Cover Image: Beef It Up!

Beef It Up!

What a wonderful resource for all things beef!  This well-written and researched book takes you from knowing what to look for in a good cut of beef to knowing which cut to use in your cooking to how to prepare many mouthwatering dishes. There is a lot of information that is well presented, easy to understand, and accompanied by beautiful photos and some terrific artwork as well.  Really well done book ... pun intended!
This lovely cookbook is set to release next year thanks to Netgalley I had the chance to read it early in exchange for an unbiased review.
Let's start by saying this book is absolutely great and I can't wait for the physical release to add it to my collection.
The recipes are easy to follow along, I loved the introduction to the different cuts of meat. I'm not huge on eating beef because I often don't know what to do with it. But this is informative and very easy to follow. The illustrations and photos are lovely!
Thank you to @netgalley and publisher for this free eARC.
In one word this cookbook is - AMAZING!!!
From the first pages it is great - it leads you from the basics like what do you call each part of the meat, how to store it, how to cook it, etc...
The recipes are really good and they are explained very well. I can't wait to try them.
My praise for this cookbook.
This is a nice cookbook. The recipes look easy to make and the photos are mouthwatering. I was expecting more steaks and beef recipes. There are some beef salads, burgers, soups, and a few steaks. I received a free digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
This is a great cookbook if you have a ton of beef in your freezer and you aren't sure what to make out of it.
I don't know about you but I get in a rut planning and cooking meals.  This book if full of all kinds of new beef recipes to jazz up your weekday meals.
The cookbook starts with some informative features.  There are pictures that show you the difference between Prime, Choice and Select cuts of meat.  That was very helpful. There's charts of the different cuts of meat and how they are used along with optimal cooking methods. And the most mystifying chart of all; degrees of doneness as well as internal temperature.
Now to the food!  There are recipes for everything from appetizers to full meals.  Included in the recipes are how to cook in an air fryer if possible and freezing options. Soups look wonderful from cheeseburger to Italian meatball to beef and barley.  Something for everyone. Then the main attractions, Shepherd's pie mac and cheese an interesting twist of two classics. Then the other classics of meatloaf, pot roast, and fajitas.
Beef It Up! by Jessica Formicola is more than just your average cookbook, it features a lot of information about cuts of beef, how to cook it, defrosting and much more. The recipes a look really tasty and easy to follow. There is also a converter at the end of the book for anyone outside the US which is massively helpful.
Oh my god! This book is perfect!!!!I loved this book!!!

I love how informative this book is - I learnt a lot about the different cuts of beef, and how best to cook them/season them as well as all the delicious recipes!
The photography is stunning! The recipes are gorgeous!
I hold nothing against vegans or vegetarians, but this book is such a celebration of meat - it's so nice to see when it seems a lot of people are very anti-meat these days.
So inspiring, so informative, and so gorgeous!

Loved this!
We eat a lot of beef in my home; it’s everyone’s favorite. We try to get creative and try new things, but often fall into a routine. Let’s be honest, it is not the cheapest option for a meal. I feel empowered and encourage after reading Beef it Up! by Jessica Formicola. She does a great job of explaining how to cook beef and all the various cuts. She shows how simple and easy many of the dishes are and takes out the intimidation factor based on her own shared experiences. The recipes are mouthwatering and the photos due a stunning job of capturing the culinary delights waiting to be placed on your own dinner table.
I will make sure a copy of this takes up permanent residence in my kitchen library.
I received an advanced copy from the publisher via NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own, freely given.
I expected a cookbook to inspire me with new beef-focused recipes. Instead, this book is a much more informative experience. There are not just recipes for new beef dishes, many of which are delicious, but also advice on which cut of beef to use and how to cook the perfect steak.

This is a must have for any meat-eating kitchen.
This is much more than a book about beefy recipes, it's an educational experience. Tons of information about the various cuts of beef, how to cook.properly and of course tons of recipes ranging from humble hand lies to the fanciest steaks. A great addition to any kitchen!
This is a book I’ve been waiting for. Not just a cookbook. This is a useful guide to beef. What cuts to use and how best to cook. Certainly a staple cookbook.
Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to see an arc
Delish.. some of these sound amazing. i have book  marked a few to make for a bbq this weekend. I cannot wait to see how i fair!
OK, I'll say it – I don't think you can have much beef with these pages.  Or rather, you can, for that's the prevalent ingredient in everything, from the soups and starters to the mains, the salads and the ice creams.  Oh, no, there are no ice creams.  We start with a most suitable round-up of the joint types, the techniques, the temperatures and the food safety stuff, and then crack on.  Now, having not only the recipe with ingredients and every step made most clear, but also a swap-out advice or other tip, AND a lengthy talky bit about each dish does make the recipe page look a bit busy, but generally everything fits on to one side.  It's noticeable that just when you think you'll get a full-page photo for every dish, that rule is broken towards the end of the chapters, when you presumably get to the lesser courses.

