What Might Have Been

the stunning new novel from the bestselling author of The Sight of You

Pub Date 3 Mar 2022 | Archive Date 3 Mar 2022

Talking about this book? Use #WhatMightHaveBeen #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

THE UNFORGETTABLE NEW NOVEL FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF THE SIGHT OF YOU

Is Lucy's life 'meant to be' . . . or meant to be different?

Lucy's life is at a crossroads. She's just walked out of her unrewarding job and has no idea about her next step: use her savings to pursue her dream of becoming a writer, or move to London to try and revive her career? It almost seems like fate that on that same night she meets Caleb, a stranger in a bar, and runs into Max, the one-time love of her life.

Should Lucy stay in the seaside town she grew up in, and in doing so, get to know Caleb better? Or should she go to London and reconnect with Max again after he broke her heart a decade ago? It's just one decision - but sometimes one decision can change the course of your whole life . . .

WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN is a sweeping and unforgettable novel for anyone who has ever believed in destiny and soulmates - or paused to wonder what your life might look like if you'd made a different choice.

Praise for Holly Miller!

'Unique and breathtaking' - Jodi Picoult
'Clever, poignant and very special' - Woman & Home
'Extraordinary' - Beth O'Leary
'A heartrending, beautifully crafted emotional rollercoaster' Mike Gayle
'A gorgeous, unusual love story' Good Housekeeping

THE UNFORGETTABLE NEW NOVEL FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF THE SIGHT OF YOU

Is Lucy's life 'meant to be' . . . or meant to be different?

Lucy's life is at a crossroads. She's just walked out of her...

This is such a wonderful. joyous story full of love, romance and drama and really strong characters. Loved every minute of it even when I was crying. Fabulous and such a different way of telling a story.

I have read a LOT of books but I don’t think I’ve read one with such a clever idea of telling two different outcomes of the story, but which is still so clear to follow. It was so interesting seeing how Lucy, Tash. Caleb & Max’s life events played out in different and yet sometimes similar ways depending on whether Lucy had “stayed” or “gone”. It was genuinely so cleverly written and I was absolutely hooked by both storylines and the authentic and realistic characters. Would absolutely recommend!

A chance meeting in the local pub after walking out of her job leads Lucy to striking up a conversation with Caleb, but the conversation is cut short when she sees her old University boyfriend Max. The story follows two tales the one where she leaves home and rekindles her romance with Max and the other where she stays and romance starts between her and Caleb. An engrossing and emotive story.

This book took many unexpected twists which meant I was unable to put it down. It was heart wrenching, beautiful, funny and the characters were so engaging that I was sad the book ended. It’s not often a book like this surprises you but this one did in the most wonderful way. Thank you netgalley for access to this book. I will be recommending this to all of my friends.

Absolutely loved What Might Have Been. Lucy is given a choice of whether to stay where she is and follow her dream of writing a book or move to London and get back with her ex love, Max. The book explores what happens whether she decides to stay or go. It is brilliantly written, hard to put down and I found myself loving both of her lives so much that I didn’t know which I wanted her to have done, although it seems ultimately that choice is made for her. Caleb & Max are both such good men which is refreshing to read and all of the characters, perhaps bar Simon, are very likeable. Highly recommend this book! Best I’ve read in a while. 10/10!

What Might Have Been is one of my very favorite reads! I love stories that have a what if vibe to them and thus one was perfection. I was so curious to see what direction Lucy was going to go, Holly did such a good job building both sides of the coin so it really made it hard for readers to determine which path she was ultimately going to take. A must read! One of my absolute favorites for sure. I will definitely be reading and anticipating Hollys next book. Premise The Two Lives of Lydia Bird meets This Time Next Year in a sliding-doors style romance and coming-to-self story about fate, chance, and the choices we make. What if “meant to be” happened twice? Lucy is at a crossroads. The same night she quits her thankless job she meets Caleb, a local photographer in her seaside town, and has a run-in with Max—the once love of her life. As Lucy decides the right path forward—finally pursue her dream of becoming a writer, or move to London and revive her career—her choice will change her life in unimaginable ways. Stay. After a decade of trying to run from her dream, Lucy is finally facing her fears and putting pen to page. With her budding romance with handsome, artistic Caleb, she has more inspiration now than ever. But can Lucy and Caleb open themselves up after their past heartbreaks? And will their different paths take them to the same place? Go. Lucy can’t believe her luck when a room in her best friend’s London house share opens up and she lands a job at the prestigious Supernova. It gives her the courage to face Max, who’s serendipitous encounter still has her reeling, and ask what really happened almost a decade ago? But does she really want to know, when being together feels like fate? In concurrent storylines that track what would have happened if Lucy chose to Stay or Go, What Might Have Been is a sweeping story that poses the questions: is it destiny or chance that decides who we are meant to be, and who we are meant to love? And is there such a thing as a soul mate?

