Cover Image: Murder at the Castle

Murder at the Castle

This book was attention capturing from the very beginning.  It featured an artist and amateur sleuth, who became ensnared in a murder mystery.  The book details a web of deceit on the part of many of the principal characters.  It is up to Detective Inspector Stuart Haley and Iris Grey to unravel the mystery.  I highly recommend this book to other mystery readers.
What a fantastic cozy mystery! I absolutely loved every bit of this book. Likable characters (Iris and Kathy are the best!), lovely setting (Scottish Highlands and a bonus trip to Vienna) and a mystery that keeps one guessing till the end. I am looking forward to reading more of Iris Grey's sleuthing adventures.
This was a cozy detective story perfect for easter. I expected Marple, but got something a bit more flamboyant, which was both fun and fresh. At times the jumps in narrator were confusing, which dragged me out if the experience a bit, and the book was too long, it dragged on a bit too much.

The ending was not what I expected, probably because it was exactly what I expected.

This was a netgalley read.
First book I read by this author and won't surely be the last.
It's a highly entertaining and engrossing story, the characters are interesting and fleshed out, the solid mystery kept me guessing.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Good murder mystery in great settings😊

I gravitate to stories that take place in some of my favorite countries and settings.  This mystery, set mostly in rural Scotland and Venice, has some great features in addition to happening in two of my favorite places.  For the Venice scenes especially, I felt I was right there with the characters.

Unlike many amateur sleuth mysteries I've read, here Iris, the female lead, actually teams up with local law enforcement from the start, with no rivalry or antagonism between portrait painter/amateur detective Iris and Stuart Haley, the local policeman who's honest and earnest about getting to the bottom of things.  I liked how they consulted with and really supported each other.

This is the first time I've read anything by M. B. Shaw and I think I will be looking for more in this series, particularly since each painting commission takes her to new places.  There's never a dull moment as numerous mysteries crop up, a manageable number of characters (and plenty of suspects) kept me guessing right through to the climax and there's even a bit of romance for recently-divorced Iris.   The story is action driven and dredges up current resentments against the local laird's stunningly beautiful American fiancee as well as past secrets that get dug up (literally)!

Thanks to Orion Publishing/Trapeze and NetGalley for sharing an advance complimentary copy of the book;  this is my voluntary and honest review.
A fun, cozy mystery, with an interesting cast of characters and an intriguing plot. I loved the setting and thought the book worked really well overall.
This is the second book in the Iris Grey series and I have put the first on my TBR for this year.

Murder at the Castle was a fun fast paced story that is set in the Scottish Highlands and included everything that I love in the cosy mystery genre. I especially liked Iris and will definitely keep an eye out for MB Shaw's other works.
The characters carried this story. I particularly liked the protagonist Iris who is a portrait painter cum amateur sleuth with relationship issues. For once I also felt that her woes in love did not detract from the main story (as usually happens).
I also loved the rural Scottish setting that lifted the book to a whole new level.
Those are the plus points.
On the negative side... I hate it when the main characters can't put 2 and 2 together when it is so obvious to the reader. I go through the book feeling that 50% of it is unnecessary if they could just see what was right in front of them!
Thank you to the publishers and netgalley for the copy.
Murder at the Castle is the sophomore instalment in the Iris Grey Cosy Mystery series, set in the stunning Scottish Highlands and the equally spectacular Italian city of Venice. Likeable artist, portrait painter and accidental, but seemingly effective, amateur sleuth Iris Grey is invited to Pitfeldy Castle in the Highlands by Baron, Jock MacKinnon, who commissions her to paint his fiancee, American Kathy Miller, renowned for running in fashionable, high societal circles, often featuring the New York elite. Despite a significant difference in age, Jock and Kathy are planning to wed in New York before too long, and to say that his children and ex-wife aren't happy about the impending nuptials would be an understatement. Both Jock’s family and many of the local village residents he has known for longer than he cares to remember, thoroughly dislike Kathy as she appears toalways be on her high horse looking down, patronisingly, on everyone else and they don't feel like she is suitable for Jock at all, but nothing is what it initially appears. Iris soon realises that there is a completely different atmosphere once you scratch through the surface of the facade and she swiftly becomes embroiled in family issues, secrets, lies and murder...

