Incredible Plant-Based Desserts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Oct 2019

Anthea Cheng’s plant-based cornucopia of dessert-type foods certainly lives up to the adjective on the cover!

This book is packed with lush, vibrantly colourful photographs of absolutely mouth-watering treats.

The recipes seem uncomplicated and relatively straightforward to follow, with the required ingredients and equipment clearly listed and step-by-step instructions for making the dish.

There are not only desserts featured here, but breakfasts and snack foods too – all following principles of clean-eating: vegan, raw, healthy and, of course (as Cheng’s blog is called Rainbow Nourishments!), ‘eating the rainbow’.

The author offers substitution options for those who have allergies or intolerances, which is perfect for us, as Babybows has a dairy intolerance. Speaking of the smalls, this book is a great inspiration for child-friendly, healthy-but-sweet treats. My two have earmarked almost every recipe for testing! (We’ve earmarked the Chocolate Cupcakes with Rainbow Buttercream for our first experiment – yum yum!)

Honestly, I would be happy to buy this book for the beautifully edible photography alone, so the healthy treats are an exceptional bonus in my view. Definitely one for fans of ‘free-from’ eating with added fun.

Learning from the struggles of my parents and my childhood, I wanted to make Rainbow Nourishments less about the kitchen and more about connecting with people on a deeper level. It grew into a large social media account and blog that shared wholesome vegan recipes and promoted discussion about wellbeing and the environment. It became a cake business, providing treats to the most popular cafes in my city, for weddings, birthdays and special events. I now develop recipes with large and small corporations, and I act as a food consultant to dessert businesses around the world. I host many pop-up events, including high teas, dinners and workshops, in Australia and internationally. The recipes in this book come from my professional experience and also a place of love and kindness.

– Anthea Cheng, Incredible Plant-Based Desserts

Review by Steph Warren of Bookshine and Readbows blog
The book Incredible Plant Based Desserts I see more as a bakery book rather than just desserts.

The book is split into an Introduction and five sections which are:
- Nourishing breakfasts
- Snack time
- Café style treats
- Share and celebration
- Basic condiments and frostings

The Introduction includes a list of equipment required, explanation of diary and gluten alternatives, egg substitutes, sweeteners and other essentials, including nut alternatives for those with allergies - this is good as many of the recipes do include a nut of some sort.

Each recipe comes with imperial and metric measurements, portions sizes and full colour photography.  Many of the bakes and frostings can be kept in the fridge for a few days, or in the freezer for a couple of months.

I received this book from Netgalley in return for a honest review.
Great photography and delicious plant based food. I loved the layout of this book and could drool over the pictures all day.  Will definitely try some of these recipies.
Disclaimer: I was given an advance reader copy of this ebook from Quarto Publishing Group – Quarry via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This cookbook is beautiful and has a good variety of recipes.  It has a good variety of recipes that aren't ones that are found in most cookbooks.  There are many recipes that I want to try because they have unusual flavor combinations that combine sweet and savory .  I would recommend this cookbook for anyone that loves to try new flavor combinations.  I think this  book would be great for vegans and non vegans alike.
If you want to be creative in your kitchen
Anthea Cheng's book "Incredible Plant-Based Deserts. Colorful Vegan Cakes, Cookies, Tarts, and other Epic Delights" published by Quarto Publishing Group - Quarry, stimulates the eye and the stomach. In the first part of the book Cheng presents equipment that will make life easier, but also information how to make desserts with vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free ingredients and how to make desserts for people with specific allergies and sensitivities. The main part of the book contains inspiring recipes for breakfasts, snacks, cafe-style treats and basic condiments and frostings.
This is the first book by this author which I have read and I was inspired by the colorful photographs and design. The vegan recipes cannot only be used for vegans, but also for vegetarians and "normal eaters". I also appreciated the inclusion of additional information, e.g., about the background of the recipes. Through this book Cheng also shows how colorful nature is without adding additional food coloring by using vegetable-based powders such as beetroot powder or blue spirulina. It is also helpful that she adds tips, e.g., how to grind chia seeds or flax seeds, and that she presents not only the recipes for various treats, but also the recipes for basics such as DIY Chocolate, Classic Caramel, or various styles of Butter cream. The very detailed index can also be a good help to readers when they are searching for something specific. I highly recommend this book that can also make a great gift because it also contains recipes for every skill level.
The complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley free of charge. I was under no obligation to offer a positive review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
#IncrediblePlantBasedDeserts	#NetGalley
The pictures of these desserts are beautiful and so vibrant.. I really liked that this book has some easier and more basic recipes as well as some more advanced and trickier ones. It goes to show that you still have lots options even as a vegan. I look forward to trying out some if these recipes.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review.
The recipes in this book look incredible! The pictures are outstanding - so colourful. I have been plant-based for nearly a year, and I can honestly say that I would make everything in this book.
I just started with baking, so I was really interested in reading this book.
I was inspired by Bake-off to bake vegan and it sounded really nice to try.
I am not a vegan, but with this book I can bake vegan receipts when there are vegan visitors.
What I hate in cookbooks is that most of the time the pictures aren't clear.
In this book I loved the pictures. They were verry clear and tempting.
I really recommend this book for people who love to try new thins in baking.
If you need a gift for a vegan or vegetarian, this book is a lovely option! The photos are really stunning, and the author's designs are truly artwork. So far I've only tried the less-vibrant recipe for "Notella" but I am looking foward to trying others as well. The book is geared toward desserts but many of the vegan recipes could be used for other meal ideas as well.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a digital ARC.
I've been a vegetarian for 15 years (and an only-poultry eater for another 10+ before that) for a variety of reasons, some of which are laid out by Anthea Cheng at the start of her book. As such, I am always interested in more vegetarian & vegan cookbooks.

