Cover Image: Sleep Tight

Sleep Tight

Fabulous new detective series.
This was a brand new author for me and I must say, I think I might be hooked on her books already! My secret love is a good detective thriller and this hit the mark
I loved this amazing crime thriller with a brilliant supernatural twist
The story is centred around Dc Rose Gifford’s investigation into the suffocation of a young woman who had been found in her bed with no sign of a break in, who is found to have been suffering from horrific nightmares at the same time every night causing her to wake screaming believing there was someone in the room with her. We then meet Kirsty, who is telling a colleague of the awful dreams she is encountering at night that seem incredibly real, who reports it to the police but they dismiss it.
Are these women being terrified in their dreams for real? Or is it really just sleep paralysis?
This book is so well written, the plot is incredible, the characters are well developed and the narrative is incredibly readable. It is suspenseful and keeps the mystery going right the way through with twists that kept me guessing and guessing until the end.  The descriptions she gave were so vivid.
I couldn’t put this book down and will definitely be looking for more of the authors works
A great read that I just couldn’t put down once I’d started it! DC Rose Gifford and her colleague, DS Colin Mackie (Mack) are called to the home of a woman, 32-year-old Hannah Scott, who has suffocated in her bed. Though murder seems unlikely and there's no sign of a break-in, something about the victim's death makes Rose feel uncomfortable. While her team struggles to work out how she, Hannah died, Rose soon finds herself dealing with matters that cause her unease, which also affect her personal life.

Sleep Tight is an attention-grabber from the very beginning with its super prologue. It's always good to dive into a new series from the first book and this novel is no exception to that. The story mostly follows Rose’s character, although some chapters switch to a woman who suffers from nightmares, as well as a few from the killer’s perspective.

This is an engrossing concoction of both crime and the supernatural. Rose’s character is one I immediately warmed to; she's not perfect and doesn't let people in immediately. She has made mistakes and found herself in some difficult situations. The investigation takes on an interesting supernatural twist when, during the investigation, Rose meets DS Moody who runs a secret department of the Met, UCIT (Uncharted Crimes Investigation Team) that deals with supernatural occurrences. She feels at home there, as in her own personal life she sees the ghost of her dead mother.

The plot is multifaceted, suspenseful and gripping and I was guessing throughout. There were interesting twists and revelations but I never figured out who the killer was, even though there were a few eerie chapters from the killer’s point of view. Caroline Green has shown great aptitude in executing this series début and the ending was fitting for the story. Gripping to the final pages, I’m keen to read the next in the series.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from HarperCollins via NetGalley at my request and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
Sleep Tight is a new thriller detective story from Sunday Times Bestseller C.S. Green and was a really fascinating story that had so many twists and turns! This is the kind of story that will have you thinking twice about every single bump in the night you hear or any little shadow you think you saw. It left me with a very chilly sense of all things creepy in the night because the horror that befalls the victims in this story is not something easy to fight, or even find.

Green does a very good job writing a story that takes a very steady beat to it, following an investigation of girls being killed that suffer from sleep paralysis and have complained about a man, or dream like horror, that visits them during their sleep paralysis.

DC Rose Gifford is one of the investigators and her demeanor was hard to read at first until you understand her a little more as you read. When you’re first introduced to her she seems awkward, shy and very timid of those around her. But the more you learn about her through this story, you really start to understand why she is this way and can even relate with all of it.

Plenty of interesting supporting cast in this story, like Rose’s partner Mack that is a much more seasoned investigator and actually seems pretty removed from everything he does. Almost like he’s just waiting for retirement. This character, in my opinion, really held Rose back from developing into her own in a faster fashion. But was such a necessary part of her development. You’ll understand when you read it.

If you’ve ever suffered from nightmares, you’ll appreciate the vibe of this supernatural thriller.

This was a brand new author for me and I must say, I think I might be hooked on her books. My secret love is a good detective thriller and this supernatural thriller series may be just the perfect fit for me going forward.
This is the first book of the series DC Rose Gifford and I can not wait to read more. Brilliant book, excellent and well written. I do not normally do supernatural but this was a gripping read.

DC Rose Gifford is called to investigate the death of a young woman who was suffocated in bed, however she believes there is more than meets the eye, the police can not find the killer, this therefore made me wanting to continue to read to find out what happens. Highly recommend
I started SLEEP TIGHT by C S Green but it was not until at 50% that I was enthused and completed the book.  The main character, Rose Gifford, is a detective constable.  In childhood Rose wrestled with her relationship with her mother.  Rose in adulthood, still has issues, which she struggles, mainly to do with her sleeping pattern but other issues come to the fore.  Rose is naive and has a lot to learn about her job.  Mack, (Det Sgt MacKenzie) Rose's colleague, have a good working relationship and this comes through in the novel.

