Cover Image: Sherlock Holmes: The Empty House

Sherlock Holmes: The Empty House

This is Sherlock Holmes made easy for kids and I think it’s perfect for kids. It has adventure, danger and good humor. It’s fast to read for an adult but for kids it’s easy to understand and I would think even someone who is learning to read still would enjoy this book. The pictures are good and would engage a young readers mind further.
I really enjoyed this book a lot
I liked this book, it has mystery, intrigue and some funny moments. Even though I managed to guess the ending it was still really good and would recommend.
II adore all incarnations of the Sherlock Holmes stories. And this one is no exception. The same fabulous story but full of illustrations.

A must-read for younger readers to the Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson stories, and also for the young at heart!
It has been three years since Sherlock Holmes plunged to his apparent death in a confrontation with his nemesis, Moriarty, at the Reichenbach Falls. His companion, Dr Watson, is continuing to solve mysteries in his absence and he is about to face the toughest one yet: the locked room murder of Mr Adair. Little does Watson know that help is about to come from a most unexpected source…

This is a fantastic adaptation for children by Stephanie Baudet of the classic Sherlock Holmes story. Despite it being aimed at the younger market, however, I found it a super read and enjoyed it just as much as another of this series, A Study in Scarlet, that I read a while ago. The story has been simplified for younger readers but it has lost none of it’s excitement and sense of mystery. The illustrations also capture the text perfectly, bringing the story alive.

This series by Sweet Cherry Publishing is a perfect way of introducing children to the work of the great Arthur Conan Doyle.
There is always a question over the wisdom of rewriting classics for a younger audience, and - for this reader at least - the answer to this question for ‘The Empty House’ adaptation by Stephanie Baudet is, sadly, in the negative. I recognise that this puts me at odds with the majority of reviewers but, for me, there seems little enough of the features of the original Holmes novels to make the exercise worthwhile. After all, why not simply write a modern novel if the DNA of the original is so lacking? Will this adaptation encourage younger readers to pick up the real thing in a few years? I’m not convinced, but plenty of reviewers disagree with me, so perhaps mine is simply a grumpy minority view.
I love the Sherlock Holmes books and when I spotted this as a ‘Read Now’ on NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read it. As child I enjoyed reading simplified classics and just knew that I would love reading a Sherlock Holmes book for children. It was really good with excellent illustrations throughout adding to the story and showing what was happening with the characters. I particularly liked the fight scenes near the end, it reminded me of old cartoons! The story was told in an easy to read way but not so easy that it would bore readers. As a Sherlock Holmes fan I would definitely recommend this book and would love to read more in the series.
This was a great and faithful retelling of Arthur Conan Doyle's story for a younger audience. It makes the story incredibly accessible and does a great job of getting all of the important points of the story across. The illustrations are fantastic and really bring the whole thing to life. I could definitely see children having a blast reading this book.
This faithful adaptation of a Sherlock Holmes classic sweeps you into the story right from the start. All the old stalwarts are here: Sherlock Homes, his faithful sidekick Dr. Watson, Mrs Hudson the landlady, police sergeant Lestade and, in flashbacks, Holmes' archenemy, Moriarty.  I won't spoil the plot by telling you what the story is but let's just stay it's about comebacks. The perfect introduction to the Holmes canon for youngsters.
Sherlock Holmes: The Empty House is another great addition to the Easy Classics series from Sweet Cherry Publishing. Perfect for readers 8+ this is an accessible version of the classic story. Filled with great illustrations this would appeal to those venturing into chapter books and enjoy a good mystery!
Thanks for the copy. It was a short and fast read.  I loved the book.  . As usual Holmes never disappoints.
Sherlock Holmes: The Empty House is part of The Sherlock Holmes Children’s Collection: Creatures, Codes and Curious Cases. It’s very enjoyable to read how these famous Sherlock Holmes stories are adapted for children. Even though the stories are now a bit simplified, they still hold true to the charm and mystery of everything you would expect from a story about Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.

In The Empty House it has been three years since the death of Sherlock Holmes and his enemy Moriarty. John Watson is now solving mysteries by himself when he faces the most difficult one yet. The impossible murder of Mr Adair, who’s shot but without anyone entering his house. But it turns out that John Watson is not the only one on the case....

A highly enjoyable murder mystery for anyone who loves to read about Sherlock Holmes and John Watson.
My nine-year-old daughter enjoyed reading this wonderful adaptation of Sherlock Holmes. It was a great way to introduce her to the world of Sherlock Holmes.

Thank you NetGalley and Sweet Cherry for the advance copy.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again and again; I adore these editions of such iconic stories! The Empty House has always been one of Conan Doyle's best, in my opinion, purely for the way it made me feel when I first read it. That combined with the beautiful illustrations this edition offers makes for a wonderful read and something that younger readers can enjoy as an entry into the world of Sherlock Holmes. The sooner I get my hands on a full set of these the better!
This is an adaptation of a The Empty House designed for children. I enjoy murder mysteries, especially children’s ones, so I thought I might enjoy this one.

