Cover Image: Survivor’s Guilt

Survivor’s Guilt

I have been looking forward too this book after the last one and boy it didnt dissapoint went throughall the emotions with matilda and her team i laughed smile, cried - poor sian and zofia and adele and oh my goodness the last two chapters i want to read the next ome now. Michael Wood definately knows how too keep us in suspense.
The 8th book in the Matilda Darke series and it starts with a recap of the disastrous 2015 case of Carl Meagan who was abducted from his home. A botched ransom drop is something Matilda will never forget or forgive herself for, this subplot continues through the book. and ties up loose ends. from the original story. The book fast-forwards to 2019 to where Matilda has returned to work after many months of sick leave from when she received a near-fatal bullet wound to the head. several of her colleagues weren't so lucky and did not survive the attack. Going back to work was never going to be easy, the depleted team have a massive task ahead as prostitutes are being murdered on the streets of Sheffield. This book is a brilliant addition to the series, the ending is mind-blowing, I enjoyed it immensely, bring on number 9
I couldn’t wait to start reading this after the events of the previous book. It is a fantastic series and this is no exception. Having been seriously wounded, after nine months, Matilda Darke has returned to work although suffering psychological problems which are well portrayed. There is also the culmination of an abduction which has run throughout the books. Having come to know all the characters over the previous seven books, it was great to catch up with those still there and understand the grief for those lost. As always there is a gripping plot which makes unexpected twists, particularly the final one. And yes, I can’t wait for the next installment. It is definitely worth starting with the first book and following through, although having read this one, I’m sure that would happen! A highly recommended police procedural series.
Thanks to Harper Collins UK,One more chapter and NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest review.
I dudnt think Woods could top his last Novel but man was I wrong! This book had me gripped from the very first page to the last. I've read all his books but this has got to be up there with the most addictive, shocking and cunning books of his I've read. Was not disappointed!
Yet another fantastic read in this highly recommended series. I was dreading finishing it and I definitely didn’t guess the culprit, something which I was a bit: miffed about because I normally do!
I have followed and loved these characters from the beginning and feel like I know them personally, they are real to me and I go through everything with them. I could literally shout and screen how good these books are. Already longing for the next one. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for an advance copy.
This is the 8th book in the DCI Matilda Darke series by author Michael Wood. After the excellent previous novel that was packed with suspense and tragedy it was always going to be an hard act to follow. This is a really good series and this is another exciting read that is very close to the high standard set before.

For me the real strength of this series are the characters that I could easily imagine portrayed in a television series. Together with the exciting plots that are so well written make this a very good series.

n the last book DCI Matilda Darke survived a bullet to the head and many of her team were fatally wounded in a brutal attack that shocked the local community. The death toll reached double figures including many of Matilda’s close friends and colleagues. Nine months later she is still plagued with nightmares of that dreadful day but wants to get back to what she does best. Matilda gets straight back into the action when a woman is found murdered and her wounds look eerily similar to several cold cases which could mean a serial killer is on the loose in Sheffield.

Matilda is still feeling the mental scars from the attack nine months ago and there is an uneasiness within her team brought on by the previous loss of many colleagues in the attack. This case may prove to be the toughest yet with tensions running high as well as battling demons.

I would like to thank both Net Galley and Harper Collins UK for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Fans of this gritty, Sheffield-based police procedural series will not be disappointed. Set 9 months after the shocking events of the previous book, this story follows the remaining members of the murder investigation squad as they try to rebuild their working and private lives. It's not much of a spoiler to say: if you think things couldn't get worse for the team, think again...
The plot returns to two storylines that have been simmering for the last few books and brings them to a satisfactory but gobsmacking conclusion.
Although the book can be read as a standalone, why not start at Book 1 and immerse yourself in this unflinching, no-frills police series.
With thanks to the author, publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to read an early copy in exchange for an independent review.
DI Matilda Darke #8

‘You’re a survivor, aren’t you Matilda?’ She may well have survived the dramatic events that concluded the last book but she’s not coping as her loyal team at The Homicide and Major Crime Unit will attest. Her attention at the start of the book is on the return home of Carl Meagan, kidnapped several years ago but the rest of the team are focused on a case of some missing prostitutes and some who have been murdered.

