Cover Image: What Might Have Been

What Might Have Been

Just finished!! Enjoyed this novel ..bit of deja vu ..with the sliding doors aspect.
Lucy must make several decisions..and you follow the two different timelines of her choices. Had to recap a bit when I picked up the story again to remember which timeline I was in! Interesting to see both outcomes of her choices and relatable to decisions we all make in our own lives.
This is a lovely 'sliding doors' read of a book - It is the story of Lucy who one night is at a crossroads with her life - does she move to London and follow Matt the love of her life who she last saw 10 years ago or does she stay in her hometown Shorley by the sea and start up a relationship with Caleb - the story is told in STAY and GO chapters. I really enjoyed both of the lives that she went on and loved how the stories had the same themes but they came to them in a different way. Clever read !
A sweet love story following two story lines about what could have happened at a moment in time if a different decision had been made. Although the “sliding doors” storyline is not original, this was well written and compelling, with two believable stories emerging from the “split”. A nice easy holiday read. With thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for an advance copy to review.
Having loved this authors previous book I was looking forward to reading this one and it certainly didn’t disappoint. It was written from a sliding doors perspective with dual narrative of how each situation might have panned out and how depending on which decisions and choices are made the path to your destiny plays out.

This was a poignant romantic read which makes you think about all the what ifs and what might have been in our own lives and about living for the moment.
What Might Have Been by Holly Miller

I received an advance review copy for free thanks to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton and I am leaving this review voluntarily

The day that changes Lucy's life starts in the worst way possible when she is abruptly fired from her job. Drowning her sorrows in a nearby bar, Lucy spots her ex-boyfriend Max walking past outside. Should she stay where she is and ignore him or should she step outside and say hello?

Everything hinges on the outcome of this one decision. In two storylines, we see what happens when Lucy follows both her head and her heart, and how the ripples from this moment change her whole life.

There are two different 'timelines' in this book each based on a choice. Lucy, our protagonist, must choose to either stay in her hometown and write the novel she wants to write or move to London to take a job with another agency. Whilst I like the idea of this book, for me how this one was written just didn't work and I found myself losing track of which 'timeline' I was in.

Rating 3/5
I absolutely loved this book! After being a devout psychological thriller reader for years, I’ve delved into the worlds of other genres and I haven’t looked back once. What Might Have Been is a contemporary ‘sliding doors’ romance and I immensely enjoyed it.

I really liked Lucy Lambert and was absorbed in both of her stories. The dual storylines were easy to follow because they each followed and examined the same passage of time. There were some moments that I wasn’t a huge fan of but these were few and far between - overall I think the book was written beautifully and I found it emotional and meaningful.

Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton and Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really struggled with this one. The story of Lucy Lambert told in two different time frames: "Stay" and "Go" relating to if she stays at Uni and continues a relationship with Max, her soulmate or not. There was just too much going on for me and I found it hard to concentrate. Either storyline would be good individually.
I was intrigued by the premise of this book, the “what if” scenario. I liked the sliding door aspect, but I couldn’t really connect with Lucy.  I also got slightly confused with the different timelines and number of characters. Maybe it just wasn’t for me, 3.5 stars.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
A sliding doors type of story showing two different outcomes to one story. An engrossing, surprising book !
The two different stories ran concurrently and seamlessly together.
Loved it and would highly recommend
Thanks to Netgalley and Hodder and Stoughton for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review
Quite slow in places, but had some nice moments. I didn't find this book to keep my interest that much, but Miller captures some lovely interactions that will resonate with most people.
It took me a while to settle in to this book - my Kindle wasn't displaying it very well, so I found it difficult. I'm not usually a fan of the "Sliding Doors type books" but this was a well told tale of two loves. Again, Holly Miller has written another great book with a beautiful ending.
I loved the 'sliding doors' premise. It's done so cleverly in this novel... beautifully written and full of heart, it puts you in and you won't want to stop reading until you turn the last page.

I found it a bit predictable so it lost a 🌟

But overall it's an emotional rollercoaster, I was very glad I jumped on.
I adored this book, the concept, the story arc. I loved it all.

This book is two stories, following the main character, Lucy. We are luck yo see her the two choices she makes and how different her lives are.

I loved how the author linked the two narratives not just with Lucy and the two men, Max and Caleb, but via her friends and family.

I couldn't tell how the book was going to go, I read it super quick and had to read huge chucks of the book daily, to fire me to the end.

Loved it. I would love to read more from this writer.
The ‘Sliding Doors’ style story always appeal to me, that’s why I was excited to get into this one.

It was well written and pretty easy to read.  Some parts felt a bit too slow for my personal preference and I have to admit the middle became a bit of a slog - it lost me a little bit. This may have also been to do with the chapter lengths - they were quite long.

Lucy was a really well written character and I liked seeing both sides to the story - both LI’s completely flawed and loveable at the same time. The concept worked quite well but something just didn’t click for me.

On the whole, if you enjoy a contemporary novel on the whole ‘what might have been’ trope - this one is definitely for you.
This was a brilliantly easy read. I liked the sliding doors premise of how the decisions you make can have a huge effect on the direction your life takes. I found the characters were funny and likeable. I would read another Holly Miller.
Absolutely gorgeous read which has left me crying. This is beautiful in everyway and I need more. I have devoured this in just one sitting.
Not my usual read, however I thoroughly enjoyed this one, A great read and I absolutely loved the dual storyline it flowed well and I thought the sliding doors appeal was something I would definitely like to read again. My first Holly muller and not my last !
As a rule I usually like reading dual time line books. This one however,I did have difficulty and issues with.i found the pace if this book very slow and hard going.
The storylines weren't too bad.
I absolutely adored this book. I loved that it was written as two parts, one part written as Lucy staying in her home town and doing one job and the other part of her leaving and starting a different job. Both scenarios involve different men and follow different paths that do meet along the way and intertwine. I loved all the characters and how it covered family, friendships and fall outs. It has all the feels and it did make me cry. Such a wonderful book.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book. I have chosen to write this honest review voluntarily.
I won't reproduce the blurb here, suffice to say there is a 'sliding doors' situation where Lucy has a choice to make and lucky readers are given details of how both paths work out. Along the way are beautiful, prosaic descriptions of emotions and some heart-rending scenarios that show life is never completely easy, whatever we do. At the heart of the book is the idea of one soulmate, which I believe in whole-heartedly, but you might disagree or even change your mind after reading this clever fictional creation. The reader is presented with 2 stories, with facts and events which appear in both, clearly differentiated by 'stay' or 'go' segments. If I had one criticism it would be that the story is spread over about 3 years, sometimes with a gap of 6 months, and I would have found it helpful to be given a month and year to indicate the lapse of time.
I'm now going to sign up to follow this author!