Potions and Proposals

Village of Foxford

Pub Date 24 Aug 2024 | Archive Date 19 Jul 2024

Talking about this book? Use #PotionsandProposals #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Pre-Order Potions & Proposals and on release day you'll receive:

The first chapter in book 2 of the interconnected series.

The veil between love and hate is blurring.

In the mystical town of Foxford, tenacious translator Lucinda Hawthorne is on the brink of assuming the prestigious role of High Priestess. However, fate has a mischievous twist in store for her: an unexpected coven gathering reveals that her lifelong nemesis, Benedict Matherson, is also nominated for the esteemed position. They are presented with a grave ultimatum: either become magically bound to one another on All Hallows' Eve... or risk a fateful vote that could strip them of everything.

Both fiercely independent and driven by their unwavering desires to lead, Lucinda and Benedict reluctantly agree to the binding ritual. Unfortunately, the spell Lucinda's family casts to thwart the coven's plot misfires with surprising consequences, and the pair find themselves magically intertwined in ways they never could have foreseen.

With the shadow of All Hallows' Eve looming over them, the veil between love and hate blurs. Could it be that amidst their rivalry, they will unearth a hidden longing to remain united? Together, they must confront their demons and discover whether they truly desire to be parted after all.

✨Tropes & Themes ✨

Elemental Magic

Reluctant Allies

Open Door Spice

Witchy Coven

Readers! Please note: this is an adult paranormal romance with mature content and not suitable for those under 18. This novel contains themes of and not limited to violence, death, discrimination based on use of magic or type of magical creature.

Pre-Order Potions & Proposals and on release day you'll receive:

The first chapter in book 2 of the interconnected series.

The veil between love and hate is blurring.

In the mystical town of...

✨Reviews for the Village of Foxford✨

Enemies-to-lovers trope is expertly crafted, drawing readers into a web of emotions - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I love that there wasn't a 3rd act breakup. 2 people who used to "hate" each other, constantly pulling pranks, while also caring about each other, is such a unique relationship. - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Watching them come together against all odds, and put their prank rivalry aside for something more powerful was so heartwarming. - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Lucinda and Benedict's witchy tale has made me want to pack my bags and move to Foxford. - ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

✨Reviews for the Village of Foxford✨

I love that there wasn't a 3rd act breakup. 2 people who used...

ISBN 9781916684355
PAGES 440

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Enchanting Premise

Kate Callaghan's 'Potions and Proposals' brews a charming blend of magic and romance, crafting a tale that sweeps readers into a world where love is as potent as the most powerful potion. The premise of a world where potions shape romantic destinies is fresh and imaginative, offering readers a delightful escape into a realm where love knows no bounds. This concept of magical elements influencing love can be seen in various folklore and mythologies, where love potions and spells play a significant role in shaping relationships. Callaghan's ability to weave this magical premise into a contemporary romance setting adds a unique and captivating twist to the genre.

Endearing Characters

The characters in the book are wonderfully crafted, each with their own quirks, desires, and magical abilities. From the spirited potion maker to the adventurous love seeker, readers will find themselves rooting for these characters from the start. This attention to character development mirrors the importance of well-rounded and relatable characters in storytelling. Just like in real life, readers are drawn to characters who face challenges, grow, and evolve throughout the narrative, .

𝙋𝙀𝙍𝙁𝙀𝘾𝙏 𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝙍𝙀𝘼𝘿𝙀𝙍𝙎 𝙒𝙃𝙊 𝙒𝘼𝙉𝙏:
• Witchy vibes with elemental magic and potions/spells.
• Charming plot with captivating MCs.
• Romance that is sweet and steamy but not spicy.
• Dislike-to-lovers.
• Happy endings.

If you are in the mood for a witchy romantasy and elemental magic, then look no further. You know when everyone can see when two people fit together perfectly but those people are the last to see it? That’s Lucinda and Benedict. The librarian and next coven leader versus the manor/inn owner who is a descendant of dark magic. ❤️🖤

The writing was great and gripped me... I needed to find out what happens with their love story. I loved the reluctant love story line, the banter between the characters, and the small-town vibes. I really liked it when the MMC turned more possessive/protective. Swoon!! 🔥 And his pet name for her! 🥰

Thank you for the ARC, @callaghanwriter and @netgalley!

