Cover Image: You Are Not Alone

You Are Not Alone

Loved this book and found it a gripping read - I finished it in just one day! Scary subject matter and trigger warnings for rape, alcohol and substance abuse, and suicide.
A fast paced, escapist psychological thriller. Although the narrative was a little far fetched at times, I liked the central character of Shay and her terrible predicament and will read these authors novels in the future.
I read An Anonymous Girl and I was very excited when I saw a new novel coming. I had to read it! You Are Not Alone is a great thriller that has lots of twists, great story line and complex characters. I really enjoyed this read and look forward to more from Hendricks and Pekkanen.

Thank you NetGalley.
A suicide observed by a fellow commuter leaving her traumatised and suffering from post traumatic stress. A group of friends desperate to hide events surrounding the suicide. A slow and intricate unfolding of a story about a dangerous alliance of women committed to seeking revenge and the unintentional involvement of a lonely and isolated individual who becomes embroiled in a heavily charged and terrifying situation. Fast paced, cleverly developed with well drawn characters results in an intriguing mystery .
Shay Miller is book smart and has a thing for statistics, with some very fascinating excerpts throughout the book, but she is also lonely and vulnerable. Something happens to Shay one morning that will change her life, and maybe not for the better when she meets and befriends the Moore sisters.

This is my first book by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen and I loved it. To be honest, I wasn't sure at first and it took me a while to get into; but when the story started coming together, it packed a punch! This book has the right amount of guess work and intrigue. The characters are complex but brilliant and I thoroughly enjoyed finding out how their stories intertwined.

It is a gripping and clever story and I would recommend it to everyone! Thank you to NetGalley for giving me a copy.
I have heard a lot about the previous books by this writing duo but had never read any of them, so was excited to have the opportunity to read this.  And for me it didn't disappoint.  Shay is on the subway platform when she sees a woman jump onto the tracks.  Compelled to find out more about the woman to deal with what she saw, Shay attends a memorial service where she is befriended by two glamorous sisters, Cassandra and Jane, friends of the dead woman, and finds herself drawn into their apparently glamorous world.

Yes it is at times far-fetched, and other than Shay and the Moore sisters, the other characters are a little under-developed, to the  extent that sometimes I got a little confused over who was who in the Moore's "posse". But overall the twists and turns kept coming and I raced through the book, keen to see how it all played out. The addition of Shay's data book, in which she records some fascinating facts, is clever and provides a bit of extra interest.

I will certainly be going back and reading this talented team's previous books.  Thank you Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book!  A great story line that kept me hooked and excellent main characters.  I would highly recommend this book.
3.5 stars
Whilst this was really well written, the format in which it is set out didn't work for me.
I found that knowing, mostly, what Cassandra and Jane were doing from the outset, meant that there were no surprises or even times to speculate what they were doing and why.
And when everything is revealed in the final few pages it's not particularly thrilling or surprising, as we know pretty much from the start of the story that they are up to something untoward.
I really liked and sympathised with Shay as a character and I found that her Data Book entries added a lot to getting to know more about her and how her mind worked.
But it was sometimes difficult to keep track of all the women in their Moore sisters' orbit, which made me have to rethink who was who and what their job was etc. to get back on track.
I would be interested in reading more from these authors but sadly this was just slightly above average for me.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book was well written, kept me reading. A bit too stretched at times, but nevertheless I enjoyed my time.

Thanks a lot to NG and the publisher for my copy.
I really liked AN ANONYMOUS GIRL and hoped that this would be similarly suspenseful. The start got me hooked and I was very interested. Unfortunately, nothing significant or shocking happens for the rest of the novel. I didn't connect to the protagonist and her decisions felt unreasonable to me. There was not one witty and smart character here which is quite sad as it's an almost all female cast.
Shay witnesses a woman who jumped in front of a train, leaving a necklace behind. Feeling shocked and guilty, she can't help but get invested in the woman's life. I was really invested in the death of the woman and her secrets. The Moore sisters and a group of women provide a place for Shay, even though they have ulterior motives. I liked the portrayal of Shay’s paranoia as she tries to figure out what’s happening and the sense that she cannot trust anyone.

However, I found the plotline unconvincing and a little all over the place. Other than Shay, the characters are blandly interchangeable. There are some dark themes of social justice and sexual harassment but I felt it wasn't handled as adeptly as it could have been. I really wished the story had gone into different directions. Read this if you’re looking for a breezy, escapist thriller.
A fantastic thriller with some jaw dropping twists! This would make a great movie. Definitely recommend.
I've always really enjoyed Greer and Sarah's books and this one was no different. The characters are interesting and alluring although I couldn't help find Shay a bit of a gullible sap who I wanted to shake from time to time. Although I felt sorry for her to an extent, I found it strange she didn't really question anything...at all! I wasn't entirely sure where the plot was going but it certainly kept me entertained along the ride. I liked the use of the 'data' snippets and the flash backs but actually, I think it would have been beneficial to have more of these for a deeper dive into why these characters acted as they did. A couple of the characters got a bit confusing at times so I had to read back a couple of times. I'm not sure it was necessary to have everyones POV either. I do think the 'twist' (and admittedly a lot of the book) was pretty far fetched, especially considering the flash backs failed to mention anything whatsoever (when realistically, that detail wouldn't have been left out).
This is the first book I’ve read by the authors, overall it is a good book, the story is interesting and grabs you enough to continue reading, although some of the situations are a bit far fetched.
I think I found all the going back and forth in time and between characters a bit confusing, by the end of the book when things unravel and get explained I had forgotten who was who and who had done what!
Thank you to NetGalley and MacMillan for letting me review this book.
This book kept my attention and I was intrigued to know what would happen. A little far fetched in places but still enjoyable. The characters were well written.
When I read the promotional blurb for this book describing an ordinary woman who becomes enamoured with two mysterious sisters, it felt like something I’d really enjoy. I love intense female friendships and mysteries so I was definitely intrigued.