One of the best things a cookbook can do to reel me in, is to utilize photos. There's not much that can entice me to flipping through a cookbook and deciding to take it home with me than seeing photos for all the recipes, and this book has spoiled me for all others! Not only is it chock-full of photos, but they are full-page photos and so bright and beautiful and perfect! And in addition to gorgeous food shots, there are also bright lovely photos that are only tangentially related, plus the recipes themselves are on lovely textured backgrounds with other items (a piece from the recipe, some fruit, etc) that aren't distracting from the text but just enhance the page beautifully. All others who make cookbooks ought to be jealous of whoever designed this one! I know the recipes are the vital part of a cookbook, but let's face it - if you can't lure me in with tasty photos, I'm not likely to pick up your cookbook to begin with.

I haven't actually made anything yet, but so many of these recipes sound and look so absolutely delicious, I know I won't be disappointed. Definitely a book I will want on my shelves.
The recipes are incredible. It’s a stunning book and I enjoyed the aesthetic. I tried a couple of recipes and they were a favourite in our house. I can’t wait to try more.
Incredible Plant-Based Desserts by Anthea Cheng

Gorgeous photos of delicious desserts that are easy to follow with ingredients that are not too difficult to find have inspired me to join the author’s blog, instagram and facebook pages. I am hoping to try one of the recipes tonight and have it for breakfast in the morning. I am definitely interested in trying m ore than one of the recipes in the future and plan to share the title not only on my blog but with my sister and others. I do believe this book is one I would love to have in my library. Why? Because I am moving more and more toward vegan 24/7 and this book would allow me to have treats and sweets that are beautiful and tasty while sticking tot he vegan lifestyle.

The book is set up with the author’s story first followed by how to cook vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free with suggested equipment, ingredients and some substitutions provided. There is also information on food allergies and how to create sweets for a variety of situations. The rest of the book is broken uup into Breakfasts, Snacks, Cafe-style treats, Celebrations and  ends with condiments and frostings.

Some of the layered desserts, cheesecakes, tiramisu, caramels and buttercream frostings intrigued me. I also found the ways of creating pancakes, cakes and muffins definitely worth trying as they are different from other vegan recipes I have seen.

Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing-Quarry for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars
I really enjoyed this book -- especially the focus on not 'just colorful vegan food...' but 'about the 'rainbow or diversity of ways that people can nourish themselves'. Having developed new food sensitivities and awareness, I've realized that I prefer a plant-based diet despite not being a vegetarian/vegan. This book encourages self-care activities even outside of the kitchen which is something that can be forgotten in this fast-paced day and age. The photos are beautiful and colorful, the ingredients fairly easy to find, and the instructions numbered (needed in my case). There are also interesting tips that I learned from ('black salt is high in sodium chloride so it smells and tastes like eggs', for less sweet desserts, use coconut sugar for regular sugar, etc.). It's a book that's a good resource for those looking for more plant-based desserts.
I enjoyed this book with on caveat.
I loved how the author broke down the ideas behinds the plant based aspects and how it made a difference in each recipe. this helps me when I want to create my own desserts,
The instructions are clear and concise. I feel I can follow them and get the product described by the author. But....
I love the color scheme of the book. The over all aesthetic  are lovely but you can tell so much has been edited and done up. I didn't feel like the photos are truly what the food looks like.
I understand there is much color and that's what the author was going for but the pictures didn't portray true color- it all looked like an Instagram filter.
As a strict Vegan i absolutely loved this book - its colourful, beautiful pictures, great recipes, sweet cakes and deserts.  whats not to love about this book - I cant wait to get the hardcopy so i can sit and flick thorough it and just look at the amazing pictures and try out all the recepies.  10 out of 10.
Who the heck is this woman’s photographer?! Seriously?!? I was shocked and in awe of the stunningly beautiful, bright and colorful photos heavily sprinkled throughout Incredible Plant-Based Desserts! Honestly, these cookbook photos are the cookbook photos that other cookbook photos aspire to be!

Incredible Plant-Based Desserts was just that, incredible. I own and have read quite a few vegan cookbooks. Most of which are filled with recipes that call for a ton of ingredients that 1) I’ve never heard of and 2) I can’t even begin to pronounce. Cheng’s recipes were not only filled with ingredients I knew and could pronounce, but lots of ingredients that I already had in my kitchen!

I know that a vegan diet isn’t for everybody, believe me, I’ve been listening to people criticize vegetarian and vegan eating for longer than I can remember, and there are some vegan treats that I’m not even into. Like granola. As hard as I try, I cannot seem to enjoy granola. But come on, who would say no to delicious sounding recipes like these; Very Berry Pie Infused with Chamomile, Notella Cheesecake, Rainbow Pear Chai Cake (which is the most beautiful looking cake I have ever seen), Berry Chocolate Mousse Tart and Tiramisu Trifle with Caramelized Popcorn!

I loved how Cheng listed the recipe alternatives you can use for allergies and diet options. The alternatives were broken down in a helpful and useful quick guide, that I can already see myself referring to in any future vegan cooking adventures.

Honestly, though, those photos!!! They were amazing and were able to show the incredible depth of color a plant-based diet can encompass. I also really enjoyed the photos of market scenes, plants and herself that were thrown into the mix!

The only negative is that, just like in any baking book, there will be a learning curve. We, as readers, are typically not going to have the necessary equipment, or the means to go out and purchase the equipment, just to make some desserts for ourselves. We aren’t professionals (for the most part) and the majority of what we try to bake will not look anywhere near as perfect and beautiful as Cheng’s creations, but if you have fun stepping out of your kitchen comfort zone, and enjoy some tasty (if not a little lopsided) baked goods, then I’m sure you’ll love Incredible Plant-Based Desserts. I, for one, can’t wait to try out several of Cheng’s recipes!!!
If you're not hungry before reading this book you certainly are after!!!

Amazing!

Well done!

All those recipes and explanation and those wonderful photos!

I just want to try at least half of those recipes, I'm hungry now!  So many choices, so many healthy options...
Maybe my favorites are for breakfast.

Really interesting and well put together!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
This is a beautiful illustrated cookbook with some amazing recipes. If like me you rather have a picture to show the end result this book won’t disappoint. The book is well laid out with easy to read instructions and information to change ingredients if you need a gluten /wheat free recipe. The book it self covers a lovely range of deserts, cakes, snacks, cookies etc.
If your vegan or have a family member or friend who is, it has been hard at times to produce lovely vegan cakes/deserts which taste and look amazing. You need not look any further, this cookbook has everything you will ever need to make tasty deserts. I have made some of the cakes and cookies and even the children haven’t noticed it was vegan.
Well worth a read with it’s beautiful vibrant pictures  and delicious recipes.
Absolutely stunning!!!  The pictures and colors of the food in this book make it a work of art.  While I do not eat this type of diet, the recipes and pictures would make me want to try.  This would make for a beautiful gift for any foodie.  If I knew this author personally I would want them to cater my next party :)
The full color photos of these desserts are very eye catching. There are some basic,easy to make desserts and some a bit more complicated but easy enough to make with step by step instructions.
Amazing what one can make and eat and be satisfied with being a vegan.
I look forward to making many of these desserts now that the weather is conducive to baking with the cooler temperatures
Pub Date 15 Oct 2019
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.