Title: Potions and Proposals by Kate Callaghan
Release Date: August, 24th, 2024

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Stars

In the mystical town of Foxford, Lucinda Hawthorne, a determined translator, finds herself in a twist of fate when her long-time rival, Benedict Matherson, is also nominated for the prestigious role of High Priestess.
Presented with a grave ultimatum, they agree to a binding ritual on All Hallows' Eve to avoid risking their positions. However, a spell gone awry results in unexpected consequences, magically intertwining them.

As they navigate their newfound connection, the line between love and hate blurs, prompting them to confront their inner demons and explore hidden desires. With All Hallows' Eve approaching, Lucinda and Benedict must determine whether their rivalry masks a deeper longing to remain united.

I absolutely adored this book! It's like a magical rollercoaster ride through a fantastical romance realm.

Watching Benedict and Lucinda go from foes to friends was such a joy, especially given their complex history and the unexpected twist of fate that brings them together. The slow-burn romance is expertly crafted, and the charming town of Foxford provides the perfect backdrop for their love story to unfold.

The characters are so lovable, and seeing them grow and change over the course of the book was truly heartwarming. Overall, it's a spellbinding read that strikes the perfect balance between humour, romance, and fantasy.

Thank you to The Publisher BooksGoSocial ,The Author Kate Callaghan & NetGalley for an advanced reader copy (ARC) in exchange for my honest review.

A perfect witchy romance.

The relationship between Lucy and Benedict progressed naturally and sweetly.

I loved the magical town and the idea of safe havens for supernatural beings.

Excited to see more from the author.

This was a very cute and fun read. I typically like my fantasy books to be more deep but this was a refreshing take on fantasy. I genuinely loved both Lucy and Benedict and loved seeing them grow through each chapter. I felt like the world and system was written perfectly, not too overbearing in the beginning and simple enough to not feel overwhelmed. I enjoyed this much more than I thought I was going to.

Fun and enjoyable to read! Not very descriptive which is what I want, since I do better with characters talking instead of just describing what rooms look like. Very nice! Thank you! :)

Upon entering the town of Foxford, I fell in love with these characters.

I loved how the nickname Benedict gave Lucy was his favorite food. The thing he loved most. It was clear that he loved her from the beginning.

The slow burn made the wait so much better. I totally understand Lucy in thinking her feelings might be warped because of the poison.

The whole book gave the vibes of vampire diaries, it was really fun.

I can't wait for the next book in the series, I need to know what happens with Faye!!

Thank you to Net Galley for giving me a copy of this book. I loved the characters and setting of a magical town. I was quickly drawn into Lucy and Benedict's relationship and where it would go. I would love to see spin off books about the other characters in this story. A great fun read!

Kate Callaghan's *Potions and Proposals* is an enchanting blend of romance, magic, and tension set in the mystical town of Foxford. With its rich backdrop and compelling characters, this novel is a delightful treat for fans of witchy tales and the enemies-to-lovers trope.

At the heart of the story is Lucinda Hawthorne, a tenacious translator on the cusp of becoming the High Priestess. Her world is turned upside down when she discovers her long-time nemesis, Benedict Matherson, is also in the running for the prestigious position. The coven’s surprising ultimatum forces Lucinda and Benedict into a reluctant partnership: they must either bind themselves to each other on All Hallows' Eve or face a potentially devastating vote.

Callaghan excels at weaving tension and chemistry between Lucinda and Benedict. Both characters are fiercely independent, driven by their aspirations to lead. Their animosity is palpable, yet as the story unfolds, the layers of their relationship reveal a complexity that is both engaging and heartwarming. The initial spell meant to thwart the coven's plans backfires, binding them together in unexpected ways and setting the stage for a thrilling journey of discovery and transformation.

Foxford, with its magical small-town charm, serves as a captivating setting. Callaghan’s world-building is rich with elemental magic and witchy coven traditions, immersing readers in a vibrant and mystical atmosphere. The town and its inhabitants come to life through vivid descriptions and well-crafted details, making the magical elements of the story feel both authentic and enchanting.

The novel's pacing is brisk, driven by the looming deadline of All Hallows' Eve. As Lucinda and Benedict navigate their forced partnership, the veil between love and hate begins to blur, leading to moments of unexpected tenderness and passion. The open-door spice adds an extra layer of intensity to their evolving relationship, making their journey from reluctant allies to lovers even more compelling.

