The Happy Balance

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Jul 2019

Wir haben es schon immer gewusst und nun haben wir ein weiteres Beweisstück in der Hand: Nahrungsmittel können heilende Wirkung haben oder das Gegenteil.
Sehr schön strukturiert und aufbereitet, ein Gewinn für jedes Bücherregal und jedes Menschen Gesundheit (trotz Frauenthemen natürlich auch für Männer!).
This was a great book, especially since I have POS and I found it so comforting that nutrition can help with my condition. I saved most of the recipes in this book and the tips on what to eat. Loved it and couldn't recommend it more!
This cookbook is for woman who are in their reproductive years. A terrific “how-to” lifestyle guide on helping your body to manage hormone levels with some help from your diet.
The author begins her book by stating that the book is not to be used for treating medical conditions, curing diseases, or as a substitute for medication.  The author thoroughly discusses the effects that hormones imbalances can have on your physical and emotional health, and how eating certain foods and avoiding others can lead to a healthier and stabler you!
You will not go hungry, there are so many varied recipes in this cookbook that even finicky eaters will find food that they like!
The recipes use dates, maple syrup, nut butters and cacao for sweeteners; wild, black and brown rices, sweet potatoes, buckwheat soba noodles, flaxseed, buckwheat flour, healthy pasta for starches; and coconut yogurt, coconut cream,
hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower and pumpkin seeds for making smoothies, milks and desserts.
You will enjoy fixing Blueberry Breakfast Smoothies with blueberries, almonds and sweet potatoes, Almond Butter And Ginger Crumble Granola made with rhubarb, rolled oats, ginger, coconut oil and flaxseed, and Cherry Cacao Teff Pancakes made with Teff flour, almond milk, flaxseed and rolled oats.
For lunch, the Chunky Veggie and Quinoa Soup looks delicious! There is also a colorful Peanut Soba Jar made with buckwheat noodles, coconut milk, peanut butter and ginger.
There are even comfort foods such as Lentil Shepherd’s Pie with Creamy Cashew and Sweet Potato Mash, Coconut Butter Cups with cacao, coconut butter and sea salt flakes, and Chocolate Peanut Bars sweetened with dates, peanut butter and dark chocolate!
I enjoyed the book - however I felt it was more geared towards the 20 - 40 age female group, a lot about female hormones and what foods should be eaten to control hormones, reduce mensural problems, etc overall not a bad book but as a 52 year old vegan and plant based foodie lover its not something i would purchase myself.  There a a glut of similar books in an already saturated market.
I  received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Yes! As a recent convert from vegetarian to vegan I’m always on the lookout for suitable cookbooks. Looking forward to giving the recipes from this a whirl
In this intriguing vegetarian cookbook, the authors posit that women can eat in a way that helps keep their hormones in balance, whether they are still menstruating or are in perimenopause or menopause. They even have a section in the book where she described the endocrine system and the hormones that can affect us cyclically or after we are no longer having cycles. Some of the general advice about eating healthy is just that, general—the type that you see in many books or on websites about carbs, sugars, etc. The recipes themselves look creative and fun for those who eat a vegetarian diet. There is quite a lengthy section on breakfast ideas, including juices, smoothies, and breakfast bowls. There are also sections on lunch and dinner (of course), salads (including a lovely one on jarred salads), sides, desserts, and DIY (like making your own nondairy milks and nut butters). Quite a lot of the recipes seem to be involved or time consuming. Most of the recipes have common ingredients, though some do have some offbeat ones that you would need to order online or get from your favorite local health food store.
I have thyroid disease and was hoping to find some delicious recipes that could also help me feel better, but I honestly didn't find any I'd like to try. It may help someone else, but it didn't speak to me.
"The Happy Balance" provides an overview of hormones related to the menstrual cycle and natural ways to balance those hormones, plus recipes. The author started with a "crash guide" to the hormones and menstrual cycle. She then talked some about how to balance your hormones through nutrition, exercise, managing stress, avoiding toxins and pollutants, and how some medications can affect your hormones. This is not a comprehensive or highly scientific guide, but it may be useful to those who know little to nothing about the topic.

