Survivor’s Guilt

Pub Date 28 Oct 2021 | Archive Date 28 Oct 2021

*Preorder the next gripping instalment in the bestselling DCI Matilda Darke series now!*

‘Matilda Darke is an excellent character’ BA Paris

A TEAM TORN APART

A MEMORY SHE’D RATHER FORGET

A THREAT CLOSE TO HOME

The brand new instalment in the DCI Matilda Darke series will leave you on the edge of your seat. Perfect for fans of Angela Marsons, Kathy Reichs and Peter James.

‘Matilda Darke is an excellent character’ BA Paris

A TEAM TORN APART

Nine months ago DCI...

EDITION Ebook
PRICE A$8.99 (AUD)

Send To Kindle (MOBI)

Less than a year ago DCI Matilda Darke and her team stared death in the face. Not all of them survived and amongst the many who lost their lives were family members and friends. Now though, Matilda is back at work and a body has been found. When similarities are discovered which seem to link the new investigation to a number of cold cases it suggests there is a serial killer roaming the streets of Sheffield once again. Matilda is a past master at keeping her feelings to herself but, as the kidnapping of Carl Meagan four years earlier showed, that isn't always a good idea. Now her emotions are so close to the surface that keeping them hidden is getting harder by the day. With the body count rising the risk of failure is a torment she can't escape but is unable to share, what will happen if it all goes wrong again? This is an absolutely fantastic continuation from the previous, traumatic book by the excellent Michael Wood and I was hooked from the first word to the last. By moving on nine months the aftermath of the shootings is dealt with gradually and the current case is allowed to take centre stage. The resolution of the investigation is shocking in the extreme and I defy anyone to work it out ahead of time but it is in no way unrealistic or disappointing. Added to this there is, at the very end, a cliffhanger and the need to wait once again to see what happens next! I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers but the opinions expressed are my own. This is first class British crime writing which will keep you up all night. Absolutely unputdownable and highly recommended.

My thoughts about Michael Wood’s Survivor’s Guilt, is what can I say its spectacular a breathtaking thriller that grips you right from the very first page, till you reach the end. Michael Wood again hits the jackpot with his writing, which is incredible and fascinating,the way Michael writes a story is always special,when it comes to great storytelling, Michael Wood is a pure talent that he is in a league of his own. Survivor’s Guilt is indeed one of this year’s best police procedural thrillers this year,and the return of DCI Matilda Darke is another feature in his cap. The story of Survivor’s Guilt, begins after the events of Time Is Running Out, Nine months ago DCI Matilda Darke survived a bullet to the head. The brutal attack claimed dozens of lives, including those she loved most, and the nightmares still plague her every waking thought.Now, she’s ready to get back on the job. But a new terror awaits. A woman is found murdered and her wounds look eerily similar to several cold cases. Desperate to find a lead, DCI Darke and her team must face a terrifying truth: a serial killer is on the loose in Sheffield. Matilda has led countless murder investigations before but the lingering emotional scars from her ordeal and the uneasiness within her once-tight team have left tensions high. As the body count rises, Matilda realises that this might just be where it all ends. Survivor’s Guilt is a well written and well crafted suspense police procedural thriller, that will take you on a Rollercoaster ride.Michael Wood’s brilliant follow up to the excellent Time Is Running Out, Survivor’s Guilt is not only brilliant,but beyond excellent,and Hard-hitting magnificent.I would like to say thank you to Author Michael Wood, Netgally and Publishers One More Chapter,for kindly gifting me a copy of this brilliant thriller,for me to read and review which has been a privilege.

Thankyou to NetGalley, HarperCollins Publishers UK, One More Chapter and the author, Michael Wood, for 5he opportunity to read an advanced readers copy of Survivor's Guilt 8n exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion. Absolutely love this book, this series and this author. This instalment in the Matilda Drake series was a roller-coaster read. The characters are well drawn and realistic . I was hooked from the start. Highly recommend this book and this series.

Absolutely brilliant! I love the Matilda Darke series of books; after the last instalment I didn’t think Michael could shock his readers any more than he already has….but what an ending! I gasped when it was revealed who was the killer, I did not see that coming! I can not wait to see what happens in the next book, which I hope he’s already writing!