*Potions and Proposals* is more than just a romance. It explores themes of identity, power, and the courage to confront one’s deepest fears and desires. Lucinda and Benedict’s journey is not just about finding love but also about personal growth and the realization that true strength comes from embracing vulnerability and connection.

Callaghan’s writing is both witty and evocative, perfectly balancing humor, romance, and magical intrigue. The dialogues crackle with sharpness and wit, adding depth to the protagonists’ dynamic. The secondary characters, from family members to coven peers, enrich the story, providing both support and obstacles that further challenge and develop the main characters.

For fans of the enemies-to-lovers trope, magical small towns, and richly woven tales of love and rivalry, *Potions and Proposals* is a must-read. Kate Callaghan has crafted a spellbinding romance that delights and enchants from start to finish. This novel is a testament to the magic that can happen when love and hate collide, making it a perfect addition to any romance or fantasy lover's bookshelf.

“‘Why do you have to call me pumpkin just to annoy me?’ she asked, locking the case once he’d put it back in its rightful place.

“‘I never intended to annoy you. It’s just my favorite. The food that makes me feel like I’m home,’ he admitted. Like it wasn’t supposed to turn her into a pile of mush.”

🥹

This book was so damn sweet. It made me ready to skip summer altogether so I could curl up on a brisk, fall day with a pumpkin-scented candle, a warm blanket, and a spiced cider. Imo, that’d be the ideal way to experience this cozy contemporary small-town fantasy romance. Despite lacking the perfect ambience while reading, I loved watching Lucy and Benedict go from their silly pranking rivalry to realizing their true feelings for each other (with the help of Grams’ potion, of course). I can’t wait to see what happens in Foxford next!

Things to expect:
🔮 A delicious slow burn
🔮 Rivals-to-lovers perfection
🔮 Witchy spell hijinks
🔮 Unexpected displays of jealousy and possessiveness
🔮 Small town “everyone knows your business” vibe
🔮 A lovable surrounding cast of characters
🔮 Topped with a little steam 🌶️

Thank you to NetGalley and Kate Callaghan for the ARC in exchange for an honest review 🩵

I am very excited to be reading this book! My full review to follow.
Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This was such an enjoyable read! The fact that I zoomed through it on a holiday says a lot about the fun and cool story, and a bit about the curiosity caused because of the slow-ish burn.

“Fate can rather be amusing in that sense; sometimes a wrong turn can lead us to where we’re meant to be.”

Lucinda and Benedict’s witchy tale has made me want to pack my bags and move to Foxford, magless or not. If that isn’t possible, can Broomhilda send her cousin over, pretty please?

Thank you, NetGalley for the opportunity to witness the magic of Foxford before the world! Looking forward to more tales from the charming town 🧙🏻‍♀️

Potions & Proposals was a sweet and easy read filled with magical shenanigans and small town family history.

Fire and Water, color and neutrals, chaos and order: Lucinda and Benedict were the ever-classic opposites attract pairing. Constantly being a thorn in each other’s side since the time they were children, an impending change in town leadership, prank gone too far, and meddling mamas thrust the two of them into accepting an arranged binding come Halloween. One month to prove themselves and find a way out or be bound together for the rest of their lives.

Only of course it cannot be that simple: a mixed up spell cast by a well-meaning grandma (and mother) forces the two rivals to work together to get out of their predicament after swapping their elements. A lesson in understanding one another if I ever did see one.

✨rivals to lovers
✨opposites attract
✨arranged binding (like marriage but soul-deep
✨small town
✨family heritage
✨he falls first
✨forced proximity
✨romantic rival

There were a few times in the beginning when I felt the transitions were a little wonky (aka slightly jarring in the time switch) BUT overall the flow of the story was easy to follow. It was just the usual stutter of first-book syndrome introducing the new world and its characters. Once I got a decent way into the story, everything flowed so smoothly and I got sucked in to the rivals to lovers arranged marriage romance. Especially with the added drama of a potential romantic rival, meddling families, and small town celebration prep amidst the magical mishaps.