Shay Miller just wants to find a fulfilling job, romance and a group in which she belongs. When she witnesses a tragic suicide at a subway station, she vows to find out everything she can about the young victim, Amanda. Her search leads her to the Moore sisters -beautiful, successful women with a solid social circle and a strong magnetic field. They’re everything that Shay has always wanted to be but what’s their real deal?

In many ways, Shay reminded me of myself. I’m also obsessed with what others think of me and I’m constantly seeking fulfillment and validation. So it was all the more weird that I just couldn’t connect to her. Due to Shay’s role in the dynamics of the group, I know that I was supposed to be rooting for her to come out on top. Unfortunately, I just lost interest quite early on and her development wasn’t big enough to hook me back in.

Jane and Cassandra Moore are certainly very interesting characters but I couldn’t work out what their motive was. The details of their past act as the twist, so they aren’t revealed until the end. While I appreciated them when they came, it means that I spent the whole narrative utterly baffled as to why these women were behaving in the way that they were. Perhaps there are clues that I simply missed because I wasn’t gripped.

Shay is obsessed with facts and statistics, which she is constantly jotting down in a notebook that she carries. The little snippets that we’re privy to illustrate her state of mind, her motivations for looking into Amanda’s life and her growing fascination with the Moore sisters. Despite being a grown woman, she has a touch of the nerdy teenager about her that adds to her vulnerability. It’s very easy to see how the Queen Bee Moore sisters manage to get under her skin.

I’m not going to talk too much about the plot because it is pretty twisty and I’m sure I’d stumble upon spoilers. This is why I can’t fully understand why I couldn’t get into it. It is pretty slow-burning, which I don’t expect from a thriller and this may go some way to explaining why it felt like a bit of a chore to read. I usually love unpredictable thrillers and although I could definitely sense the threat, I wasn’t ‘thrilled’ by it.

Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen have written two other very well-received thrillers, which I haven’t read. However, I’m open to giving them a go because You Are Not Alone is definitely very unique. The concept isn’t something I’ve come across very often in adult fiction so I wonder if their other titles -An Anonymous Girl and The Wife Between Us- follow that pattern.
Many thanks to Net Galley and Pan Macmillan for an ARC of this book in exchange for a review.
Wow! This is a fast paced read, these two authors write brilliantly together.  It’s an addictive read.
Shay witnesses a suicide as a young woman jumps in front of a train, she can’t get this young woman out of her head.  Shay begins to research the victims life and wonders why she would want to take her own life and this leads her to a memorial service where she meets two sisters, Jane and Cassandra Moore.   From meeting the sisters, who become her new friends, Shay’s life begins to improve, everything she wanted is falling into place, her own apartment, new job, trendy new friends, no longer lonely and no money worries, but are these sisters really her friends.
Shay fills her notebook everyday with with statistical details, odd data which only makes sense to her.  As she becomes more entwined with Jane and Cassandra her new life begins to spiral out of control, Shay is scribbling furiously in her notebook to keep track of all that is happening to her, she can trust no one as she goes into hiding, and begins to try and unravel the web the sisters have woven around her life.
This is psychological storytelling at its very best, creative, lots of tension and suspense, a 5 star read.
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
You are not alone by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen is a psychological thriller,  which has many twists and turns to the storyline. Shay Millers is lonely and isolated, she wants a better job, wants a better life and wants to belong and have a group of friends. When she meets the Moore sisters, she sees their glamorous life and their group of friends and wants to be part of that charmed circle. Be careful what you wish for, all is not what it seems. She’s is sucked into a life of secrets, lies and unexplained deaths
Recommended.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this arc in exchange for an honest review. I raced through the authors previous books, The Wife Between Us and Anonymous Girl, so was excited to see what they would next and You Are Not Alone does not disappoint.
It follows 30-something year old Shay, who is trying to make ends meet in NYC, when one morning on the subway she sees a woman throw herself under the train. Unable to comprehend this traumatic event Shay seeks out the identity of this stranger in the hopes that it would help her heal, but finds herself getting drawn into this woman's world as she is befriended by the stranger's friends, the glamorous sisters, Cassandra and Jane...But are their intentions benevolent or does something sinister lurk underneath?...
I zipped through this. It was a pacy read with short chapters. Shay is not the only narrator in this and we meet a host of other characters, who are up to no good, trying to put together this puzzling mystery. For most of the book I was wondering what the heck is going on, but things do come together in the end. My only gripe is that due to the POV chapters of the other characters I felt that as a reader I was ahead of Shay and knew more than her which made reading her chapters in the second half of the book lacklustre. I just wanted Shay to put the dots together already so the story could move forward and found myself getting bored, hence the 4 stars. However overall this is a zinger of book full of twists and turns.
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story centres on Shay. One day she is going to catch the tube and a woman jumps onto the track in front of her. This event really effects her life. After meeting at a memorial service she gets befriended by sisters Cassandra and Jane Moore and things change for Shay. She finally thinks that things are looking up but things aren’t exactly as they seem.

I have read An Anonymous Girl by these authors and really enjoyed it so wanted to try more of their work. I enjoyed this book just as much but as with An Anonymous Girl it wasn’t perfect. I didn’t like the way they handled a particular issue that the main character had. I also thought that the character was so naive. Coincidence after coincidence happened and Shay never questioned it. There was a particular incident that happens in front of her eyes and she still doesn’t realise that something isn’t right. It really did frustrate me. The story was really entertaining. It was the mystery of who these women were and why they were doing the things they did that kept me engrossed.