I really enjoyed this book. It was a great storyline with excellent characters. I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.

DI Matilda Darke #8 ‘You’re a survivor, aren’t you Matilda?’ She may well have survived the dramatic events that concluded the last book but she’s not coping as her loyal team at The Homicide and Major Crime Unit will attest. Her attention at the start of the book is on the return home of Carl Meagan, kidnapped several years ago but the rest of the team are focused on a case of some missing prostitutes and some who have been murdered. Well, I wasn’t sure how Michael Wood could follow the last instalment but oh boy, he has. This is a stellar series with fantastic characters and in this one we see them struggling to cope with the aftermath of the losses suffered in book 7 and with Matilda’s erratic behaviour. This is a very loyal team who care about their colleagues and have each other’s backs and their camaraderie and professionalism comes across well. It’s extremely good on the shifting dynamics after a tragedy, everything has changed to a lesser of greater degree. It’s an emotional read in places with raw grief on display which is so moving as are the emotions of the parents of Carl Meagan. I like how this has been a continuous thread through the series but the author does a good job at filling in the blanks for first time readers. The prostitute storyline is extremely good and I especially like the inclusion of the very likeable characters of Bev and Sarah and you feel such sympathy for how lives can change so easily. Bev is fantastic character, such a caring Mother Earth figure who really looks out for her fellow workers. This is a dark and gritty case and an audacious plan is required to find and apprehend a killer who is beyond ruthless. You certainly get on a rollercoaster with this storyline as the plot twists and turns in unexpected directions. As the end approaches you do feel as if you’ve been clobbered with a sledge hammer so great is the shock. There’s tension and then there’s a Michael Wood ending which is different level. I could churn out all the cliches of wide open jaws, popping eyes, sharp intakes of breath etc, but nothing will do it justice. Authors who aren’t sure how to finish a book should read this authors work - that’s how you do it!!! Roll on number 9, I can hardly wait!!! With thanks to NetGalley and especially to HarperCollins UK / One More Chapter for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.

Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. A really good read.i would recommend this book to all.

Yet another fantastic read in this highly recommended series. I was dreading finishing it and I definitely didn’t guess the culprit, something which I was a bit: miffed about because I normally do! I have followed and loved these characters from the beginning and feel like I know them personally, they are real to me and I go through everything with them. I could literally shout and screen how good these books are. Already longing for the next one. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for an advance copy.

The 8th book in the Matilda Darke series and it starts with a recap of the disastrous 2015 case of Carl Meagan who was abducted from his home. A botched ransom drop is something Matilda will never forget or forgive herself for, this subplot continues through the book. and ties up loose ends. from the original story. The book fast-forwards to 2019 to where Matilda has returned to work after many months of sick leave from when she received a near-fatal bullet wound to the head. several of her colleagues weren't so lucky and did not survive the attack. Going back to work was never going to be easy, the depleted team have a massive task ahead as prostitutes are being murdered on the streets of Sheffield. This book is a brilliant addition to the series, the ending is mind-blowing, I enjoyed it immensely, bring on number 9

I couldn’t wait to start reading this after the events of the previous book. It is a fantastic series and this is no exception. Having been seriously wounded, after nine months, Matilda Darke has returned to work although suffering psychological problems which are well portrayed. There is also the culmination of an abduction which has run throughout the books. Having come to know all the characters over the previous seven books, it was great to catch up with those still there and understand the grief for those lost. As always there is a gripping plot which makes unexpected twists, particularly the final one. And yes, I can’t wait for the next installment. It is definitely worth starting with the first book and following through, although having read this one, I’m sure that would happen! A highly recommended police procedural series. Thanks to Harper Collins UK,One more chapter and NetGalley for an ARC in return for an honest review.

I dudnt think Woods could top his last Novel but man was I wrong! This book had me gripped from the very first page to the last. I've read all his books but this has got to be up there with the most addictive, shocking and cunning books of his I've read. Was not disappointed!

