The Perfume Companion

The Definitive Guide to Choosing Your Next Scent

Pub Date 9 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 9 Sep 2021

Talking about this book? Use #ThePerfumeCompanion #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

'An authoritative guide from two experts who really know their way around scent' – FUNMI FETTO

The Perfume Companion is a beautifully illustrated compendium of almost 500 recommended scents, designed to help you pick out your next favourite fragrance.

Perfumes have the power to evoke treasured memories, make us feel fabulous and help us express our best self. But with so many out there, how do you choose something new? When the scents in the perfume shop are merging into one aromatic haze, how do you remain focused? And if your favourite scent goes out of stock, how do you replace it? The Perfume Companion is here to help. Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven deliver a host of scents for you to try – including bargain finds and luxury treasures, iconic stalwarts and indie newcomers, the lightest florals and the deepest leathers

With insider information about how perfumes are really made, discover hundreds of new fragrances and find the scents to share your own memories with. This is the perfect companion for your scented adventures.

The Perfume Companion is a beautifully illustrated compendium of almost 500 recommended scents...

With dazzling photographs, easy to read information, and helpful categories, as well as a thorough and accessible introductory, this book helped me learn more about one of my most recent hobbies: collecting perfume. Charts, tables, and photographs add to the accessibility of the information without detracting from the content or overwhelming the reader. If I could only pick one reference manual for burgeoning perfume aficionados, this would be it. Everything you need to know about perfume, as well as perfume examples and comparisons, all in an approachable manner.

My Recommendation ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “The Perfume Companion” by Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven A History of Wearing Scents—From Cavemen to Cleopatra to the Common Era History and legends are full of smells, essences and fragrances, as is our life today, extoll Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven in their new compendium, “The Perfume Companion,” an intriguing history of the world of scents and a look at some of the world’s most famous brands and the ingredients that make them unique. Frankincense and myrrh, the Three Wise Men traveled far to bring precious ingredients still used today in perfumes to the honor the Baby Jesus. Cleopatra rubbed exotic oils in her hair and on her body to entice Julius Caesar. We dab our favorite scent behind our ears as an alluring note of our presence. Why we are attracted to various fragrances, be it citrus, musk, floral notes, or woodland features, McCartney and Scriven help us understand our scent preferences in their comprehensive guide to perfumes, colognes and attars—with each explained. With hundreds of the world's most famous perfumes listed in categories by their scent type, maker, history and descriptive notes, this a fun and engaging resource on fragrance development, usage and personal style. This is a great book to be read, re-read and given as gift. What a treat! ======== The Book Maven’s Journal—Reviews for Word Connoisseurs REVIEWER: J. Hunt STAR RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “The Perfume Companion” by Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven Genre: Non-Fiction | Health | Mind & Body | Reference Publication Date: 20 September 2021 Publisher: Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion My Sincere Appreciation to NetGalley, Authors Sarah McCartney and Samantha Scriven, and Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion for Providing this Advance Reader's Copy for Review.

I read this ARC for an honest review All thoughts and opinions are mine Bit of a gripe first This was not available as Mobi format so had to read this on my phone. The lack of a bigger screen to be able to read seriously impacted my enjoyment So that over This is a fantastic resource Loved the page set out and being able to read about different perfumes. So many that I had not heard of If you are into make up and cosmetic etc (I am) this is fascinating I just wish I could have got a full enjoyment of reading and was so irritated what would have been a 5 star rating is 4

This would make a nice book for a living room or salon where you just dip in and out for a informative and helpful encyclopaedia on perfumes. The cover needs to be more luxurious and tempting as it’s currently a dull pink with no glossy photos. With a few tweaks it would be a book every fragrance and beauty lover should get for their as a gift or just for themselves.

.. as a big perfume lover and collector myself - I do own over 300 Scents, from big Bottles to small Samples - I was curios about this book! Well, it looks the SAME like my own Notebook, where I put all my collection data in.. =) Well, almost =) What I love is, that every perfume has its picture (hope they will be much better in the printed Book), and there are a lot of Information... BUT what I was missing, the description of the Base, Top and Heart note in a fact sheet. For DIE-Hard Perfume Lovers a nice to see Book, which is absolutely interesting and worth to buy. I missed a few perfumes, but I also learned a lot - another point I didn-t really like (but this is just Peanuts) - one of the Authors own Brand was also in the book - well, for me and myself this is a litlle NoNo, like Promotion! Therefor I give only 4 Stars, but overall a really good and interesting book! Thanks for letting me read this, this is my own opinion - everybody is different =)

"The Perfume Companion" is a gorgeous compendium, packed with perfume facts and expert scent suggestions for all budgets. Would make a lovely gift.