Something about a rivals to lovers story where one side has always had feelings for the other but the other couldn’t believe it and thought they were joking around really grabs me every time. Rivals know everything about the other person (or at least a ton about them) but Benedict paid attention to Lucy’s favorite books and made sure to read them all. He got her spell books when they were younger to help her when she couldn’t figure things out. He got her a hot water bottle for her cramps even at the cost of his own exam. He even asked her to the big dance when they were teens because he knew she wanted to go. But of course, misunderstandings got in the way of her seeing all of these gestures in the moment and led to their antagonistic relationship. Now with their circumstances, past moments come back to light and Lucinda is made to see Benedict in a different way. Not only that, but Benedict is made to confront the truth of his own feelings as well. Love it!

Definitely would recommend this one to people who like paranormal romcoms, small towns, magic, and rivals to lovers romances.

I found this fast paced romance to be incredibly entertaining and the connection between the two characters is undeniable. Everything about their story was cute and you couldn’t help rooting for them. There was some spice in the book though I wouldn’t label this as a spicy book overall. The love story was believable and really drew me one. I think this is definitely something to add to your spooky season reads!

This book will be apart of an interconnected standalone series. While the main two characters of this book’s story end I am looking forward to seeing where life takes the other characters.

4⭐️

” In the mystical town of Foxford, tenacious translator Lucinda Hawthorne is on the brink of assuming the prestigious role of High Priestess. However, fate has a mischievous twist in store for her: an unexpected coven gathering reveals that her lifelong nemesis, Benedict Matherson, is also nominated for the esteemed position. They are presented with a grave ultimatum: either become magically bound to one another on All Hallows’ Eve… or risk a fateful vote that could strip them of everything. Both fiercely independent and driven by their unwavering desires to lead, Lucinda and Benedict reluctantly agree to the binding ritual. Unfortunately, the spell Lucinda’s family casts to thwart the coven’s plot misfires with surprising consequences, and the pair find themselves magically intertwined in ways they never could have foreseen.”

This was a very cute fun read. I ended up reading the book in one sitting. Watching Benedict and Lucinda turn from rivals to romantic partners was a joy to read. The slow burn was executed extremely well and made me want to keep reading. The charming town of Foxford was the perfect backdrop for this story. Kate Callaghan’s world-building was done extremely well and it made me feel like I was in that world with Benedict and Kate. Lucinda and Benedict were very well written main characters and that made me even more invested in their love story. The magical hijinks were interweaved extremely cleverly throughout the story.

This is the perfect read for a cozy fall day.

Tropes: Enemies to lovers, small town magic, witches, opposites attract

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.

Rating: 4⭐️ Spice: 1🌶️
Dual POV - 3rd person

Tropes:
Enemies to lovers
Arranged marriage
Small town
Reluctant allies

The story follows Lucinda Hawthorne and Benedict Matherson, enemies from the time they were in school. After a prank gone wrong, the two are forced to unite and be bound together or face exile. Reluctantly agreeing, the two find themselves in a precarious position. The line between hate and love becomes very thin as they work together to find a solution to another mishap.

I was initially drawn to the cover. I’ve never read this author but after reading the blurb I was hooked. I enjoyed the book, even with usually disliking 3rd person novels. It was a slowwww burn but the pace of the story made up for the lack of romance between the two. It felt like there was a set up for a conflict between the newcomer and main characters but nothing ever happened. I think if that conflict had come to fruition it would really elevate the storyline. Overall still a really solid read.

'Potions and Proposals' by Kate Callaghan is the first novel in the enchanting 'Village of Foxford' series.
Foxford is not simply a village but a magical one - populated by witches, vampires, ghosts etc. And life could be idyllic, with the villagers living in (relative harmony) and visitors to the village providing much needed income.
Of course, there would not be a story if things were perfectly peaceful ..... our two protagonists are Lucinda Hawthorne and Benedict Matherson. Friends and enemies since childhood, the duo are forever playing pranks on each other. Now, Lucinda is expecting to take over from her mother as the High Priestess of the village, but the other members of the coven are questioning her suitability and Lucinda and Benedict find themselves being bound together. As a result, all sorts of fun and high-jinks as the pair fight their growing attachment for each other, meanwhile trying to save themselves from being forced to leave the village. And they must navigate the, well-intended, magical antics of their respective families.
Full of humour and an entertaining reluctant love story, this is the perfect summer read - full of positive vibes and fun.