The book is well written and I enjoyed the humour and witty dialogue between the characters.  The sleep issue is interesting.  It did take me a while to get into the story.  I would recommend this book.

I give this a 3 start rating.

I WANT TO THANK NETGALLEY FOR THE OPPORTUNITY OF READING AN ADVANCE COPY OF THIS BOOK FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.
Fans of Line and Duty and Behind Her Eyes will not want to miss C S Green’s Sleep Tight!

As a police officer, DC Rose Gifford has learned to trust her instincts and listen to her gut and when she is called to investigate the murder of a young woman who had been found suffocated in her bed, Rose simply cannot shake off this feeling that there is something far more sinister going on here than meets the eye. Everything might seem straightforward and typical of a crime scene, however, Rose is certain that she is missing something vital that could lead her straight to the elusive killer the police cannot seem to catch, regardless of how many clues they uncover. But could a secret department within the Met set up to solve supernatural crimes help Rose to untangle the chilling threads of this mystery?

DS Moony, who runs the UCIT, wants to help Rose out. But Rose is a sceptic who doesn’t believe in the supernatural and surely connecting with the other world is not going to help solve this mystery? But with nothing to lose and a dangerous killer biding their time in the shadows waiting to strike again, Rose realises that she needs to investigate every single avenue possible if she doesn’t want another woman to tragically lose her life. But is she ready to abandon her doubts in the pursuit of justice? Or will her scepticism end up hindering this investigation?

In a race against time, Rose needs to find the killer fast because the consequences simply do not bear thinking about…

C S Green’s Sleep Tight gives a fresh and eerie twist to the police procedural, leaving readers completely captivated by this tense, fast-paced and creepy crime thriller. DC Rose Gifford is a terrific detective – she is sharp, intelligent, meticulous and somebody it is an absolute pleasure to spend time with.

Brilliantly-paced, wonderfully plotted and hard to put down, crime fiction fans need to add C S Green’s Sleep Tight to the very top of their must-buy list.
DC Rose Gifford is determined to help catch the killer of a young woman, Hannah, who has been found suffocated in her bed, but with no sign of a break-in, this case might not be so straight forward. After speaking to the victim’s friend, Rose discovers that Hannah had been suffering terrible nightmares at the same time every night and would often wake up screaming as she thought someone was in the room with her. Someone tall, dark and menacing!

Kirsty is at work one day when she breaks down to a colleague about the fact that she is not sleeping well and that a dark figure who visits her in her dreams feels far too real for her liking. Concerned for her safety after the recent murder, Kirsty informs the police about her nightly visitor, in the hopes they’ll be able to help and not think she’s gone cuckoo! The police, unfortunately, don’t take her too seriously, will Kirsty become the next victim?

This book is so clever and so well thought out. From the minute I picked it up I knew it would be one that I couldn’t put down. It was also one of those books that I kept thinking about even when I wasn’t reading it! The twists were spectacular, and I honestly would never have guessed the outcome.
Supernatural crime fiction is definitely not one of my go-to genres but I was really intrigued by the synopsis of Sleep Tight, the first in C.S. Green’s new DC Rose Gifford series. And I’m so glad I gave it a go! Creepy, tense and not wildly unbelievable I raced through this compelling novel in two days.

I think the premise of this novel invites comparison with cult TV show The X Files, if only because of the gutsy heroine and secret police department dealing with slightly outlandish, paranormal theories. I really liked Rose Gifford as a character, as well as the eccentric, straightforward and slightly rude DS Moony. I’ll be really keen to see where Green takes their relationship in the next book in the series.

With thanks to Harper Collins for allowing me to read a digital advance copy via Netgalley.
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Note to self: this is not a book to read before bed. I have found myself completely pulled into this one, unwilling to put this down and has definitely kept me awake.

I have devoured this book and enjoyed this so much more than I thought I would. Green has gripped me from the very beginning and I was instantly pulled into this book.

This is completely unique to anything I’ve read previously and a book that I have found slightly terrifying and unsettling on occasions. With that said I have to add that I LOVED it. This is a gorgeously dark read which has been impossible to put down.