She included 60 recipes (plant-based and mostly whole-food, minimally processed ingredients) for things like smoothies, juice, and other drinks, main meals, salads, soups, sides, snacks and desserts, nut butters, dressings, and dips. She also indicated what recipes are good for different times in your cycle. She often used greens that I'd never heard of before and (non-gluten) grains that are also pretty hard to find even when it comes to my health food store. She pointed out specific ingredients in each recipe that were good for hormone health (and why). Overall, I'd recommend this book to those who have PMS or irregular periods.
This is a great cook book for women at various stages in life.  The focus is on hormone health and it is especially useful for the various stages of menopause.  It is a feel good book packed with information and lots of nourishing recipes.  The only downside were some of the ingredients are not readily available, and it felt as though they were a little more complex than necessary.  I am not a great lover of smoothies so would have liked to see more healthy biscuit and cake recipes.  The pictures are lovely and definitely make you feel like cooking !  Overall a good book that highlights a crucial area of women's health.
I picked up this book because of an ad I keep seeing on television that promises weight loss and happiness through the centers hormone balancing. I couldn't help but think: "is that really a thing?"

I'm still skeptical,  but after going through the book, I can't help but feel that there is a lot of good information in it. It has a suggestions for a lot of different ideas and 60 recipes that sound yummy. Since I'm trying to add a lot more plant-based foods to my diet, I am looking forward to making my way through them.
The happy balance, 60 recipes to nourish body and mind, is a must. An informative book but also delicious recipes and a personal stance on healthy eating as the authors experienced helath issues and share their experience with us.
The book includes recipes to help with menopause and perimenopause among others. It is not a list of dos and don'ts but instead it shows us that we need to be flexible.It is packed with information about hormones, the menstrual phase, etc and is most useful! I particularly love the advice on how to regulate stress and sleep which are 2 of my own problems!
In conclusion, I highly recommend it!
Interesting premise for a cookbook; however, I always add a healthy dose of skepticism as soon as I see "detox" in a narrative.  Full disclosure - I am not a vegetarian, but I do try to eat more plant-based foods.  That said, I am always looking for more delicious healthy foods.  I am eager to try some of the recipes in this book - starting with the sweet potato chocolate mousse.

In addition to a variety of recipes for breakfast, smoothies, lunch and dinner, there are some yummy looking dessert recipes.  The book also includes quick recipes for plant-based milks and butter.

The answer to better balance, health and vitality is in your hands: with a few simple steps discover improved energy levels, better sleep, healthy weight, clear skin and more!

The human body is complex – it is a delicate balance of systems working together to keep us at optimal health. And we are disrupting it. Instead of working with our bodies, we are constantly stressing them, with toxins and pollutants, with unhealthy lifestyles and high-stress levels, with nutrition-poor diets and sedentary lifestyles. We have become hopelessly out of sync with our natural rhythms.

By following a simple nutritional plan and easy lifestyle principles, we can bring our bodies back in tune and reap the rewards of uninterrupted mother nature. With expert advice, lifestyle tips, and delicious plant-based recipes let The Happy Balance be your trusted guide to a vital and energized life. Put you back in control of you.

As a perimenopausal woman, this book was an ENORMOUSLY welcome read as I am always hot, bitchy and having stomach problems.  The extensive information in this book is written so it makes sense, especially the Healthy Hormone Checklist as I am failing that in a spectacular manner.  Even if you are not menopausal or a woman you would probably enjoy these recipes and suggestions... the Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie inhaled by my husband this morning was a hit, although I did not have maca, ashwagandha, chaga, or vegan protein powder to add to it. (I don't like smoothies as the texture throws me off, but the taste of this modified smoothie was a hit for his palate.)

The only downside is that a lot of the ingredients (maca, spirulina, ashwagandha, chaga, cocoa nibs, vegan protein powder, etc.) are expensive for the average person so my rating is 4/5 instead of a perfect 5 as a result.
As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millennials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🌶🌶🌶🌶 (because if you have ever had a hot flash, you will understand the heat aspect of these peppers!)

NOTE: I STILL cannot link this review to LinkedIn - there is something wrong with the linking/programming and it will not happen.
Perfect book for people who are considering or already living eating a plant based diet.Beautifully photographed incredible delicious recipes an easy guide to healthy eating.Plan on giving as gift to friends I know will devour the recipes #netgalley #quartobooks.
I absolutely love this book. I have moved to a plant based diet and it has been so good for me. For my health both mentally and physically. The recipes in this book all look amazing and I can’t wait to dig into each and every one of them.