This is a superb cosy mystery with more bite and grit than usual but still maintaining the cosy feeling and it's every bit as entertaining and compelling as the series opener. We still are presented with the chocolate-box village and countryside location, and in my mind, it was exactly like the villages in Midsomer Murders: quaint and typical of England. It's simply the perfect book to escape from the troubles of the world and inhabit someone else's even for a few hours. Iris is a great character and protagonist who is a force for good in her community, and she illustrates just how much of an effective sleuthing brain she has too. As she becomes ever more involved in investigating she soon discovers huge secrets and revelations regarding Kathy and Jock’s family and their pasts. This is a fun, fast-paced, easy read with an enjoyable and entertaining plot, a good cast of characters and a number of suspects with motives, plenty of red herrings, twists and reveals. A delightful cosy that has a satisfying conclusion and if you like the solid, usual format of cosies in general then this will be something you will want to pick up. Highly recommended.
Murder at the Castle by MB Shaw is a solidly written mystery set in the beautiful setting of Highlands.

I am familiar with MB Shaw's previous work correlation with the last Sidney Sheldon so I had certain expectations thinking that this book will resemble her earlier books.
And in a way it does, even though the story doesn't unfold as quickly nor is it as gripping and engrossing.

It is however a plausible and well told mystery, with craftily presented characters and intelligent mystery nicely introduced.
There are some quite likeable protagonists and some that are less so. Main character is smart, realistic, down to earth and artistic woman. It is a pleasure to read about such character.
Side characters are somewhat typical but still compelling.
Mystery unfolds slowly, it is easy to follow and is told from different perspectives. Main detective is a very personable yet authoritative.
This is a very good start in what will probably become mystery series.
I really enjoyed this murder mystery.  Iris is an interesting lead character, being an artist and having great people skills.  Other characters are also fully fleshed  out.  The settings in Scotland and Venice are beautifully described.  I will now read the previous book in what will hopefully be a long series.
A fun and fast paced murder mystery that I just couldn’t out down. It reminded me so much of the murder mysteries that I used to read as a child and the same feelings kept coming back. A really wonderful read and I can’t wait to get my hands on more from this author in the future. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The story is set in Scotland. Iris Grey has been invited to the castle to paint a portrait. But things are what they appear to be. The castle hides secrets and lies and a murder takes place. It's down to Iris to solve the mystery.

I enjoyed this fast paced murder mystery. I couldn't put it down because I just had to know 'whodunnit'. Loved the characters and the charm of the castle. This is the second book in the series but to be honest I never noticed until I had read the book. I now need to read the first!
In Which Iris Takes To The Highlands.....
Iris Grey, whose acquaintance we first made in ‘Murder At The Mill’, takes to the Highlands in this second cosy mystery of the series. An art commission from a Baron finds her at Pitfeldy Castle. Not is all as it seems, however, and Iris soon becomes embroiled in family feuds, threats, secrets and ultimately...murder. Enjoyable and entertaining with a likeable protagonist and a colourful cast of supporting characters. Relaxing, escapist reading.
This is the second book in the Iris Grey series and it was just as enjoyable as the first.

Iris Grey has been invited to Pitfeldy Castle in Scotland to paint Baron Jock MacKinnon’s American fiancee, Kathy Miller, before their New Year wedding. Kathy has been receiving  anonymous notes advising her to call off the nuptials and she asks for Iris’ help to discover the culprit. When bones are discovered on the Castle’s property, things take a sinister turn and when Jock presses for the investigation to be shut down, Iris is left wondering what he is hiding. Can she discover who the bones belong to and how they came to be buried on Castle grounds?

An enjoyable murder mystery with good characters which was an entertaining read.
This is the second book in this series by Tilly Bagshaw writing as M B Shaw. I had enjoyed the forst installment very much and was excited to see the follow up book when it came here on Netgalley. It was an enjoyable ride, but a little less so than the first part.

Our painter detective Iris Grey finds a mystery in Highlands when she is invited there by a baron Jock MacKinnon to paint his fiancee Kathy Miller. There is a huge age gap between Kathy and Jock and it is no surprise that none of Jock's children or his ex wife are happy about this upcoming marriage. Even the people of the village seem to hate Kathy who is an outsider and who refuses to do everything that the villagers expect of her. Someone had been leaving her threatening notes and she wants Iris to solve this mystery. But the mystery Iris has to solve is even more sinister than a poison pen - she and Kathy discover remains of human bones long buried in the Baron's property. Iris is adamant that she will get justice for the two murdered women and her journey takes her from Scotland to Italy and back before she can bring the perpetrators to justice.

While the novel was interesting, i felt it could have been a little shorter and wokred better. Also, the angle of Iris's romance with a young fisherman added nothing to the plot and could have been done away with altogether. The references to her strange dressing style also came up more than once and felt repetitive. As a mystery though, it was enjoyable. I liked the character portrayal but did feel that some threads were left loose.

3.5 stars. Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for a copy of the book!