I have loved the characters in this book and how unique they are. Definitely a huge advantage for me. I have found that I adore the way Green writes and have been unwilling to put this book down.

Green has filled this with tension and suspense, creating a unique masterpiece which has been an absolute delight to read.

This is my first read by this author. However it definitely will not be the last. This is a book which has converted me as a fan, I am definitely going to be reading more.

I adore how intriguing the cover of this one is, it definitely catches the eye and makes you want to know what this book is about.

A definite five star read and one I highly recommend adding to the TBR.
I'm a fan of Rivers of London and the blurb somehow reminded me of this series.
I was wrong because this is a gripping and entertaining thriller and there just a very remote similarity to that series.
I loved the tightly knitted plot, the well developed characters and the solid mystery.
I can't wait to read the next installment as I want to know what will be next.
It's strongly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Well that was intense!!!

Fast paced and well written Thai is a kinda paranormal, creepy, murder mystery, thriller!

I really liked it 😊 a mixed bag of plenty of things to be honest and it gelled well, it made the hairs on my arms stand up in places (that’s rare) and I couldn’t put it down, a great read for 2021 if you want to sleep with the lights on (in fact don’t sleep at all 😉)!!!!!!
Oh wow this book is good, I just couldn’t put it down as soon as I’d started it! DC Rose Gifford and her colleague are called to the home of a woman who seems to have suffocated in her sleep. But her bedroom door was locked and a murder doesn’t seem possible. While her team struggle to work out how she was killed, something about the murder makes Rose feel uncomfortable. As more emerges about how the woman died and what was happening to her, Rose soon finds herself dealing with things that she doesn’t feel comfortable with, things that affect her personal life too.

This was such an amazing story and it was easy to get into right away. The story follows Rose’s character mostly, although there are some chapters that switch to following a woman who’s suffering from nightmares when trying to sleep as well as a few chapters which followed the killer’s thoughts and actions. The first chapter instantly had me hooked, as it followed a woman suffering trouble sleeping, worried about a visitor that appears when she’s drifting off to sleep. The next chapters start to follow Rose as she finds out more about the dead woman’s life and the strange nightmares that plagued her.

I love how this story unfolded and the interesting mix of both crime story and the supernatural. Rose’s character is one I immediately liked. I like character’s whose lives are not perfect and Rose’s is especially interesting. I enjoyed getting to know her character, the strange things that happen in her home and how she ended up, unintentionally, making some mistakes and ended up in some difficult situations. After some time the investigation takes on an interesting supernatural twist as Rose meets DI Moony and begins working at UCIT. I loved how interesting and different the division was, and how Rose reacted to it at first. I really enjoyed Moony’s character, she was unique and I enjoyed finding out about a connection she had with someone.

This story really kept me guessing throughout. The were interesting twists and revelations but I never guessed at who the killer was, even though there were some really interesting and eerie chapters from the killer’s point of view. The descriptions of everything was so detailed that it produced a vivid image of each scene in my mind, and yet despite the desciptions of things I didn’t find the pace slowed at all. This felt like an exciting thriller and the supernatural element added to it just made it all the more exciting and interesting for me. The ending is really good and I found myself audibly gasping when something was revealed. It kept me gripped right to the end and I just can’t wait for the next book in the series! There are a few uses of the f swear words but nothing else I’d consider too upsetting except for some descriptions of deaths, murders and the interesting creepy chapters from the killer’s point of view.

Overall I have really enjoyed this book. I haven’t read a lot of crime thrillers before, and I hadn’t read any books by the author before this one, however I’m so eager to read the next in the series! There’s something about mixing the crime story with the supernatural that has me really hooked and I’d recommend this to anyone who enjoys crime stories, supernatural tales and even for those who are new to both. It’s an interesting and gripping story with some great characters I can’t wait to get to know more of in future books.
The first chapter in this title quickly pulled me in, tense from the beginning, very atmospheric.
DC Rose Gifford I did not take to as well - how it was always her ideas that took the case forward rather than a mix from the team. Her character obviously has issues and this seemed to get in the way of the story for me.
This is almost a tale of two halves as the MO of the perpetrator alters so drastically and suddenly.
As the first in a new series, the characters may well develop and become more endearing.
Three and a half stars for me!
Many thanks to Netgalley/C.S. Green/Harper Collins for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own.
A police procedural that ventures into the realms of the paranormal and supernatural that brings with it  a spine chilling tingle . DC Rose Gifford is not your ‘normal ‘ policewoman. She has sleep issues and a dead mother who mercilessly haunts her. A series of unexplained deaths occur where the victims have ‘reported seeing or feeling presence in their bedroom prior to their death. In trying to solve the murders a unit UCID lead by Mooney contacts the local force as unexplained deaths and possible paranormal experiences are part of their remit. Rose looks like a possible recruit so starting a series for this character
The premise of the story is weird but there are some interesting characters and issues raised throughout
What can I say about this gripping and intense thriller? This is the first book I have read by the author and it certainly won’t be the last! An absolute page-turner and I couldn’t stop reading after ‘one more chapter’. I was so enthralled by the storyline that I almost forgot that Rose was a character and not an actual person! For me, one of the most intriguing parts of the book is seeing how much Rose’s character develops. Through her (often awkward) interactions with colleagues and dealing with demons from her past. All this whilst trying to catch a dangerous killer before they strike again. I’m so excited to read the next in the series and this is one book I will keep reading over and over again.
Even in your dreams you’re not safe…

