Cover Image: The Reaper's Quota

The Reaper's Quota

The humour in the book is amazing. The sarcastic sense of humour from Reaper #2497 really shows the extent to which his humanity is still present and had me laughing at some many points.
I read this in 2 days and it was so enjoyable. The cliff-hanger has made me so excited for a sequel
I received this kindle book as an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Grim Reaper #2497 (a.k.a. Steve) doesn't like being a reaper very much. He only got the gig because he killed his business partner and then died decades later in Prison -- see, if you kill someone, whether accidentally or otherwise, you spend your eternal afterlife reaping the souls of other people, until your bones get so old they literally turn to dust.

Steve fulfills his assignments (terminally ill people or other people slated to die) reluctantly, but he hates having to meet his "random death" quota a.k.a the 30 random people that he has to kill, some of whom, without Steve's intervention, would have had long lives ahead of them. Since he hasn't been fulfilling his quota lately, he is called in front of the Big Boss and told that he has to randomly kill 30 people in 3 days, otherwise Steve will be executed. The book is basically about Steve going about this grim tasks.

I really loved "The Office" or "Office Space" feel of this book -- but instead of TP Reports, there are Random Death quotas. The reapers stand around the office water cooler "drinking" their Elixir (which they can't really drink because the reapers are literally just walking skeletons) and talking shop. Some reapers are sadistic, some are over achievers, and some, like Steve, do the bare minimum with a modicum of effort. Sitting above the minions, making sure the work is carried out, is the nasty boss with a bad attitude ready to drop the hammer at any moment.

How Steve orchestrates his random kills is borderline ridiculous, which brings some levity into what otherwise would be a somber set of circumstances. Despite the humor, however, it does get rather tedious after a while and I would have liked to have more substance to the story, which is why I'm only giving the book 4 stars instead of 5. The book is 90% focused on the background story of the people that Steve kills and the description of how they die and 10% focused on bringing Steve's story forward. The book ended with a cliffhanger, which I presume will pick up in a sequel -- though I think that the book was short enough that it could have been continued as a Part 2 to the same book.

If you're in the mood for something short and light, then this book is for you!
The Reaper's Quota is an original, sarcastic and enjoyable read. I was drawn to its unique plot of Grim Reaper #2497, who has to meet his random death quota. Plagued by human thoughts, every execution weighs heavy on him. Sarah presents a beautiful mix of sarcasm and emotions, and I devoured this book in one sitting. The world of Grim Reapers is nothing but fascinating and spellbinding. The death reports make me giggle! The ending is a memorable cliffhanger, and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. A 5-star read all the way!

Thank you to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for an ARC. This honest review is left voluntarily.
This was a fun ride along with the main Reaper.
He just can't stop trying to figure out what his life was like before he died.

The fun qualifications to become a reaper after you die is that you had to have killed someone.
Either on purpose or on accident. no forgiveness.
You are assigned daily quotas and have to complete random death quotas as well.
All Reapers looks exactly the same: skeleton with scythe

you better be a good time keeper after you die
no body has missed a quota yet, so it is unknown what will happen
The premise of the story is what got me first interested in reading- reapers are just like anybody else; they have jobs and quotas to fill! I liked how the story flowed with our main character reaper being reprimanded for not meeting his month's quota. It was interesting to see how the random death's were chosen, and I thought the reports he had to fill out were hilarious. During this, the main subplot of him longing to be human again and wondering how to make that happen was genius! And the added element of a human woman he could actually talk to brought a hint of romance (and I didn't see it coming). I was on the edge of my seat wondering if he'd meet his quota, and if we would find out if he turned human, or found out how to. This book leaves us with a cliff-hanger and open-ended, and I saw that there is a sequel. I will for sure be checking out the sequel. I think this book would make a great comedic television show someday (in the vein of The Good Place), and it was a great palette cleanser for a horror fan (dark, but not too dark)!
I absolutely loved the dark humor in this book. It is a gory and gruesome story, so please be aware of that before picking it up, but a stunning story on how precious life is.
The Reaper's Quota is brillant!

Who thought that a Reaper would have a quota?  Well they do!

This novel is a great take on what happens when death is at your door, but also, what and who is a Reaper.

A Reaper is a person who committed murder while still living.  Upon their death they become Reapers.  All memory of who they were before death is erased, or is it?

Reapers  have rules they have to abide by and meet their quotas or else.... Oh and they also have a boss!

This novel follows Steve, a Reaper on his quest to meet his quota or meet his demise.  Steve doesn't enjoy taking life and has to make the decision to kill or be killed.

A very heart felt novel focusing on the anguish of whose life to take while judging yourself doing it.  A down to earth novel that will have you turning the pages and the ending will leaving you hanging!

Ready for book 2

A creative, well written novel that had me laughing and tearing up.  The cliff hangar at the end had me wanting more!  Genius!

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for making this review possible!
This was a fun and unique novella following Grim Reaper #2947 struggling with his humanity and fulfilling his role as a Reaper.

After reading some pretty heavy books recently it was nice to change it up with some dark humour and a shorter book. I loved the premise and found it was delivered really well by McKnight.

There is a sequel that has recently been published but I find I would have preferred it as potentially a standalone as the ending was just that perfect open-ended cliffhanger. Nonetheless I'll be picking up the sequel soon!

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an eARC in return for my honest review.
The Reaper’s Quota is the first book in the Reaper Chronicles series by American author, Sarah McKnight. Grim Reaper #2497 is being pulled up by the Big Boss for not meeting his quota of Random Deaths. He’s completed his Assigned Deaths (old, sick, fatal accidents or suicides) but, with three days left in the month, still has thirty Random Deaths to do. He is solemnly reminded that Random Deaths are necessary to prevent the world from overpopulating.

