The Not-So-Wicked Witch

Pub Date 6 Aug 2024 | Archive Date 19 Jul 2024

Talking about this book? Use #TheNotSoWickedWitch #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

On the sleepiest of nights, when the air is still and the moon is full, the conditions are just right… for WITCHES TO TAKE FLIGHT!

And among all these terribly wicked, cackling witches, is one… who is actually, surprisingly quite nice!

This little witch doesn’t enjoy being wicked like the others. Not one little bit. She doesn’t like creating mischief, she doesn’t like making a mess and she definitely doesn’t like any naughtiness!

The other witches decide that the littlest witch needs rescuing from all this icky, gooey goodness! It’s time for some lessons in wickedness, and the best way to do that is by making a completely terrible and utterly awful potion…!

Will our little witch leave her kind and gentle ways behind her and join in the wickedness? Or will she persuade her fellow witches that actually, being wicked isn’t all it’s cracked up to be?

This playful take on spooky witches from the award-winning Bethan Stevens takes readers to a magical world of wickedness and kindness. This is the wonderfully funny follow-up to the prize-winning Grumpy Fairies and the fairytale twist A Damsel Not in Distress.

And among all these terribly wicked, cackling witches, is one… who...

PAGES 32

Cute with a touch of eye of newt!

A delightful story that adults will love to read to little ones, children will learn how to be kind amidst the pressure to be naughty.

Filled with charming illustrations, the story isn’t just for Halloween despite the witches.

Perfect for any home library or classroom to teach the importance of being kind and being yourself.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for free and provide my honest review.

This book is super cute! My daughter and I enjoyed reading it together and it has such a great lesson. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone.

I read this book through Negalley. What a cute book that teaches a good lesson and gives good reason to children why things happen. Of course it is just for fun. I also enjoyed the diversity of children at the birthday party. Will be recommending and buying to give as gifts.

This was so silly and outrageous.

Maybe it's my dry sense of humor, but I absolutely loved the descriptions of the wickedness of the other witches! Their cackling and naughty expressions were excellent, them trying to convince the littlest nice witch how BAD it would be if they lost their wicked reputations- this one's gotta have an animated story teller to bring it to life!

The lesson was good and heartwarming without being too patronizing.

What an absolutely delightful story about the power of kindness!

We loved this take on little witches, who are responsible for all the wickedest things like lost socks, lego underfoot, and bedtimes. The prose is light and easy to read and well dispersed amongst the illustrations.

The messages about kindness are cleverly woven through the story. I loved the little witch’s approach of teaching kindness through modeling, rather than preaching or dobbing.

The illustrations were vibrant and expressive (delightfully snarky at times). The facial expressions on the naughty witches were excellent!

Thank you Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley for a copy of this book. Opinions expressed are my own.

A super fun book about the need for kindness!

The tale is about a witch who unlike the rest refuses to be mean, choosing always the kindest route regardless of how laughable that is to the other witches! Through fun little illustrations, easy vocabulary and a really easy to understand message this is a great read for really young audiences!

Not So Wicked Witch is a sweet and cute lesson on kindness, vanquishing mischief, promoting more friendship, helping others, less selfishness, less mean actions because kindness and friendship get the best rewards.
Awesome art, love the character design, and the design of the pages, someone makes me want to draw myself as a little witch and be their friend too.

Thank you, Publisher and Netgalley, for this e-arc.

This was such a cute little book. I always love a theme that being different and kind is something to be encouraged. I loved the silliness of sending this message through a nice witch (and who knew witches love marshmallows!). This would be a great Halloween read for kids.

This was such a cute and fun read !! I loved it and I think that so many other kids will too. It makes for a great bedtime story or a classroom read. The illustrations were adorable and I’m impressed the author was the one to draw them. It has a great message that being good is better than being wicked. I would recommend to everyone and I’m thinking of purchasing a copy for myself.

Thank you to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for this e-ARC.

I received an ARC of “The Not-So-Wicked Witch” by Bethan Stevens from NetGalley, Quarto Publishing, and Frances Lincoln Children's Books in exchange for an honest review.

This delightful picture book was written and illustrated by Bethan Stevens. Few have the ability to do both—writing for children and illustrating for them—but Stevens did a fantastic job. The author uses watercolors to illustrate this darling tale of a little witch who, unlike her playmate witches, is actually very sweet. Stevens shows children that it’s actually better to be sweet than devilish. This is a cute book that is written thoughtfully and expertly illustrated. Children (and adults!) are going to love reading this. I highly recommend!