Did I want to read a whimsical small town witchy romance? Yes! Did I get one? Absolutely!
The whole town of Foxford had me under a spell throughout reading this, and I was dying to continue the story every moment I could.
Benedict and Lucy’s story was a beautiful rival to romance tale with witchy goodness intertwined. The slow burn felt just right to their relationship, and the banter between them made me giggle throughout. The added elements in the magic system was so interesting and I liked that it was different from other similar cosy reads. I was completely invested in their love story from the very start, and I loved that there was no third act break up or dark cloud looming overhead. I wanted something light and happy and this was exactly it.
Thank you to NetGalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review.

oooooo this was such a great witchy vibe and the romance was so hot. i love the halloween deadline and it was just a fun read!!!

Potions and Proposals by Kate Callaghan is a fun fall read set in the magical fictional town of Foxford. This book is dual POV from the perspectives of Lucinda Hawthorne, the daughter of the High Priestess, and Benedict Matherson, the owner of the popular hotel in town and her lifelong enemy. When Lucinda plays a prank on Benedict that affects more than just him, the council decides she might not be the best fit to take over the High Priestess position from her mother and nominate Benedict for the role. They are also given an ultimatum: either be bound to each other on All Hallows Eve or they will vote on who the new High Priest or Priestess will be and the person not voted in will have to leave the town. They both reluctently agree, but when Lucinda's family perform a spell to stop the binding, a mishap occurs that ends up magically intertwining Lucinda's and Benedict's lives in ways they never could have expected!

This was such a fun read and it is perfect for fall! Lucinda and Benedict were such fun characters to pair with each other and i loved reading the slow burn of their relationship! Learning about all the magical pranks they had played on each other really helped show how much history they had. The fictional small town of Foxford was such a great setting for this book and had so many fun side characters. I laughed so much throughout this book and ended up reading most of it in one day.
Tropes to expect are: Enemies to lovers, arranged marriage, magical small town, and reluctant allies.
Thanj you to NetGalley and Kate Callaghan for the ARC!

A cozy town of witches, maybe some werewolves, witchy politics - and a rivalry of hijinks that leads to more than expected for both parties. A fun and entertaining light read.

If you are looking for a book to kick off your fall - this is the PERFECT one. Benedict and Lucy are the sweetest couple set in a magical town. I laughed and had a few tears. This book covers my favorite trope of enemies to lovers (with a little forced marriage thrown in). Kate Callaghan did a great job giving the needed banter between the enemies and lovers with minimal spice (so your Grandmom could read this book too!). I also enjoyed the fact there was no third act breakup. I give this book 4.5 ⭐️ - highly recommend!

i love the enemies to lovers trope and this does it so well! the mix of romance, fantasy and comedy worked so well here, it felt like a warm hug.

the writing was so beautiful and i loved our main characters - i knew so early on that i was falling in love with lucinda and benedict. i also loved the cozy fantasy and witchy elements, i think the setting and the world really added to the romance.

i’m so excited to read more from this author!

thank you so much to netgalley, the publisher and the author for the arc 🫶🏻

I read this ARC for honest feedback.

I really enjoyed this book! It was such a cute and cozy story, and I loved watching Benedict and Lucy fall for each other. The buildup between them was so well done. I cannot wait for book two, as I really feel like the character in this novel have more stories to tell!

Potions and Proposals is a book about young witches trying to navigate their role in their magical communities and the challenges of being part of a community with a rich history. It subtly focuses on the challenges young adults face when stepping into a role they feel they might be ready for, which is relatable to many young adults. It also has romance, and I would say that while magic caught my attention, romance kept me reading. It also addresses judgement from others due to things outside one's control and its effects.

I enjoyed the characters in the book because they were pretty realistic. They had a depth of personality, and it was interesting to see how they reacted to specific challenges and grew into their future roles in the magical community. It was repetitive when they tried to overcome the issue, as many methods they used were not explained well. I felt that the problem being resolved was a little anticlimactic.

Overall, it is an excellent read for getting out of a reading slump, and I am excited to pick up the next book in the series.

This is a cute enemies to lovers, arranged marriage fantasy book. Lucinda and Benedict are childhood rivals who find themselves having to either wed or risk being voted out of their small magical town. And when a love spell gets involved after they both agree to the engagement…well, what’s life without a little chaos? 😉

Definitely worth the read for a cute, witchy romance with all sorts of magical shenanigans and pranks.

