Wildblood

A dark urban fantasy-noir

Pub Date 29 Oct 2024 | Archive Date 1 Dec 2024
BooksGoSocial | Parliament House Press

Talking about this book? Use #Wildblood #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The Witcher meets October Daye with a splash of John Wick in this dark, gritty, and sexy urban fantasy-noir.

Kai Donovan has always had sharp teeth.

Earning his keep as an underground fighter in South Boston, he revels in well-earned notoriety. Wild. Irreverent. Vicious. His secret: he’s the monster from a fable.

But when Kai loses a match against a mysterious opponent whose ferocity rivals his own, he finds himself beholden to the underworld. What he owes isn’t money, but the recovery of an elusive prize coveted by the city’s most dangerous criminals.

His partner Miya—burdened with the ability to traverse dreams—spends her days investigating supernatural phenomena. When she receives a shadowy proposal to find a missing teenager, she’s confronted with the possibility that another like her exists.

As Kai and Miya chase ghosts, the threads of their pursuits weave into a menacing tapestry. Kai’s dark past returns to haunt him, threatening the bonds he believed to be ironclad. Unhealed wounds fester as he’s faced with a ruinous choice: unravel his blood-soaked history or lose himself and the life he’s scavenged together.

Bare your teeth. The nightmares are at your door.

Wildblood is a companion novel to The Chaos Cycle Duology. It can be enjoyed as a standalone, though familiarity with the duology may enrich reader experience.

Kai Donovan has always had sharp teeth.

Earning his keep as an underground fighter in...

"“A gritty adventure through a dark, supernatural version of Boston, complete with bad-ass and morally grey characters that keep you turning the pages.” – C.N. Crawford, author of the Demon Queen Trials

""Gritty, sexy, and steeped in diverse lore, Wildblood is the perfect dark urban fantasy."" – Jenny Hickman, author of A Cursed Kiss

“Wildblood is a raw, unflinching, emotional gut punch! Combining the dark strangeness of dreamscapes with real-world terrors, Vrana weaves a compelling tale of mobsters and monsters, but also of found family, bravery and, ultimately, love.” – Katya de Becerra, critically acclaimed and Aurealis-nominated author of When Ghosts Call Us Home

EDITION Ebook
ISBN 9781956136777
PAGES 430

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

A riveting fantasy adventure that captures your imagination. The author masterfully blends magic, adventure, romance and intrigue into an unforgettable story. Highly recommending it!

A very fun read! Overall I enjoyed this seeing that it follows our man Kai. Fighting off monsters and the mob that are slightly terrifying. This book made it so enjoyable to read but maybe that’s just my experience when it comes to horror/fantasy books!

I have to start by telling you, this book made me so freaking happy!
I mean, it also kept me on my toes guessing, reminded me that many people fucking suck - but many more are truly wonderful, it will get you hot (depending on how immune - or not - to 🌶🌶 you are), make you angry, remind you that found family is one of the best kinds, and also, kitty - if you've ever had an orange cat you know!!

For the first time (properly) since we met him in The Hollow Gods, we get to dive into Kai's head (with him as the only resident!) and Vrana skillfully tugs on the threads of repressed memory, ptsd, anguish, intrusive thoughts, and hopelessness before weaving these multiple strands into a single tale that affects so many more people than just Kai and taking us into the recesses of memory and nightmares, the underworld of the Russian mob, and back out into the light.

Being back with Kai, Miya, and the gang felt a lot like heading home, I think about the chaos duology a lot and I really enjoyed getting to see Kai's story and learn more about him. I've always appreciated his snark and sass, as it's really rather refreshing in a character and I always felt the way he is devoted to Miya ran deeper than simply fate. Seeing his vulnerability and his turmoil in Wildblood will really strike a chord for a lot of people. BUT...it also serves as a reminder that even if you feel like you are beyond repair, or that you are undeserving of even simple kindness, help is there, even if it is just one person telling you they've always got your back, and that's the real beauty of this book.

Wildblood is out on October 29th. Go. Go now!

Damn, this was such a wild ride. This book had me in a choke hold. The mythology behind the story, the magic mixed with a real world, it was amazing! But, what had me reeling was Kai going to therapy to understand why he was hurting those he loved, apart from deeply hurting himself. Is letting go of your fears to be the monster you need to be to protect those you love. Miya is a wonderful character, and their relationship was beautifully constructed.
Wonderful book, and I can't recommend it enough!

"If it spared someone pain, if it honored their wishes, why not be the monster they needed?"

Greatly enjoyed. I was confused as this was the first book I’ve read by this author, but the plot was explained in a wonderful way. Every part of this book was very interesting and I will definitely be buying when it releases.

Wildblood
Easy 5 stars!
Let me Start by saying what an absolute gem this book was, I've seen it posted about in a Facebook group a few times and thought I would try my luck at the eArc and boy it did not disappoint.

This book is a companion novel to a duology The Chaos Cycle, which I was unaware of until I began reading. It did not negatively impact my reading experience. The author provides sufficient world-building and character backstory, to enable this to be read as a standalone. ( like I did)
I could not put this book down, it was so entertaining! The plot was solid, the writing was beautiful, and I absolutely loved the two main characters and the love they have for each other.

The book contains a significant amount of graphic violence and gore, which may be disturbing to some readers.
I want more of Kai and Miya so I will definitely be picking up the authors previous books.

I loved this book. I started it and before I could finish, I read the books that came before it — The Chaos Cycle Duology. I cannot get enough of this couple. The inner-growth of both was insanely satisfying. The fact that the story represents a woman strong enough to demand change and a man who’s willing to work through his trauma is great. The storyline flowed really well. Ive been recommending it to everyone who will listen.

Wild Blood
By A. J. Varna.

Sexy, gritty and dark.

This book is all of things and more.
I found it took me a while to get into the storyline. But once I did…. I was there for the ride.

I loved Kia’s character and his development throughout the narrative. A dark, lovable and gritty character.

Fantastic banter and lots of snappy scenes to sink your teeth into.

A brilliantly layed out plotline that will have you on the edge of you seats….

A wickedly intriguing and immersive experience.

Thank you to author for the arc!

Okay look, I already had the special edition of this book pre-ordered and then I saw it on NetGalley and ran to request it. I’ve been so freaking excited for this book so when I started reading it I was… so shocked with how good this was?!

Don’t get me wrong, I expected this book to be amazing but it exceeded all my expectations. I flew through this and finished it in one sitting surprisingly enough, that’s how much I enjoyed it.

If you like spicy and thrilling stories with a morally grey mmc then I would recommend this to you absolutely. But I do recommend checking the trigger warnings before reading, as it could be triggering to some!