Woohoo Michael Woods is back with the eighth book in the DCI Maltilda Darke series. I wasn’t sure how Michael Woods could top Time Is Running Out (the seventh book) my favourite book in this series so far! But he has! Survivor’s Guilt is yet another binge worthy addition to this stellar series. So buckle up for a bumpy ride, as the author takes you on a rollercoaster with highs, lows, twist and turns galore.   Survivor’s Guilt begins 9 months after the brutal attack that left Matilda in a coma, an attack that also resulted in the deaths of several of her close friends and colleagues. Matilda is back at work alongside her depleted team investigating the murders of prostitutes. It soon becomes apparent that there is a serial killer is on the loose on the streets of Sheffield. The strength of this series is the characters. As a huge fan, I’ve watched Matilda and her team develop and grow into living characters. Matilda and her team’s grief is palatable as they try to make sense of what’s happened and come to terms with their losses. This book sees a shift in the team's dynamics, which is hardly surprising considering all they’ve been through, but there’s disharmony, and the divide grows between the team as Matilda’s ability to lead comes under question. It’s an emotional read in parts as we see how different members of the team struggle with the complexities of ‘survivor’s guilt’, as well as how it affects their relationships with other members of this once close team.  It’s great the author ‘humanised’ the prostitutes, they’re not just ‘victims’. He gives each one a backstory. This series goes from strength to strength. It’s one that hasn’t lost its momentum, unlike some crime series I have given up on way before this point! Michael Wood always delivers at least one ‘OMFG I never seen that coming moment’, it’s a shocker, but cleverly executed! The tension is palatable as the plot reaches its nail biting conclusion. Survivor’s Guilt is hard-hitting, with a compelling plot, it’s superbly written and one not to be missed. A MUST READ for crime fans.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC. After the roller coaster read of Time is Running Out I wondered how this series would carry on. It begins 9 months afterwards and DCI Darke has returned to work. This is the first book so far where I didn’t much like her character, or her attitude sometimes towards her team which leads them to question her fitness and ability to do her job properly. I really liked DI Brady though, and as a side character he is really growing on me. The team investigate the murder of a woman who has similar injuries to victims from old cases and they realise there may be a serial killer on their patch. I thought this book was very well written, it was fast paced and thrilling and one where the author has captured his characters feelings, thoughts and emotions whilst grieving very eloquently, realistically and believably. And I loved that an ongoing story thread is reintroduced again here. Parts of this book were very poignant and sad to read and when I read who the murderer was - what a shock !! I don’t think I would have ever have guessed that correctly! Overall, wow what a fab read. One that didn’t disappoint and I very much look forward to the next book.

Survivor’s Guilt by Michael Wood is an outstanding book, when I read the previous DCI Matilda Darke book Time is Running Out I didn’t think that could be surpassed, but book 8 is carrying on in the Michael Wood tradition of improving the taut storytelling with each book. The storyline is superb following on from the death and injuries to the murder team in his previous book, Matilda Darke and her reduced team have to hunt for a serial killer and a kidnapped child returns home. An outstanding achievement. Highly recommended

After losing several colleagues and friends to a maniac, and mental as well as physical rehabilitation Matilda Darke is back at work. She is not her old self, and her colleagues knows it. A lot has changed in her life, and at work. Prostitutes have been murdered one in awhile over some years, and suddenly the killer seems to be on a killing spree. Matilda takes on these cases at the same time as the old case of the old missing child case ends, when Carl is returning back to his biological parents. There is a lot going on in this book. It starts off with a slower pace, in the aftermath of the tragedy that the whole police force suffers from. There is a lot of reflecting, and getting used to the new situation. Some have not gotten over the tragedy at all. Others are struggling hard. The pace changes when the killing spree starts. There are many things going on simultaneously, and it gets darker and darker. The ending took me by surprise. I can honestly say I could not have guessed the culprit, but he seemed to take everyone by surprise. The last page made me want to Sheffield, to knock on Michael Wood's door, and politely make him write the next book immediately! This series has become one of my all time favourites. The way Wood writes is different and great in every possible way. I can't drop the book for even a second. I simply have to finish it as soon as possible. Not only is the writing great, but the suspense is literally killing me, and the storytelling is superb! We want more!

I have been looking forward too this book after the last one and boy it didnt dissapoint went throughall the emotions with matilda and her team i laughed smile, cried - poor sian and zofia and adele and oh my goodness the last two chapters i want to read the next ome now. Michael Wood definately knows how too keep us in suspense.

