Bourbon Curious

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Oct 2019

This book is aimed at hose who are serious about Bourbon to truly enjoy and appreciate this books. I learned a lot but I'll be honest, I didn't read all of it. I skimmed and read the areas that were of interested to me.
I love the photos graphs and how  the layout was set up: quick cool facts, charts about each brand.
I would definitely buy this for someone who is serious about their liquor.
First, what a fantastic title. Recently I've been on "reading about food" trip. From the history of salt, five drinks that changed the world, to all about French foods, I want to learn about food. This is my that combines the history, with a practical how to guide. I loved how into Bourbon the author is. I mean I guess I should have guessed that, seeing as how he wrote a book about it, but the author's passion was felt in every turn of phrase, picture and story. I will admit, that prior to reading this book, I was a Bourbon acolyte and did not know a lot about Bourbon. While by no means an expert, after finishing this book, I feel like I have a decent, dare I say, intermediate knowledge about Bourbon? I hope that every subject under the sun has an author who can delight the reader with their knowledge and passion for the subject.
I loved this book! I am not a huge drinker, but when I do, I drink expensive bourdon whiskey. This book was fascinating and super informative. I loved the attention to detail about the bourdon and the process of making it. I need this book to reference to!
#bourdoncurious #Netgalley
Sooo... wow.
This isn't exactly a "simple tasting guide", it's more like a college textbook on bourbon.
I am "bourbon curious", but I'm not THIS bourbon curious.
I would recommend this book not for the bourbon curious, but for the Biggest Bourbon Lover you know. For the bourbon obsessed. For the person in your life who wants to know every last detail of the history of bourbon.
And if you know that person, or are that person, then this is your dream book. It's not a beautiful coffee table book, and it's not a book for someone who is merely curious or wants more information to enjoy their tastings. It's really an overload of verbose info laid out in more of a textbook fashion, followed by a detailed encyclopedia of every bourbon that takes over half the book.

I am bourbon curious, but this book was way too much for me. Someone else may love this book, but I am not that person.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
(This review will appear on December 4, 2019, on the "Stories Are My Life blog - https://phlipside.wordpress.com/)

Bourbon Curious - A Tasting Guide for the Savvy Drinker with Tasting Notes for Dozens of New Bourbons by Fred Minnick (Quarto Publishing Group - Harvard Common Press)(2nd Edition)

Bourbon did not arrive in my life until my 50s.  Mine was a beer and martini family, with a little wine.  As an adult, it was beer, wine, and gin and tonics in the summer.  It was at a friend's house that my bourbon deficiency was noted and treated.  I'm afraid that it may have resulted in some happy, drunken texts on the subject as well.  Another story for another day.

What I discovered was the smooth feel of bourbon which ends in a wonderful bite.  The mellow flavors of vanilla, caramel, cinnamon and more that swirl through the dark liquid.  It truly was love at first sip.

I have spent several decades learning about wine.  While far from an expert, I can identify and enjoy some of the complexities of the fruit of the vine.  I wasn't sure where to start that same exploration of this most American of liquors.

Now I do.  "Bourbon Curious" is a perfect starting point for beginners, a fine refresher for advanced drinkers, and, best of all, a resource that clears away some of the mythic underbrush that surrounds bourbon.  Because most of what most people think they "know" about bourbon is wrong.  (No, it doesn't have to come from Kentucky.  You'll find out why.)

Enter Fred Minnick, an award-winning writer on the subject and a Wall Street Journal best-selling author.  This guy knows bourbon (he even teaches classes on the subject.  Add that to my bucket list!), but the best part of the book is that it is easy to read.  Filled with advice, history, mythology and good stories, "Bourbon Curious" will let you choose the bourbon path you want to follow.  As a beginner, I skipped over much of the brand recommendations.  I'm not ready for most of that.  Instead, I focused on the taste profiles, and I'm just starting to figure out which brand I want to try next.  I also feel like I have some understanding of the language used to describe the wonders of this amber delight.

So, here's a perfect book for this time of year.  If you have a bourbon lover on your list, add this book (and perhaps a bottle of their favorite) under the tree.  The same goes if you are trying to help someone understand your love for the American classic.  It will be appreciated, and keep the conversation going long into the new year.

"Bourbon Curious" is available now.

Rating - **** Recommended

This review was based on an Advanced Reader Copy from the publisher and conforms to our Review Policy.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

In Bourbon Curious: A Tasting Guide for the Savvy Drinker, award-winning whiskey writer and Wall Street Journal best-selling author Fred Minnick creates an easy-to-read interactive tasting journey that helps you select barrel-aged bourbons based on your flavour preferences. Using the same tasting principles he offers in his Kentucky Derby Museum classes and as a judge at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, Minnick cuts to the chase, dismissing brand marketing and judging only the flavour of this all-American whiskey.

Bourbon Curious groups bourbon into four main flavour profiles—grain, nutmeg, caramel, and cinnamon. While many bourbons boast all four flavour notes, one delicious sensation typically overpowers the rest. This book reveals more than 50 bourbon brands' predominate tastes and suggests cocktail recipes to complement them. In addition, Minnick spends some time busting bourbon's myths; unravelling its mysteries; and exploring distiller secrets, disclosing the recipes you won't find on a bottle's label.

This updated edition contains all the best new bourbons and revised tasting notes on any bourbons that have undergone a substantial change since the original edition. And like good-tasting bourbon, Bourbon Curious is approachable to all!

This momma loves herself some bourbon - and wishes that she could find some great craft ones here in Canada! (Maybe I should hit the hipster bars??) Minnick breaks down the yumminess in so many ways - even people who do not like bourbon will try it (and love it) by the end of the book. It is wonderfully written and the information will make sense to even the newest of bourbon drinkers, I had no idea that there were four notes to bourbon before I read this book but given my love for 3/4 of them (nutmeg, caramel, and cinnamon) it now makes total sense.

Bottoms up!!! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