Well, I wasn’t sure how Michael Wood could follow the last instalment but oh boy, he has. This is a stellar series with fantastic characters and in this one we see them struggling to cope with the aftermath of the losses suffered in book 7 and with Matilda’s erratic behaviour. This is a very loyal team who care about their colleagues and have each other’s backs and their camaraderie and professionalism comes across well. It’s extremely good on the shifting dynamics after a tragedy, everything has changed to a lesser of greater degree. It’s an emotional read in places with raw grief on display which is so moving as are the emotions of the parents of Carl Meagan. I like how this has been a continuous thread through the series but the author does a good job at filling in the blanks for first time readers.

The prostitute storyline is extremely good and I especially like the inclusion of the very likeable characters of Bev and Sarah and you feel such sympathy for how lives can change so easily. Bev is fantastic character, such a caring Mother Earth figure who really looks out for her fellow workers. This is a dark and gritty case and an audacious plan is required to find and apprehend a killer who is beyond ruthless. You certainly get on a rollercoaster with this storyline as the plot twists and turns in unexpected directions. As the end approaches you do feel as if you’ve been clobbered with a sledge hammer so great is the shock. There’s tension and then there’s a Michael Wood ending which is different level. I could churn out all the cliches of wide open jaws, popping eyes, sharp intakes of breath etc, but nothing will do it justice. Authors who aren’t sure how to finish a book should read this authors work - that’s how you do it!!! Roll on number 9, I can hardly wait!!!

With thanks to NetGalley and especially to HarperCollins UK / One More Chapter for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A really good read.i would recommend this book to all.
My thanks to Harper Collins U.K., Michael Wood and Netgalley.
I made it to 25%, and spent the whole time thinking how unlikable these people were.
I should have felt more. Especially with what was going on, but they were awful.
Usually I'd D.N.F., but as it's an ARC, and I can't leave no stars, I'll 3* it. Which is a 2 1/2 star.
The mystery in this story is not difficult to follow. The characters are pretty transparent and this is a quick read.  However, this story is not one of my favorites...the book was sent to me on Kindle by Metgalley for review and although others might love it, I did not.
It's 9 months since a brutal attack claimed the lives of Matilda Darke's colleagues and friends and Matilda herself is still recovering from the trauma of surviving the attack. A serial killer is targeting prostitutes in Sheffield and Matilda's colleagues are increasingly concerned about her ability to lead the team and solve the case. This is another superb read in the Matilda Darke series which I love for the characters, the setting and the always engaging plotting. The twist is superb ! Highly recommended.
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this digital ARC.
My thoughts about Michael Wood’s Survivor’s Guilt, is what can I say its spectacular a breathtaking thriller that grips you right from the very first page, till you reach the end. Michael Wood again hits the jackpot with his writing, which is incredible and fascinating,the way Michael writes a story is always special,when it comes to great storytelling, Michael Wood is a pure talent that he is in a league of his own. Survivor’s Guilt is indeed one of this year’s best police procedural thrillers this year,and the return of DCI Matilda Darke is another feature in his cap. The story of Survivor’s Guilt, begins after the events of Time Is Running Out, Nine months ago DCI Matilda Darke survived a bullet to the head. The brutal attack claimed dozens of lives, including those she loved most, and the nightmares still plague her every waking thought.Now, she’s ready to get back on the job. But a new terror awaits. A woman is found murdered and her wounds look eerily similar to several cold cases. Desperate to find a lead, DCI Darke and her team must face a terrifying truth: a serial killer is on the loose in Sheffield. Matilda has led countless murder investigations before but the lingering emotional scars from her ordeal and the uneasiness within her once-tight team have left tensions high. As the body count rises, Matilda realises that this might just be where it all ends. Survivor’s Guilt is a well written and well crafted suspense police procedural thriller, that will take you on a Rollercoaster ride.Michael Wood’s brilliant follow up to the excellent Time Is Running Out, Survivor’s Guilt is not only brilliant,but beyond excellent,and Hard-hitting magnificent.I would like to say thank you to Author Michael Wood, Netgally and Publishers One More Chapter,for kindly gifting me a copy of this brilliant thriller,for me to read and review which has been a privilege.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  HarperCollins Publishers UK, One More Chapter and the author,  Michael Wood, for 5he opportunity to read an advanced readers copy of Survivor's Guilt 8n exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
Absolutely love this book,  this series and this author.
This instalment in the Matilda Drake series was a roller-coaster read.  The characters are well drawn and realistic . I was hooked from the start.
Highly recommend this book and this series.
Absolutely brilliant! I love the Matilda Darke series of books; after the last instalment I didn’t think Michael could shock his readers any more than he already has….but what an ending! I gasped when it was revealed who was the killer, I did not see that coming! I can not wait to see what happens in the next book, which I hope he’s already writing!
I’ve been with this series since the very beginning, so needless to say I was really looking forward to reading this latest one, Survivor’s Guilt. After the shocking events of the previous book, I was eagerly anticipating this one to see what happened in the aftermath of Time Is Running Out.
Survivor’s Guilt is another excellent installment in the series. Gripping, fast-paced and it definitely packs a punch. I knew when I started it that I would get hooked, and that’s exactly what happened. I put down all the other books I had on the go because I just had to keep reading. I love that about this series.
I’m not even going to go into plots or anything like that, not least because I hate giving anything away. What I will say is that I enjoyed Survivor’s Guilt immensely. Having been with these characters from the beginning, the emotional investment in their welfare will always be there. I’ll always recommend the Matilda Darke series for crime fans,
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

