For God's Sake

Religion, Atheism and why I gave them up

Pub Date 1 Dec 2013 | Archive Date 3 Feb 2014

For God’s Sake tackles the serious theme of spiritual development and the role this might play in our current environmental crisis – all in the form of a heartfelt, and often very funny personal memoir.

‘Over the years, I’ve been an athiest and I’ve also flirted with all manner of religion. I’ve been on Buddhist retreats and New Age meditation courses. I’ve led spiritual development weekends and read far more spiritual books than is good for me,’ observes author Alan Budge. ‘I wanted to write about this in a way that would engage and entertain the general reader – as if Nick Hornby had written The Power of Now. The end result is For God’s Sake.’

Peak District author, Alan, has a long standing interest in spirituality, and has worked for a number of faith-based organisations. For God’s Sake is his story of how, having given up on the (entirely godless) realm of would-be smart London restaurants, he journeyed widely (and frequently wildly) through India, China, Tibet, and parts of West Yorkshire in search of enlightenment.

Alan’s unflinching quest for truth – incorporating walk-on parts for everyone from Marianne Faithfull to the Dalai Lama – led, not entirely unexpectedly, to a far from enlightened descent into alcoholism and misery. Having sobered up, and grown up (a bit), our hero began to ponder what was really at the heart of all this spiritual carry-on? And was it of any use, given the challenges we face? All good questions.

For God’s Sake is written from the heart and offers a fresh look at some serious issues.

No Advance Praise Available