Cover Image: The Perfume Companion

The Perfume Companion

The Perfect Perfume Companion…
The perfect perfume companion, skilfully compiled by experts in the field. Whether scents you know well or not, there’s something of interest for every perfume lover here. Written in an informative yet very readable fashion this is a definitive guide, nicely illustrated.
Sarah McCartney is a well known indie perfumer in London and Samantha Scriven is a fragrance blogger and has worked in the industry. Together these two have written the definitive book of the year on perfume.

The book is a primer on perfume, with a little history, a little about the industry, but in easily digestible bits and not too much detail. Then they delve into each perfume sub-group and give a few classic scents in each group. For the person not so familiar with perfume, you would be able to walk away with some suggestions of perfumes to sample in each group. I particularly enjoyed the reviews for each perfume, and even though I am a person who is very well versed with perfume, I found several that I want to try that I've missed along the way.

The charm of this book is that it is easily read, not too long, but full of information. It would make a great gift for anyone who has a general interest in perfume. I heartily enjoyed reading these two knowledgeable lady's thoughts!

Thank you the NetGally, the authors, and White Lion Publishing and the Quarto Group for allowing me to ready this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The Perfume Companion by Sarah McCartney & Samantha Scriven is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-September.

Having already found a comfy place with trees and grass as my signature scent, I nonetheless wanted to know about the other many scent profiles out there (i.e. the illusive Oud, Soliflores, and Gourmand subtypes), as well as the long history of perfumes and colognes, how we smell/how the nose works, and the perfumes on the market now that specifically embody the scent subtypes with their prices and author’s descriptions. I hadn’t quite expected it to offer so little in the way of teaching and more in the sense of product lists.
This book is a good tool for anyone who is interested in understand the complexity of scent.  The book is filled with many perfumes that are easily available and helps you understand the notes, the harmony and the magic of perfume.

I took a perfume course once and found myself questioning everything I smelled.  Was it fruity, woodsy, spicy, etc.  After awhile I got the hang of it and grew more confident, being able to differentiate and determine multiple layers of a scent.  If I had had this book back then, it might have helped, as I could work with some perfumes I have and understand what else I was smelling at the base, top and in the middle.  Having this book then, would have been a great help to me getting started.
Ok, so finally opened this copy.. It is hard to review on the Shelf app, it looks a bit clumsy on the phone. Anyway, I do not understand how this became a book per see. It is book of reviews. Basenotes and Fragantica does that all the time - in fact the book thanks them, and various sources for the information. The history and common questions are a Google away. In fact, if this can be a book then dear publisher let us get in touch and make this a book too : https://styleuphq.com/
This is a wonderful and informative book that gives an overview of perfumes, the history behind them, a bit of what goes into them, and a slew of current-day examples, with pictures of the bottles, for the various types of scents. This would make for a great coffee table book or gift to anyone who has a beginner's interest in perfumes.

Thank you to NetGalley, Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion, and the authors for this advanced readers copy ebook in exchange for my honest review.
This is a great little book for an overview of perfumes and what is essential a review of current perfumes on the market. It also contains a *very brief* look at the history of and differences between different types of perfumes, what scent types there are, and how to go about looking for a perfume for yourself.

I was given a free copy of the e-book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
First things first, this book is stunning! Beautiful bold colors & shapes, as well as full color pictures of each bottle. The categories helped me narrow down my choices, and all the fun facts and extensive background on perfume are the cherry on top. I am always drawn to fruity scents so I immediately went for that category. So many of my favorites listed, and I discovered some new scents to try out. Love the way the scents are broken up and I also love that there are a variety of prices, from high end to Avon’s signature scent. This would make a lovely coffee table book or gift. Five stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion for an advanced ebook in exchange for my honest review.
I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

I’ve been a collector of perfumes and fragrances off and on for almost 20 years. This book definitely called to me, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this book would appeal to not only someone who isn’t new to the scent world, but also a beginner as well! There is plenty of history of perfume, types of scent, etc, but concise enough to not overwhelm the book for someone who is already familiar with these topics. I even learned a few terms that were new to me.

The catalog of fragrances is more diverse than previous fragrance books I’ve read, as there were both familiar fragrance houses (department store and celebrity) and niche perfumers listed, which I loved. I immediately pulled up my Fragrantica account and added a few scents I’m interested in trying out that I had never heard of! I also agreed with many of their short but story-telling descriptions of fragrances I’ve bought or tried on in the past.

This book would make a great gift to any perfume lover, or for someone who is generally interested in learning what types of fragrances might work well for them. 5/5 stars from this fragrance addict.
This is a lovely book a guide to Rhee world of perfumes. A guide to the world of perfume a beautiful book that would be perfect to display and enjoy.Would make a wonderful gift.#netgalley#quatrobooks
Date reviewed/posted: August 12, 2021
Publication date: November 23, 2021

Little annoys me more than scent-free zones... they seem to draw in people who need to bathe. Seriously.