This book got off to a bit of a shaky start for me, with the rather over-the-top prank-related rivalry between the two main leads, but I quickly found myself drawn into the charming town of Foxford. The characters were fun; the plot fairly low stakes, but with a few surprisingly dramatic moments; the relationship sweetly engaging and their misadventures entertaining.

Overall, a fun, light read that should slip nicely into both the new adult romance and cozy fantasy genres.

I look forward to visiting Foxford again in future as I could see the set-up for several more books here!

Lucy and Benedict are long time enemies who prank each other, when a prank goes wrong their parents make them bind together in order to work together for the High Priestess position. When a potion goes wrong, or maybe right? They are stuck in forced proximity to work together to resolve the issue. With the heat kicking up a notch both figuratively and literally, the water flooding the floors and souls, they being to realize what they have been missing out on for the past few years.

This is a wonderful book that touches the surface of potions and enemies to lovers romance. Within this ARC there are a few grammatical errors but overall I really enjoyed reading this book. Thanks NetGalley for the opportunity!

*** I received an e-ARC of this book from BooksGoSocial through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review***

🗣️ Fantastic! This book had everything I wanted in: magic, mystical creatures, humor, conflict, and eventually love. It was fast-paced and easy to read. The characters are easily likable and I can’t wait to see what happens next. This should definitely be your next witchy read, you won’t be disappointed! I’m ready for the next book!

✨ Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley.

Lucinda and Benedict have spent their whole lives pranking each other. When they are forced to be bound, despite their ‘dislike’ for one another, we see them go on a beautiful adventure to discover if they truly are right for one another.

This was a lovely read! I enjoyed all the characters, the story felt magical and it was incredibly cute. The relationship felt natural and loving, and I really enjoyed seeing everything unfold, and I especially enjoyed there not being a third act break up. There was a storyline that didn’t feel very resolved- which confused me a tad but perhaps that is the next book in the story? I’m unsure but I’d love to find out.

Overall I really enjoyed the book, and feel 4 stars is an appropriate rating!

This story had everything I look for in a cozy fall read!

Lucinda and Benedict are childhood rivals who live in the cozy town of Foxford, a sanctuary town for supernatural beings. They have been playing pranks on each other for as long as either can remember but when one prank goes to far and risks exposing the town the coven begins to question if Lucinda has what it takes to take her rightful place as High Priestess or if Benedict would be a better fit for the role.

The coven gives the two rivals a choice, let them vote and the losser would be banished or the two would be magically bound together to show their commitment to their town and each other.

I loved the characters and couldn't wait to find out what happened. There was great banter throughout and I loved seeing what these two would get themselves into next! I can definitely see myself rereading this book over and over!

Thank you to Netgally and Kate Callaghan for the opportunity to read and leave an honest review for this book

What it is about:
Childhood “friends” Lucinda and Benedict find themselves in competition for the role of the next head of the Foxford coven of witches. The town of Foxford is a sanctuary for paranormal beings, although they do not all live in perfect harmony. This competition lands them unexpectedly in an arranged marriage to each other! Even though they have know each other since childhood, the idea of marriage initially is rejected. However, circumstances and events bring them together in order for them to realize that their childhood squabbles might be much more.

What I think:
This was such a feel good, witty, fun, witch romance set in the small town of Foxford. This town is known to the magless as being special but magic is not flaunted. I really loved both main characters: they are relatable, well developed, and funny in their own ways. I am interest to see how the enemy of paranormal beings “the order” plays out in future books. There seems to be a lot more to this story and I have many questions about what will happen next.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Potions and Proposals is a terrific blend of romance and magic. It had the perfect pace and held my interest. The romance is a sweet one so if you are expecting spice this might not be the choice for you. I however, found it to be a delightful read with a wonderful cast of characters and a setting that just had me settling in to read.

Thank NetGalley for the chance to read this lovely book.

I’d say rating for spice is light rating for writing from the heart and cozy loving vibes 💯

What an absolute joy this book was to read, its well structured enemies to lovers with magical small town supernatural setting.

I feel in love with Benedict giving me Adam driver vibes he was the perfect goth gentleman with a slanty smile and I can only imagine his voice like Alan Rickman.