Which might come as a bit of a surprise when you see that you haven't really got that many soups, only a few starters, and a handful of salads.  For a one-ingredient book this didn't seem to be nearly as comprehensive as it might have been.  That said, there is certainly a variety in the mains to keep coming to these pages for a good few months (considering beef will only be something you splash out on once a week, if that).  The author promises life-changing pan-fried steaks, and nothing less than "the perfect burger", so you can tell this is sold to us with great conviction.  For want of trying any of the dishes, I still saw a most helpful book, which kept its friendly authority throughout.
This was okay really for the beef lovers - I did find it interesting the various types of cuts as in all my years never really knew about them.

There were some interesting recipes there that i have tried.  All in all a good cookbook - some recipes that I loved and some not so much but that is the joy of a cook book.

I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.
Thank you to the publisher and author for the chance to read this cookbook in exchange for honest feedback. As the title suggests, this cooking guide is centered on beef. It includes chapters on basic/foundational knowledge about beef (prep, types, storage/handling, etc) and different ways to eat it such as "small bites", stews/chillis, salads, main dishes, handhelds, etc. After these main sections, there are recipes for sauces that pair with beef dishes.

Throughout the cooking guide, there are plenty of modern designs/graphics, high quality photographs, and interesting layouts depicting key information. Importantly, the text is straightforward, easy to follow/understand, and communicates the most critical information without fluff or "dumbing it down".

The recipes sometimes include alternative methods (such as using an air fryer) or additional tips/cook's notes. Many of the dishes seem straightforward, while some are bit new even to me as someone who likes to cook. For the most part, many of the ingredients are commonplace and thus offer a new/refreshing way to present them.

Ultimately, I think this cookbook is a nice collection of beef-related recipes. It would be a good gift to someone who is starting out cooking on their own or perhaps looking to cook for a family. Otherwise, it may seem that these recipes are a bit common for the experienced cook. Either way, it does its job and I'd personally like to own it for my own purposes.
While beef has gotten a bad reputation over the years, it’s still delicious, and millions choose to eat it regularly. It’s always nice to have some good, new recipes for preparing it, and Jessica Formicola has outdone herself in her cookbook, Beef It Up!: 50 Mouthwatering Recipes for Ground Beef, Steaks, Stews, Roasts, Ribs, and More. While the cookbook includes only 50 recipes, those 50 recipes are ones that real people actually will want to make. They are dishes that will appeal to both adults and children, as well as picky eaters.

The recipes are written in the traditional way, and are succinct and easy-to-follow. Beginning cooks to advanced cooks will all be able to prepare these dishes and they will turn out picture perfect. Most of the recipes are also photographed beautifully, and there are delightful illustrations throughout.

The recipes are not touted as quick and easy, but many are, and there are basics such as cooking a juicy hamburger, or a perfect steak with different compound butters. There are also casseroles, one pan dishes, soups, and mouthwatering salads, all using beef in different forms. In the beginning pages, the author has included important information on where different cuts of beef come from, basic kitchen equipment needed, and basics on choosing and storing beef. This is a perfect cookbook to learn everything that is needed to cook beef.

This is an excellent cookbook to add to any cookbook collection and will be used often.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
Positively Beefy. What a great book about beef.

This is the bible of beef with information on how to buy, store, defrost, cook. What to look for and so much more. And by more I mean recipes. If you love beef then this is the cookbook for you.

There is a recipe for everything, the photos small but perfectly fine so you can imagine what your food should look like. The recipes are tasty, easy and everyone who likes meat will love them.

Great book, highly recommend for the beginner and the seasoned cook alike.
Publication date: March 8, 2022

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review an advanced reader's copy of this book. This in no way affects my review, all opinions are my own.

I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!

Where’s the beef? It’s on the dinner table tonight! This focused collection of recipes offers 50 tasty ways to serve up protein-rich beef meals without a lot of fuss. Flavorful beef suppers (Cheeseburger Soup, Shepard’s Pie Mac & Cheese) are featuring along with new classics (Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas, 20-Minute Mongolian-style Beef ), salads (Southwest Steak Salad w/ Chipotle Ranch and Steakhouse Salad w/ Blue Cheese), quick hits (Empanada Hand Pies and Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce), and the tried-and-true burgers, steaks, and Chilli con Carne. Juicy photos provide the inspiration and confidence cooks of all levels need to deliver on the promise of a great meal every time.

I am not a huge beef eater beyond ground beef as I have problems digesting it - but I can make many of these recipes with chicken or turkey in solid or ground form with a little recipe juggling. The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there. I live for burgers so it was a great help  in mixing up the ingredients in these recipes alone.

I especially love the book because it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods.  My husband says that I never have any food in the house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!)

THIS IS THE PERFECT BOOK FOR A NEW COOK OR A TEEN TO LEARN TO COOK FROM - Remember, seriously, that one of the best gifts that you can give your children is TEACHING THEM HOW TO COOK!!!  They will save thousands of dollars on take-out and delivery while at college and after ... there are a lot of kids who go through their food budget at college in two months - I used to hear this all the time when I worked in OSAP/Financial Aid (and if you add up all the money spent on delivery over the years one could easily afford a down payment on a house!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥩🥩🥩🥩
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is an interesting book.

While there aren't a lot of pictures of recipes which I normally enjoy, there is a lot of information in this book. There's a lot about cuts of meat, what they're used for, how to store it, and more. The recipes range from stews to sandwiches and everything in between.

It focuses on beef and lots of recipes that can be made with red meat. Overall an interesting read that can help beginning cooks.