I really enjoyed this book & will recommend it to others. Thanks for the opportunity to read & review this book.

After reading Holly's first book, when I saw her name on Netgalley I simply had to request this. I was thrilled when I got accepted and and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I adored Holly’s first book, and this didn’t disappoint in the slightest! The 2 timelines flowed perfectly and it was easy to follow. Holly is definitely one to watch! I can’t wait to read more from her.

I absolutely adored Holly Miller's first book 'The Sight of You' and so was delighted to get my hands on an ARC of 'What Might Have Been' thanks to Netgalley. This story follows the life of Lucy who is destined to meet her soulmate one day after quitting her job. The question is which of the two guys she meets is the one? I love the exploration of the ideas of fate and destiny - whether what's meant to be will always find a way to be or whether the choices we make really do affect the paths of our lives. Even if you're not a believer in the concept of soulmates you'll still be drawn in by the two different roads Lucy's life takes based on the decision she makes on that one particular day. Like her first book, Miller's writing is very emotive and her characters have great depth so have your tissues at hand. I particularly enjoyed mentions of events and meetings that happened in both timelines and that those characters still ended up happy. What's meant for you won't pass you by - I'm so glad this book hasn't passed me by and I hope it doesn't pass you by either.

I didn’t realise I had read the author’s debut, The Sight of You, which was a sweet albeit predictable read. This one is just as cloyingly sweet, but surprisingly I enjoyed it tremendously. I preferred this one more as it was surprising and had some twists. This was the perfect escapist read. Basically Lucy, our protagonist, reads her horoscope: she’s going to meet her soulmate tonight. And low and behold in one night she flirts with a handsome stranger and bumps into her ex. Who will she choose? In Sliding Door style we follow both narratives. I like the way the two narratives aligned, touching on the same incidents that occur in both narratives, regardless of Lucy’s choice, but the circumstances are different. I enjoyed reading the different versions of how things could unfold. A tender exploration of our choices, and the many alternatives of our lives, this is a stunning read.

This is a fantastic book and the first I have read by the author. It draws you into the two parallel worlds and you wonder what will happen. It is nice to find a story with so many great characters that you really care about. I did wonder how it was going to end but even this was well thought out. A highly recommended book.

I finished What Might Have Been with tears in my eyes and a big old lump in my throat. It's so moving, so clever and so romantic. Wonderful stuff.

I’d like to thank NetGalley and Hodder and Stoughton for approving me for an ARC of this brilliant book. I recently read Holly’s debut The Sight Of You and was desperate to get my mitts on this one. Luckily so were a few of my book club friends so we ended up doing a buddy read. After enjoying Holly’s previous book so much we had high expectations. I love Holly Miller’s ability to take the question we ask ourselves most and explore in in such a beautiful way. Lets be honest there are plenty of moments when we’ve all wondered what could of been had we done things differently and that is very much the case for our main character Lucy. I loved Lucy and personally think Holly made an excellent name choice for the lead character 😉 . Aside from loving the name I felt I connected with Lucy a lot. She had such a lovely personality and the way she idolised her parent’s marriage was very reminiscent of how I felt about my grandparents marriage. The ‘sliding doors’ layout of the story was brilliant and I loved how each part left me wanting to know what happened next. There were aspects of each story that I liked and I really struggled to decide which one I preferred. If I had to choose I would say I preferred the story when she left, purely for the emotional value. I was also torn between Max and Caleb, both really lovely people, even if Max was questionable at times. Once again if I had to choose then I would say Caleb won my heart that little bit more. As with Holly’s debut this one also packs an emotional punch so be sure to get the tissues ready! By the end I was sobbing and was utterly distraught. I did cry some happy tears too though. Holly Miller has a way of drawing you in, connecting you with her beloved characters and pulling the rug out from underneath you with her powerful revelations. She is the master of heart break and I am truly excited to read anything else she writes in the future.