Awww Lucinda aka Pumpkin is just so ditzy but strong she has him already in thrall without knowing it.
The binding ritual was so beautiful and the customs with the cloak and the rings absolutely had me swooning .

I am looking forward to book too! Please let it be about Peter , he needs love that isn’t undead !!! With a side of Rosie and Emerson .

Loved it please more more more .

This was a fun and cozy romance! It’s a perfect, light fall read. I enjoyed the development of the relationship between the two main characters and always appreciate a community run by a powerful woman.

There was a character who seemed to be building up to be a potential antagonist, but then it never came to anything, so that was strange and felt a bit anticlimactic. There were actually a few loose threads where stories were started and then abandoned. Perhaps the intention is to make it a series, but it wasn’t clear whether it was intentional or not.

Overall, an easy and fun read with magic and romance.

This book was a fun cozy read. I enjoyed the different fantasy characters, and the twist of the magic switch. I can’t wait to see how the characters develop in book two

4.5⭐️
This book was SO fun! I loved the banter and the little “world” of Foxford. The enemies to lovers ABSOLUTELY sent me and i couldn’t put this book down! The perfect cozy read especially around halloween. this book is by far a new favorite

What a magical romcom! I have been thoroughly enjoying fantasy romance and Kate nails the genre. I loved it!

I really like this! Lucinda and Benedict go from enemies to lovers, which is my thing, and it's sweet, not spicy. 3rd person works for me. too. It's fun and nicely paced.

Thank you to NetGalley, Kate Callaghan, and the publishers for allowing me access to the e-Arc.

4.25 stars

I am a big fan of witchy rom-com. I loved the way this story was told. Lucy and Benedict have been pranking each other since they were kids. It’s so sweet that have been interested in each other throughout the years. It’s a hate-to-love romance in a small town. Can’t forget the meddling family members. I’m so glad that I got to read this book. I look forward to reading more from Kate Callaghan.

I highly recommend it!

I love a good enemies to lovers and this did not disappoint. I would love to read more books in this world as I feel like it just scratched the surface of some of the characters. Benedict and Lucy's relationship is great to read and written beautifully and it really does put a whole new spin on "walking a mile in someone else's shoes".

I was gifted this book by Net Galley, all thoughts and feelings are my own.

The story of Lucy and Benedict was a delightful and adorable rivals to lovers romance with a bit of slow burn. Couldn’t put it down and enjoyed every minute. The magical town and various hijinks kept me entertained along the way.

I really enjoyed this romance based in the village of Foxford and will look forward to meeting more characters and reading more tales from this quaint magical place.

I really enjoyed the Foxford world. The book seemed long to me wrapping up rather easily and quickly. All kinds of characters and their worlds were introduced but not necessarily explored. Definitely had the feel of setting up for a sequel. That being said I gave the book 4 stars instead of 3.5 because I will most likely read the sequel as this one left me curious about the village and the world of the surrounding woods as well as the Order.
Thanks to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for a preview of this book. This review is my own opinion.

Dive into the magical world of Foxford with Kate Callaghan's enchanting fall read, **Potions and Proposals**! Follow the sizzling dynamic between Lucinda Hawthorne, daughter of the High Priestess, and Benedict Matherson, the town's charismatic hotel owner and lifelong nemesis. When a mischievous prank gone wrong puts their fates in jeopardy, they face a choice: marry each other on All Hallows Eve or risk being forced out of town. What follows is a spellbinding tale of unexpected love, hilarious magical mishaps, and a vibrant small town that will captivate you from the first page to the last. Get ready to be swept off your feet by this delightful blend of enemies-to-lovers romance, small-town charm, and captivating magic. Don't miss out on **Potions and Proposals** —a must-read from Kate Callaghan that will leave you craving more!