This book is adorable! The illustrations are great! My nephew really enjoyed this book! It’s light, fun and recommend this book to be added to your October reads (or all year reads if you love witches as much as I do)

What an adorable book. Cute illustrations, prose that flow, and a fun story with a good lesson. Definitely recommend!

The Not-So-Wicked Witch is an adorable story about a witch who is kind and helpful. The other, mischievous witches, decide they need to help her become more wicked. The witches try to get her to help make a sneaky potion to make kids sleep so they can steal all the marshmallows (because witches love marshmallows), but instead, she finds another way to fulfill their marshmallow craving.

This is a sweet story about the magic of kindness. The text rhymes well and is easy to understand. The illustrations are cute and colorful. This is a great story for any kids during spooky season and throughout the year!

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for the advance copy.

Advanced book @netgalley kids book recap 📚✏️✂️📖🖌️🖍️

The Puzzle Piece by Andrea Mendoza (May 13) The most beautiful story in how to help children love themselves and be their most authentic self. I’m excited to read more of her books. Wonderful conversations to follow this with my kids!

Gathered at the Table by Glenn’s Nellist (Sept. 9) Using poems, it explains Jesus last supper and his time at the table. Such a profound, kid appropriate explanation of the communion.

Rosie’s Wild Ride by Paige Murray (Oct 7) Her completion doesn’t go quite as planned, but what if we keep going and ask “What if I can?” as we follow big dreams! I can’t wait to get this for my daughter. Loved the illustrations.

Night Magic by Leigh Ann Henson (Sept 23) This was SUCH a fun book of information. Why does it take so long for the eye to adjust to night? Lots of great information with this book and at a child’s level.

The Mountain and the Goat by Slamk Taghaddas (Sept 23) I loved the concept of teaching resourcefulness in this one. Loved the storyline.

Sea Dog Boats by Astrid Sheckels (Jan 14) To learn all about boats, let the dogs lead the way. All about the ABCs and nautical adventures this is a really cute story!

Twelve Days of Summer by Sherri Meret (July 1) “On the first day of summer…” The animals take you on a summer adventure as you sing along! My kids LOVED this adorable book.

Franklin’s Trees by AJ Skenkman (July 1) A story about young President Franklin. A history major myself, this was a really cute informative book.

Outdoor Skills for Kids by Buck Tilton (June 3) My son thought this book was the bees knees. He learned so much from it and kept talking about “when you approach an animal this is what to do..” He was so excited to share all he learned.

A Very Dinosaur Christmas by Adam Wallace (Sept 2) The giggles with this one! Dinosaurs at Christmas is silly.

Spooky Poems Aloud by Joseph Coelho

The Story of Dinosaurs by Catherine Barr

The Not So Wicked Witch by Bergen Steven’s

Pips Adventure by Ashling Lindsay

Paul the Peacock by Tilly Matthews

Happy Halloween Fiona by Zondervan

The Adventures of Cam E. Chameleon by Donna Herweck Rice

This is a cute little story that is fun to read out loud and will be fun to read to little ones, it teaches children how to be kind amidst the pressure to be naughty, and how to stick true to who they are and not give in if others around them are being mean. It's filled with fun illustrations and despite the theming of witches, the story isn't Halloween themed. I think this would be perfect for any home library with little hands or a classroom/nursery.

In a world full of wicked witches, one is different. She believes being nice is better than acting wicked, and wants to help others see this, also. The cat illustrations were great, as were the facial expressions.I like the use of bright colors and the diversity of children. Well done.

This was a really fun and cute story with a good message behind it. Me and my daughter love books with witches so it was real treat and the pictures where great to.

What an adorable book! I loved the message of kindness triumphing over wickedness, the illustrations, and the unique take on witches. Loved the idea that all of life’s little inconveniences are actually naughty witches being mischievous. The not-so-wicked witch was so sweet, especially when she was trying to get potion ingredients. Gosh this was a cute book, great for early grades and preschoolers.

What an adorable children’s story. I am a huge fan of halloween related picture books and The Not So Wicked Witch really takes the “CAKE” here. The pictures are colorful and engaging and the story is heart warming and sweet. This story can be read year around. At its core The Not So Wicked Witch has a virtuous lesson about being kind and doing good in the face of adversity. It encourages going against the tide to do what’s right. This story is great for children and fun for parents as well.

My child and I enjoy reading books where a character is transformative and challenges the status quo when it is wrong, or does not meet all expectations.

This is fun, funny, and cute.

A great book for younger children.