I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I’ve been a collector of perfumes and fragrances off and on for almost 20 years. This book definitely called to me, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this book would appeal to not only someone who isn’t new to the scent world, but also a beginner as well! There is plenty of history of perfume, types of scent, etc, but concise enough to not overwhelm the book for someone who is already familiar with these topics. I even learned a few terms that were new to me. The catalog of fragrances is more diverse than previous fragrance books I’ve read, as there were both familiar fragrance houses (department store and celebrity) and niche perfumers listed, which I loved. I immediately pulled up my Fragrantica account and added a few scents I’m interested in trying out that I had never heard of! I also agreed with many of their short but story-telling descriptions of fragrances I’ve bought or tried on in the past. This book would make a great gift to any perfume lover, or for someone who is generally interested in learning what types of fragrances might work well for them. 5/5 stars from this fragrance addict.

This is a lovely book a guide to Rhee world of perfumes. A guide to the world of perfume a beautiful book that would be perfect to display and enjoy.Would make a wonderful gift.#netgalley#quatrobooks

Date reviewed/posted: August 12, 2021 Publication date: November 23, 2021 Little annoys me more than scent-free zones... they seem to draw in people who need to bathe. Seriously. This is a beautiful book that I am buying for myself as I am a scent-ho. Scents remind me of so many things: I have a specific perfume for when we go to Cape May/Atlantic City and just smelling it reminds me that eventually the borders will open and we can get back there. And I am always in search of a new one ... especially if they smell like food and sweets. (YSL Black Opium is my current favourite and Angel reminds me of a person who endlessly complained about the smell of perfume, nail polish (she swore she could smell it two days after application), cologne, aftershave, etc. etc. and who was such a heavy smoker and I could not get within 15 feet of her without gagging.) This guide will get me adding more and more scents to my arsenal (I have a whole fridge shelf of scents as I change them as my mood does ... today I am wearing Sud Pacifique Blackberry Vanilla as it is summer and too hot/humid/sweaty and as much as I want to bake today, it is not happening. The photos are gorgeous, the ideas wonderful and I cannot wait to hit Sephora with this guide and find something new. But, as I know, keep in mind, no matter how yummy it may smell on someone else, it may smell like gopher pee on you...I am thinking of you, Calvin Klein eternity! I just wish that the book had been available on Kindle as it was very difficult to read via pdf on my phone (via both Aldiko and Netgalley Shelf) - my Kindle refuses to accept .pdf files. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 💄💄💄💄💄

First things first, this book is stunning! Beautiful bold colors & shapes, as well as full color pictures of each bottle. The categories helped me narrow down my choices, and all the fun facts and extensive background on perfume are the cherry on top. I am always drawn to fruity scents so I immediately went for that category. So many of my favorites listed, and I discovered some new scents to try out. Love the way the scents are broken up and I also love that there are a variety of prices, from high end to Avon’s signature scent. This would make a lovely coffee table book or gift. Five stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion for an advanced ebook in exchange for my honest review.

This is a great little book for an overview of perfumes and what is essential a review of current perfumes on the market. It also contains a *very brief* look at the history of and differences between different types of perfumes, what scent types there are, and how to go about looking for a perfume for yourself. I was given a free copy of the e-book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wonderful and informative book that gives an overview of perfumes, the history behind them, a bit of what goes into them, and a slew of current-day examples, with pictures of the bottles, for the various types of scents. This would make for a great coffee table book or gift to anyone who has a beginner's interest in perfumes. Thank you to NetGalley, Quarto Publishing Group – White Lion, and the authors for this advanced readers copy ebook in exchange for my honest review.

This book is a good tool for anyone who is interested in understand the complexity of scent. The book is filled with many perfumes that are easily available and helps you understand the notes, the harmony and the magic of perfume. I took a perfume course once and found myself questioning everything I smelled. Was it fruity, woodsy, spicy, etc. After awhile I got the hang of it and grew more confident, being able to differentiate and determine multiple layers of a scent. If I had had this book back then, it might have helped, as I could work with some perfumes I have and understand what else I was smelling at the base, top and in the middle. Having this book then, would have been a great help to me getting started.