I have not read the original of this particular story, but I have read several Sherlock Holmes stories. I thought this was well adapted - it has a good feel of the Sherlock Holmes books, but without being too tense and frightening. I found it very short, but the pace is good. It conveys the characters of Holmes, Watson, and Hudson really well.

The illustrations are great - both expressive and amusing - whilst showing the events of the story well.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I think it would be an excellent way for children to enjoy the Sherlock Holmes story, without the darker parts that would be too frightening.

I was given a free copy of this book, my opinions are my own.
This is a review from my 12 year old daughter.
Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review. I love mystery books and very much enjoy Sherlock Holmes so I was excited to learn I was reviewing this.. I really enjoyed they book my only complaint is I completed it too quickly and for that I feel I need to knock off a star but perhaps ideal for younger readers. I would love to read more stories in this set.
The last three years have not been easy for Watson. He is not used to living with the absence of his dear friend Sherlock Holmes. Everything reminds him of him and even on more than one occasion he thinks he’s crouching in some corner watching someone.

During these three years he has had time to deal with curious or difficult cases and put into practice everything he has learned with Holmes. There’s not a day he doesn’t remember. Because despite being eccentric and even difficult to deal with at times, Watson increasingly enjoyed his company and everything he learned with him every day.

How much he would like Holmes to be here now so that he could talk to him about the case that brought everyone upside down and for which no one could find a solution. Watson was sure Sherlock Holmes would have solved it by now.

The Empty House is the new adaptation of Arthur Conan Doyle’s famous novel by Stephanie Baudet. It’s a very enjoyable way to bring young readers closer to the classics.

It retains the intrigue, tension, sense of humor and adventure of the original. It manages to capture the interest of children from beginning to end but also manages to arouse interest in Arthur Conan Doyle’s novels.

One of the things I like most are the illustrations that are fun and even caricatures. But also the text despite being much lighter retains all the sense of the original version.

I am delighted once again with this new series of stories adapted from Sherlock Holmes. I think they are a success.
Another brilliant retelling of a Sherlock Holmes tale aimed at a younger audience.  There are quite a few in this series now and they are well worth reading and putting in the library.
A well-written retell of Sherlock Holmes.

The language in this book is appropriate for children or English as a Second Language (ESL) readers and the story moves along at a fast enough pace to keep them interested.
In saying that, I would not make this the first Sherlock Holmes book I introduced my class to. You would definitely need to read a few of his books before this to understand the storyline and appreciate this book.

I would recommend this series, the accompanying activities and free audiobook download for Primary school teachers, High school teachers teaching remedial English and for ESL teachers and adult students.

Synopsis from the publisher, as they do it best. ---It has been three years since the death of Sherlock Holmes. Watson is now solving mysteries solo and he’s about to face his toughest one yet: the impossible murder of Mr Adair. What Watson doesn’t know is that this curious case will unearth secrets from beyond the grave...

The Sherlock Holmes Children's Collection: Creatures, Codes and Curious Cases.
Sherlock Holmes returns! Facing beastly creatures, catching curious criminals and uncovering deadly secrets from beneath the sea are all in a day’s work for this world-famous detective and his faithful biographer, Watson, as they face their final (and most dangerous!) cases.

Thank you to NetGalley and Sweet Cherry Publishing for an advance copy.
#kidsSherlock #NetGalley
I’m a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and love the idea of expanding his audience to younger readers. This is a lovely introduction to everything that makes Sherlock unique - his powers of deduction, his observation, his friendship with Watson. Holmes has supposedly died at the Reichenbach  Falls and Watson is left to solve the case of Robert Adair who is killed at his mansion in mysterious circumstances. There’s no violence or anything to disturb younger readers, but the lovely air of mystery and impossibility of a Holmes case is preserved. A lovely read with some absolutely joyous illustrations. This is perfect for children who want to be part of the Sherlock Holmes adventure. With thanks to Netgalley and Sweet Cherry Publishing for a digital copy of this boo
It’s three years since Holmes disappeared at the Reichenbach Falls along with arch enemy Moriarty. Dr Watson misses him daily and tries to channel his inner Holmes especially when Mr Ronald Adair is murdered in a room locked from the inside ......

First of all, what an excellent adaptation by Stephanie Baudet, it’s simplified but loses none of the intrigue of the original. It contains tension, plenty of excitement and should capture the imagination of younger readers. I love the humorous illustrations which add an extra dimension to the storytelling . The story is a vivid one and I can see it engaging a younger audience and generating discussions and theories in the why’s  and how’s. Adaptations like this will hopefully pique an interest in the works of the great Conan Doyle which can then be read as a YA or in adulthood and loved for life.

Overall, highly recommended to parents and for younger readers.

With thanks to NetGalley and Sweet Cherry Publishing for the arc for an honest review.