I was really excited to read Potions & Proposals because it's about a magical town called Foxford , where people use elemental magic.
Our main character Lucinda works as a librarian, translating magical books, while Benedict, the other main character, owns a mansion that serves as a hotel.
Lucinda’s mom is the head of the coven, and Lucinda is expected to take over, but some things happen that make it difficult. Lucinda and Benedict used to be enemies as kids, but they’re forced to get engaged because they’re supposed to rule the coven together. If they don’t, one of them has to leave Foxford😥
Then Lucinda’s family tries to use magic to save her from a loveless marriage, but it doesn’t go as planned. It’s a cozy book with vampires, healers, the grim reaper, and werewolves as side characters. The story has a really lovely setting. I’ve always loved fantasy books, and when I saw the cover of this one, I knew I was going to love it 😻
It’ll be published on August 24, 2024.
I recommend this book to all romantasy fans out there.
My rating -4/5⭐️

Potions and Proposals, by Kate Callaghan, is an adult paranormal romance novel, with a great character lineup and enough magic and romance to keep it interesting. It was a fast-paced story without too much spice. Overall, it was a fun witchy romance that kept my interest throughout.
Thanks, NetGalley and the publisher, for providing me with the ARC ebook I read and reviewed. All opinions are my own.

I just finished this book and I absolutely loved it! The enemies-to-lovers trope was done so well, and I really enjoyed the cozy small-town vibes. It was really well-written and I couldn't put it down!

Foxford is a town home to the most magical of people and to two of the most notorious pranksters-Lucinda Hawthorne and Benedict Matherson. These two families have a long history together with the Hawthorne matriarchs ruling as the High Priestess. Soon it will be Lucinda's turn but after a prank leaves the Matherson hotel with a bad review, a secret coven meeting reveals an ultimatum, bind herself to Benedict or risk being kicked out of the town. After an attempt to hinder the binding ritual, a potion goes mistakenly wrong and the two finds themselves leaning on each other more than ever before.

This was my first ever ARC and for that I will love it forever! I can't thank Kate Callaghan enough for letting me read her novel! This was a super cute, dual POV, witchy novel that I think will be perfect for the upcoming Halloween season. I liked the elemental magic which is something I haven't seen a lot of in witchy books. There was a perfect amount of spice, as well! I always expect romances to be a little cheesy, but overall, this was a great read! I will definitely be preordering a copy so I can have a physical copy for my shelves!

Benedict and Lucinda are the magical enemies to lovers we’ve needed. I adored their banter and the hijinks they get up to (both past and present) are so fun! You can almost see them happening. Their romance is a bit slow burn, but so worth it in the end!

This was such an interesting world. We’re in Foxwoods, which is a sanctuary city for magical creatures. We have witches, werewolves, vampires, and grims (so far). I feel like there is so much more to learn- we mostly dealt with the witches.

I kept waiting for a huge suspenseful reveal or something that didn’t happen- but the ending worked for me! I’m excited to see how things play out in the next books because I still have questions.

Overall, this was a really fun read and I’m excited to see more of the world and characters we met.

Potions and Proposals is a cute, fun witchy read set in the town of Foxford, where witches, wolves and vampires live alongside magless (humans).

I enjoyed the lighthearted story of Lucinda and Benedict, who start out as enemies, but find themselves falling for one another after being forced into a binding ceremony by the leaders of their coven. The dual POV kept the story interesting, and made it easy to like both of the main characters.

There are some of my favorite tropes in the book, such as, arranged marriage, slow burn, forced proximity, elemental magic, and small town vibes.

If you love a quick, easy, supernatural romance read, then I would definitely recommend Potions and Proposals.

This was a great book! The enemies to lovers in this story was so good! I really loved reading this book. And the story was so amazing!

Potions & Proposals
by Kate Callaghan
4⭐️

witchy romance 🔮
arranged marriage
life long enemies to lovers 🦎
forced proximity
dual POV

I am a huge fan of witchy/paranormal romances but they can be so hard to find sometimes because they are very hit or miss for me. I’m happy to say I found another book to add to my fall witchy book recs! I absolutely loved Potions & Proposals! Benedict was so adorable, misunderstood and head over heels for Lucy. I absolutely LOVED when he confessed that for years he’s been secretly buying up all the books he’s seen her reading because he wanted to understand what took up her undivided attention! I love to read light fluffy romances in between fantasy books and this is the perfect cozy paranormal romance for it! I will be adding this to my witchy book collection when it officially releases in August!

Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for this arc in exchange for an honest review!

*will be posted on IG on 7/25/24*

Enemies to lovers? Check. Magic? Check. Open door spicy scenes? Double check, I enjoyed this book very much- I loved the small town vibes, the witchy-ness, and ADORED the way the enemies to lovers trope played out.