I was a fan of the first six instalments of this series, gave up on the seventh in disgust, and hoped that this one would be a return to form. Sadly, I think Matilda Darke and I will have to part ways after this. This is very much a continuation of on-going storylines (the author is still flogging the Carl Meagan horse) and doesn't really stand alone. There was a constant harking back to the colleagues massacred in the last book, with Matilda still suffering from both emotional and physical after-effects, and everyone else affected to a lesser or greater extent. Matilda's sufferings make her rude and a bully to almost everyone, and she demonstrates an appalling leadership style, which leads directly to one of her officers becoming a paraplegic. Matilda doesn't appear to view this as her fault for some reason, and just plans to welcome her back to work in a desk job.

The identity of the serial killer was certainly a shock and I didn't see it coming, but it cemented my resolution not to continue with this series. I know it's a small point, but it also means I won't have to constantly read about characters 'sat' in chairs (as opposed to 'sitting' or 'seated').
It hasn’t even been a year since an attack left DCI Matilda Darke with a bullet in her head and others in her team dead, but she has to get back to work. A woman found murdered bears all the hallmarks of unsolved cold case murders, leading Matilda to believe there may be a serial killer operating on her patch. But the events of the last year have taken a toll on the DCI and her team; will their feelings let a killer escape, or even worse, get too close? Wood Is a fabulous writer and I always know I’m in for a treat when I start one of his books
There's no let up for Matilda and her team.
As they try to recover from their loss and grief,things aren't quite the same.
Lost friends and colleagues,friendships put to test, and on top of that,somebody appears to be killing prostitutes.
I'm giving no spoilers here ,just saying that I raced through this book,and genuinely gasped out loud at least once.
It's an emotional rollercoaster... for the reader and the characters.
I don't wish to be pushy,but more please Mr.Wood.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was a great storyline with excellent characters.  I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.