This is a beautiful book that I am buying for myself as I am a scent-ho. Scents remind me of so many things: I have a specific perfume for when we go to Cape May/Atlantic City and just smelling it reminds me that eventually the borders will open and we can get back there.  And I am always in search of a new one ... especially if they smell like food and sweets. (YSL Black Opium is my current favourite and Angel reminds me of a person who endlessly complained about the smell of perfume, nail polish (she swore she could smell it two days after application), cologne, aftershave, etc. etc. and who was such a heavy smoker and I could not get within 15 feet of her without gagging.)

This guide will get me adding more and more scents to my arsenal (I have a whole fridge shelf of scents as I change them as my mood does ... today I am wearing Sud Pacifique Blackberry Vanilla as it is summer and too hot/humid/sweaty and as much as I want to bake today, it is not happening.

The photos are gorgeous, the ideas wonderful and I cannot wait to hit Sephora with this guide and find something new. But, as I know, keep in mind, no matter how yummy it may smell on someone else, it may smell like gopher pee on you...I am thinking of you, Calvin Klein eternity!  I just wish that the book had been available on Kindle as it was very difficult to read via pdf on my phone (via both Aldiko and Netgalley Shelf) - my Kindle refuses to accept .pdf files.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 💄💄💄💄💄
My Recommendation ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

“The Perfume Companion”
by Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven

A History of Wearing Scents—From Cavemen to Cleopatra to the Common Era

History and legends are full of smells, essences and fragrances, as is our life today, extoll Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven in their new compendium, “The Perfume Companion,” an intriguing history of the world of scents and a look at some of the world’s most famous brands and the ingredients that make them unique.

Frankincense and myrrh, the Three Wise Men traveled far to bring precious ingredients still used today in perfumes to the honor the Baby Jesus.  Cleopatra rubbed exotic oils in her hair and on her body to entice Julius Caesar.  We dab our favorite scent behind our ears as an alluring note of our presence.

Why we are attracted to various fragrances, be it citrus, musk, floral notes, or woodland features, McCartney and Scriven help us understand our scent preferences in their comprehensive guide to perfumes, colognes and attars—with each explained.

With hundreds of the world's most famous perfumes listed in categories by their scent type, maker, history and descriptive notes, this a fun and engaging resource on fragrance development, usage and personal style.  This is a great book to be read, re-read and given as gift.  What a treat!

========

by Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven
Genre:  Non-Fiction  |  Health |  Mind & Body  |  Reference
Publication Date:  20 September 2021
Publisher:  Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion

My Sincere Appreciation to NetGalley, Authors Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven, and Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion for Providing this Advance Reader's Copy for Review.
With dazzling photographs, easy to read information, and helpful categories, as well as a thorough and accessible introductory, this book helped me learn more about one of my most recent hobbies: collecting perfume.

Charts, tables, and photographs add to the accessibility of the information without detracting from the content or overwhelming the reader. If I could only pick one reference manual for burgeoning perfume aficionados, this would be it.

Everything you need to know about perfume, as well as perfume examples and comparisons, all in an approachable manner.
This would make a nice book for a living room or salon where you just dip in and out for a informative and helpful encyclopaedia on perfumes. The cover needs to be more luxurious and tempting as it’s currently a dull pink with no glossy photos. With a few tweaks it would be a book every fragrance and beauty lover should get for their as a gift or just for themselves.
I read this ARC for an honest review
All thoughts and opinions are mine

Bit of a gripe first
This was not available as Mobi format so had to read this on my phone.  The lack of a bigger screen to be able to read seriously impacted my enjoyment

So that over

This is a fantastic resource
Loved the page set out and being able to read about different perfumes.  So many that I had not heard of

If you are into make up and cosmetic etc (I am) this is fascinating

I just wish I could have got a full enjoyment of reading and was so irritated what would have been a 5 star rating is 4
.. as a big perfume lover and collector myself - I do own over 300 Scents, from big Bottles to small Samples - I was curios about this book! Well, it looks the SAME like my own Notebook, where I put all my collection data in.. =) Well, almost =)

What I love is, that every perfume has its picture (hope they will be much better in the printed Book), and there are a lot of Information... BUT what I was missing, the description of the Base, Top and Heart note in a fact sheet.

For DIE-Hard Perfume Lovers a nice to see Book, which is absolutely interesting and worth to buy.

I missed a few perfumes, but I also learned a lot - another point I didn-t really like (but this is just Peanuts) - one of the Authors own Brand was also in the book - well, for me and myself this is a litlle NoNo, like Promotion! Therefor I give only 4 Stars, but overall a really good and interesting book!

Thanks for letting me read this, this is my own opinion - everybody is different =)
"The Perfume Companion" is a gorgeous compendium, packed with perfume facts and expert scent suggestions for all budgets. Would make a lovely gift.