Cover Image: Over My Dead Body

Over My Dead Body

3 stars from me

Sorry Jeffrey, it pains me to give your book 3 stars as I have absolutely adored some of your previous books.

Maybe that makes me judge you too harshly, hmmm.

I greatly enjoyed the character of the young man that DCI Warwick met on the cruise and the little charade of 'whodunnit' was exquisitely Poirotesque. Loved it.

Unfortunately, for me, although Over My Dead Body had a clever storyline and showed glimpses of brilliance, it just  wasn't quite there. Parts of it were a little muddled and at times it was hard to keep track of who was who.
I always enjoy Jeffrey Archer books and was steadily working my way through his novels when I was offered the opportunity to read book 4 in the William Warwick series. Having only previously read the first book and being a stickler for reading series in order quickly read books two and three prior to starting this one.

The thing with Archer novels are that the plots are always so well planned out. This one is no different and makes a very entertaining read.

In this fourth book in the series Detective Sergeant William Warwick is faced with a cold case and a suspect who has evaded arrest for far too long.

In London, the Metropolitan Police have set up a new Unsolved Murders Unit to catch the criminals nobody else can. Four victims. Four cases. All killers poised to strike again. In Geneva, millionaire art collector Miles Faulkner, convicted of forgery and theft was pronounced dead two months ago. So why is his unscrupulous lawyer still representing a dead client? And who is the mysterious man his widow is planning to marry?

Excellent storytelling a per usual make this series a very good cosy crime series.

I would like to thank both Netgalley and Harper Collins for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely adore every one of Jeffrey Archer books, and this one is no exception. The continuing saga of William Warwick and co brightened my day, well the two days it took to devour this book. Jeffrey is truly the greatest author of our time, every book is a joy to read and I never want the book to finish, and when it does I desperately want him to travel to Mallorca to finish the next in the series. Please never stop writing in the absorbing way you do. Once again a masterpiece
I have to admit, I came late to Jeffrey Archers books - what a storyteller! His writing is just astonishing! Absorbing, full of depth with many different threads running through the same story, characters that are fully rounded with flaws as well as strong character points. William Warwick is full of personality and can have a touch of sheer genius when it comes to solving crimes, but has he met his match this time. Archer takes you through this book at his usual cracking pace with each chapter drawing you further in. I absolutely loved it, loved the narrative, loved the familiar characters and loved the unexpected. Archer has done it again, just brilliant!
I absolutely love Archer’s books and the finale to his series on William Warwick was no exception. It helped that I read it in quick succession to number three so I was au fait and could remember the storyline and characters. It has its usual in depth threads of the story and his characters are great. I enjoyed every minute of the book and was only sad that with every chapter that passed I was a chapter closer to the end. Would highly recommend!
What can you say about Jeffrey Archer’s books that has not been said before? You know what you are going to get when you turn the first page and you are never disappointed until you reach the end. Reaching the end of this one on my Kindle, I actually thought it had froze, as the book came to something of an abrupt end,  but again with Archer, you always know that the story and the characters will reappear in another book at a later date.
An enjoyable read over two or three days and I look forward to the continuing saga. Recommended.
A note for the editors though. Sunderland are not nicknamed the Toffees.
I love this series and I think this is the best one yet. William Warwick is a fabulously entertaining main character who keeps the reader engaged. The recurring supporting characters are also well written, so a new book in this series is like reconnecting with old friends. In this story, I enjoyed the sub plot on the cruise ship and very much hope that James becomes another recurring character. Great plot, but I really hope I’ve now seen the back of Mr Faulkner as I think that story has now run it’s course.