The nightmare is only just beginning…

A woman found dead in her bed, clearly suffocated but her bedroom door was locked from the inside and there's no sign of forced entry, it's down to DC Rose Gifford to work out the how and why, but that's proving trickier than the team thought, so they bring in DS Moody from UCIT, a department which deals with supernatural crimes, Rose is very sceptical but needs to get on board before the killer strikes again.

Sleep Tight is a police procedural with a supernatural element, which delves into the realms of sleep paralysis and nightmares, it's a three way narrative from Rose, Kirsty and the perpetrator. The plot is well crafted, a tense read with a few twists along the way and I'm looking forward to seeing how this series will develop further, particularly Rose who is fighting a few demons of her own.

I'd like to thank HarperCollins and Netgalley for the auto approval, I will post my review on Amazon and Goodreads.
I have read the entire back catalogue of the author as Cass Green and was super excited to read this series opener, it stands as a police procedural with hints of supernatural influences worn in the creases of it's uniform. The deaths of several women, inside locked rooms, all apparently suffering from parasomnia, seem inexplicable when taken from a straightforward police approach however, when the inclusion of Rose Gifford into the investigation throws into sharp relief the inconsistencies which have been like a piece of meat caught between the teeth, the action really begins to flow.

Between Rose, who is literally haunted by her mother-a failed medium and sometime low level criminal-and Kirsty, haunted by night terrors which seep into her awake hours, the narrative provides bone chilling details of what it is like to be trapped in a nightmare from which waking up is next to impossible. Rose is caught in a cycle of self abuse in the way that she stays in her childhood home, the base of unspecified trauma, visits from mystery men and appearances by the police on occasion . It is as though she keeps herself there as some kind of punishment, never quite believing in herself enough to step away from the place which tarred and feathered her, a place from which she is unable to escape. Her job represents a chance to right the wrongs of others, but even here she has to fight to be taken seriously. Kirsty's interior monologue of being terrified on a nightly basis leaves you caught between belief in the paranormal and inexplicable versus the evil that men do to each other. Her vulnerability is achingly present and when she nearly ends up as a victim to this killer, you keenly feel a sense of dismay and alarm at where this killer is going to strike next.

As Rose ties herself in knots trying to prove herself to a world which has written her off so many years ago, the investigation stalls as in steps UCIT-ostensibly about compliance but actually about the unsolved cases-an offshoot of the police who look into cases that defy convention. An unexpected link between UCIT and Rose presents opportunities for the plotline to develop and neatly sets up what could happen in future instalments of the series which had this reader fizzing with excitement.

The drama and intensity of the chase for a killer who can walk through walls, and, seemingly into locked rooms is such a knife edge, you find yourself breathless in pursuit of this ethereal killer alongside Rose and colleague Mack-C.S Green has created vivid, believable characters that transcend the tropes of a male/female detective couple whilst paying homage to the closeness of platonic relationships between classic partnerships.

In a sentence, I loved it,and cannot wait for Rose Gifford book 2 to be published
3.5 stars

When a young woman is found dead in a locked room, DC Rose Gifford and her colleagues have to try and find out how she died. With no signs of foul play or any evidence of anyone else having been in the room, the police have there work cut out trying to work out what happened.
With narratives from Rose, a potential victim and the murderer, the story unfolds at a good pace and with some very interesting, creepy elements.
When Rose was introduced to DS Moony and the mysterious UCIT unit, I really started to enjoy it more and with the characters involved I can see how this is going to continue as a series and am looking forward to what comes next.