the building. Can the duo solve this puzzling mystery and find the real killer before they strike again?

'Glorious fun, packed with puzzles and twists. An absolute riot’ Tom Mead, author of The Murder Wheel

Praise for J.L. Blackhurst

‘A tasty whodunnit’ The Sun

‘One of the few authors where the twists leave me speechless’ Netgalley reviewer,⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

’A real puzzle box of a story’ J.M. Hall, author of A Spoonful of Murder

‘Incredibly ingenious’ Netgalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

’Twisty, tricksy and whip-smart … crackles with tension and humour’ Marion Todd, author of the Detective Clare Mackay series

‘From the first sentence to the end I was hooked’ Netgalley reviewer,⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

COMING SOON – PRE-ORDER NOW The follow-up to Three Card Murder and the second book in a gripping new mystery series introducing Detective Tess Fox and her con-artist sister Sarah Jacobs...

EDITION Ebook
PAGES 320

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I really enjoyed the first book so jumped at the chance to read the second one early! This did not disappoint! The relationship between Sarah and Tess is so genuine, and their dynamic is brilliant.

I think this book had less of Sarah's other "family" in it than the last, which I thought I would miss, but it worked really well when they were in the story.

The story was well paced with lots of twists and left you guessing whodunnit til the very end. Does end on a cliffhanger that shocked me, so I'm looking forward to the next one!

Bonfire Night is a big event in Lewes, with a long and proud tradition. But this year, the effigy (Donald Trump, as it happens) isn't just papier mache...

And there are no shortage of locals with reason to harm the deceased.

DS Tess Fox has plenty of other problems to contend with, not least within her extended and estranged family.

Another great adventure!

The second book about Police officer Tess and her half sister Sarah. The dynamic between the sisters is so satisfying, it's like being friends with them. With plenty of humour amongst the mystery it is so easy to lose yourselves within the story. An enjoyable journey to discover who the murderer is and whether any of the suspects are innocent. With an unexpected twist or two at the end, this is an amazingly written story and I look forward to the next installment of the story as I feel it has plenty of life in it.