DCI Matilda Darke is back to work after the horrific events from 12 months previous. The events have left their mark on the team and no one is the same as they were. Now a killer is murdering prostitutes and can the team work together or are they too broken and emotional to work together? Michael is the master of giving the reader a WTF moment when you scream at your kindle in shock and disbelief and your husband and child think that something is wrong! Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.

The previous book to Survivor’s Guilt literally took my breath away. There was so much that happened in that book which meant I have been eagerly awaiting this one and it didn’t disappoint! You definitely need to have read Time Is Running Out, the seventh book in the series before embarking on this one, the eighth book. Nine months have passed since previous events left Matilda’s team having to come to terms with the huge impact that has affected them all. It was heart breaking to see how the characters were trying to carry on with their lives with some coping better than others. Matilda has only recently returned and there is a serial killer on the lose. There is a lot of tension within the team and friendships and working relationships are extremely fraught. It is understandable how most of the characters are feeling and I wondered at times if there was any way forward for them all. Along with the serial killer thread, there is also the thread to do with an earlier case of Matilda’s of which if you are a fan of this series, this is another must read as it’s something I have been very invested in throughout these books and I am sure many other readers have been also. Survivor’s Guilt was an impressive follow on that made for both an emotional and shocking read. It was brilliant! At one part I was in tears and another I had to pick my jaw up off of the floor as I was so gobsmacked by an unexpected twist. It was so good that I had to go back and re read it as I just couldn’t comprehend what I had just read. I am literally still in shock now! Michael Wood is an author who just delivers every time with each book. It’s like I’m a literary junkie and the author is my dealer who manages to fix my cravings with each of his books. Loved it!

This is the 8th instalment of DCI Matilda Darke series. It’s nearly a year since the devastating event that killed servers of her team and close friends. Darke is returning back to duties as the long on going Carl Meghan case comes to an end and a woman is found killed which resembles several cold cases. Her team have doubts she is for for duty and she’s goes off on a tangent with selected team members. An amazing read, full of emotions for all the characters. This can be read out of order but would be beneficial to have the full background story. It was hard to see how Darke could return, but she has with bells on. Can’t wait for the next book.

This series is one of the best in contemporary crime fiction. Great plots, excellent characters and superb plot lines. I thought Michael Wood would find it difficult to match the drama of his previous Matilda Darke novel but this is just as gripping but with a slightly lower body count! As Matilda continues to recover from THAT shooting, she finds it difficult to give herself over fully to her work and relations with colleagues are stretched to the limit. And the denouement....!

Although I hadn't read any books in this series it was easy to pick up and I really enjoyed it. This was a real page turner and a book that I needed to complete in one session which I did. Off to read more in the series now I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.

Michael Wood you have outdone yourself once again in this beyond excellent DCI Matilda Darke Series. Book 7 took my breath away after a mass shooting and not knowing who on Matilda's team would survive. Many didn't. Its nine months later and Matilda is back working with a team that has been devastated and they are facing a serial killer. I cried with the team, I cheered them and on and even smiled with them at times. It's a horrific case and the tension can be felt at team briefings and beyond. The ending is jaw dropping and one I would never have seen coming. Matilda is back ! I can't wait for book 9 in the series though I am nervous as to what Michael Wood will have Matilda and her team face next. Don't miss this series; not one book of it ! Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK, One More Chapter, One More Chapter for a heart pounding roller coaster of a read.

Although technically this book could be read on its own I would advise readers new to this author to read the series in order. I love a book with a great twist at the end and really enjoy trying to work out what it will be. But I defy anyone to guess the ending here. I couldn't have been more shocked if it had been Matilda herself who was killing the prostitutes..I will be waiting with baited breath for Michael Wood's next book.

Gripping, breathtaking, brilliant !!. I thoroughly enjoyed this book which was up to Michael Wood's excellent standard. His ability as a wordsmith gives his characters depth and makes the story-line totally absorbing. I love Michael Wood's work and am eagerly awaiting his next book. Thank you Netgalley and Harper Collins UK for giving me the chance to read and review this book.