What Might Have Been has a unique concept, and it's something that immediately caught my attention. The story follows Lucy, who is at a crossroads in life and has to decide her future. The story begins with Lucy quitting her job at an advertising agency where she worked as a planner. She lives in Shoreley, where she grew, and her family is there too. She is drowning her sorrows at the bar when she meets an interesting guy, and they seem to click. A few minutes later, she sees her ex-boyfriend Max from the bar window walking down the street. One scenario, the go one, is where Lucy decides to go to London and work as a writer at an agency and rekindle her romance with Max. The other timeline is the one, where she stays in Shoreley. She focuses on writing a novel and starts a relationship with Caleb, the guy she met at the bar for a few minutes that day. Both the go and stay timelines run parallel to each other. The way the story is written; keeps some things the same yet different in both timelines had me glued to the book. It is really difficult to pick which timeline is better. The characters and their journeys are portrayed beautifully. Lucy is such a great central character. She is someone who has always believed in destiny, partly because of her parents' fairytale romance. Her reactions to situations in both timelines are so grounded; it isn’t dramatic. It is beautifully written with great characters; the story keeps you invested from the first chapter itself, and I couldn’t wait to find out what happens next. It is relatable, emotional, and hopeful. I loved it.

Thank you to Netgalley, Holly Miller and the publisher for a copy of this book in return for an honest review. What a cleverly written novel. Split between different characters, you see 'what might have been' should something else have happened. It's a sliding doors type romance where Lucy is at a crossroads between her university boyfriend or staying where she is after a chance encounter with Caleb in a pub, I loved the way this novel was set out and, even though it flits between sections, Holly wrote it in such a way that it was easy to stay engaged. I would definitely recommend this novel to friends or family.

I loved the what if premise - whether the choices we make can define our life’s path or if it’s fate. The characters in What Might Have Been are wonderfully engaging and the short chapters made it a fast, easy read. I laughed and cried along with Lucy, wondering what happens in each of the lives chosen allowed us to join her at the point of the crossroads in her life. Heartwarming and heartbreaking in equal measures this is another emotional one from Holly Miller.

Another fantastic read from Holly Miller. I read this with a lovely group of friends having all read The Sight of You together so we all had really high hopes for this one. Lucy faces a big decision, having walked out on her job - does she move to London & work on her career or stay at home & chase her dream of becoming a writer. What follows is a Sliding Doors-esque tale of what happens after she makes her choice. I liked one storyline a little bit more than the other but both were brilliantly written, I really loved that information revealed in one was pertinent to the other, letting the reader in on secrets that Lucy from that timeline didn't know. I also love that this doesn't come with a traditional HEA, you'll have to read it to see what I mean. My only criticism would be that I didn't cry the sobbing great big tears of The Sight of You, but I did have a few tears so tissues are recommended.

I read this for a group buddy read after we all loved reading ‘The Sight Of You’ together, by the same author.​ This one certainly lived up to those high expectations.​ It was so wonderfully woven with two timelines which crossed over so cleverly. It was highly emotional, especially towards the end but it left me thinking about life and how the choices ​we make have such a profound impact. A beautiful story (or technically two stories), with an ending which, upon reflection, I actually really loved.

I received a copy of this from Netgalley, and the publisher Hodder and Staughton in return for an honest review. Ever wondered what your life would be like if one moment had went differently? I loved this book! I laughed, I felt sad, and I cried like an absolute baby. I loved the way the book was set out, each chapter with a ‘go’ part, and a ‘stay’ part. I kept changing my mind all the way through whether I wanted the book to end on ‘go’ or ‘stay’, and both lives had amazing things happen. Lucy is lush and deserves so much happiness. Max is amazing… but so is Caleb… see my problem lol? There were a few great characters in the story, and I really liked the story behind Lucy’s mam and dad, a proper love story. If you like romantic tear jerkers this is definitely one for you. Thanks again to Netgalley and the publisher Hodder and Staughton for my e-arc.

I absolutely loved this one!! I can assure you I would have picked this one up if I'd seen it in a bookstore, because it is very intriguing! Lucy has two choices and both choices have it's own adventures, possibilities and consequences. I love how the author has written the book! This is the first time I'm reading a book that explores both possibilities in the main character's life. Lucy has grown up seeing her parents who have forever been in love. I love how Lucy grows to be a confident woman who believes in herself and how she becomes more stronger over the course of the book. Sometimes I found it a little confusing because the book is elaborate and I forgot what happens where, but in the end I loved how it all turned out. It was a bittersweet yet beautiful ending. Recommended to everyone who wants to try something new and awesome and are in for a sweet romantic story. 5/5 read for me!!

This is such a well written story, all about how 1 decision can completely alter your life. Our heroine has to choose between 2 men; 1 new and one old, and which she chooses sends her down different paths. It was nice to be able to see both stories side by side so you could follow the time line, and it was also interesting to see how her initial decision about which man, also had a butterfly affect on decisions in her family's lives. This was a heartbreaking story but so well told that you just didn't want it to end