Trouble is, #2497, or Steve (the name that just feels right to him), is troubled by very human feelings that seem to be absent in other Reapers. Whereas some Reapers take great pleasure in their job, Steve doesn’t enjoy taking lives at all. When he can’t avoid killing Randoms, he tries to find those that deserve it, or have only a short time left anyway. But the official warning means he has to get busy or he will be exterminated.

Being exterminated would mean he wouldn’t have to snuff out lives, but then he wouldn’t exist anymore; what he’d really like is go back to being human, to get another chance, to do it better this time. Because he thinks that last time, his wasn’t a good life, and killing his cheating business partner in a fit of anger was what made him a Reaper in the first place.

So he takes his scythe and reluctantly gets started on his quota of Randoms. During a break, another Reaper warns him that his thoughts and deeds are being monitored by the higher-ups, and a sneak peek at the files tells him he has been flagged as a problematic Reaper.

Then, while out looking for suitable Randoms, he encounters a human who can actually see him. After they each get over the shock, the chat they have is revelatory for both, and it makes Steve even more determined to find out how he can return to being human.

But then Steve breaks a Reaper Rule, intervening when another Reaper is carrying out Assigned Death tasks, something punishable by immediate extermination. But the result is totally unexpected, and has him challenging the Big Boss about their role. The Big Boss doesn’t appreciate criticism, and his next instruction reflects this.

It’s always fun to read a story with a quirky protagonist, and a Grim Reaper is certainly that. Despite being a murderer, Steve is the sort of guy you can’t help liking, or sympathising with his plight. McKnight gives him some wise words and insightful observations and, because he’s just bones, has him thinking things like “I think about biting my tongue to stop myself from saying anything more. Since I don’t have one, the words continue to spill out.”

Needless to say, the premise of the story dictates that the body count is high, with some very creative manners of death, and the cliff-hanger ending will have the reader appreciating that the sequel, Chasing The Reaper has already been published. Very entertaining!
This unbiased review is from an uncorrected proof copy provided by NetGalley and Books Go Social.
Grim Reaper #2497 (or Steve as he prefers to be called) is struggling to make his monthly quota again. He has no trouble ending the lives of those who are dying from accidents, disease or famine but it’s the random lives he has to take every month that cause him problems. He knows the Reapers must harvest extra lives to help keep population growth under control, but it’s choosing who to take that he finds difficult. He’s already been warned by the Big Boss that his days as a Reaper may be limited if he can’t overcome his human feelings (which Reapers shouldn’t have) about which lives to take.

Darkly humorous, this novella is a delightfully fun read as Reaper #2497 goes looking for those most worthy of dying early and in inventive ways. He knows he is being watched by the Big Boss but can’t help letting his human feelings influence his choices. Just be warned –after finishing this, you’ll be left wanting to immediately read the sequel.
Well that was fun. Who knew a grim reaper could have such a sense of humour!

Grim Reaper #2497, who feels like his name was Steve when he was human, is behind on his quota of 30 random deaths. Failure to complete the required number of terminations will probably result in his own termination. He has also been warned to stop thinking about whether it would be possible to revert to human.

This was an enjoyable change of pace and I chuckled quite a bit, especially when reading Steve's Random Death reports. The story is really well told and you can almost hear the reapers' bones clicking and clacking as they bustle about headquarters. The book ends in a cliffhanger and I'm looking forward to reading Book 2. This book was published in November 2021 and Book 2, Chasing the Reaper, was released recently.

My thanks to BooksGoSocial via Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Thank you to the author and NetGalley for the chance to read this book.

I really enjoyed this book and its take from the Reapers perspective.   I have always been fascinated with the Grim Reaper and immediately wanted to read this just because it was unique.

Sarah McKnight had me from page one as I learned why a Reaper became a Reaper, how each were given assignments daily, but also had quotas to meet in order to keep the qorld from becoming over populated, and also how "Steve" is starting to question being a Reaper.  I ended up caring about characters, which seems odd since one is a Grim Reaper and the story ending on a cliff hanger meant I was immediately looking for the 2nd one.

I definitely recommend this quick read which is a different take on the Grim Reaper.  It is more feeling than dark and dreary.
This book is my second in the horror genre in recent days, and I don't normally venture there. Nonetheless, this is quite good. I enjoyed the humor and was pleasantly surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I'll have to check out the author's other work.

Thanks very much for the free review copy!!
The Reaper’s Quota tells the story of Reaper #2497, also known as Steve, who recently has had some trouble fulfilling his tasks at work, namely killing people. The book starts out very intriguing and the humor was exactly my cup of tea. Sadly, as it went on it got a little boring because the story got quite repetitive. I can only read about Steve orchestrating some elaborate death so many times before it gets a little tedious. Apart from that, I enjoyed the book. It was a quick and easy read, and it did bring up some interesting moral dilemmas and questions for the reader to ponder, while still being quite sarcastic and funny.

Do be aware that this book ends in a cliffhanger, because I thought it was a standalone, and now I will not know peace until I can get my hands on the sequel, because the end was probably my favorite part of the book and I just need to know what happens next now.

I’d recommend this book to people who want to read a weird mix of a bunch of deaths and sarcastic, dark humor.
The Reaper's Quota by Sarah McKnight is a quick humorous horror read. I couldn't put this book down! I actually would rate this book over 5 stars if I could! The main character is Reaper 2497 or Steve in his human life. He struggles with having human feelings which reapers are not supposed to have. All he wants is another chance to be human again. He has fulfilled his assigned deaths but struggles with his 30 random death quota. This book follows him as he tries to meet his quota in three days or face execution by the big boss. The ending leaves us with a cliffhanger. I can't wait for the second book to find out what happens! If you are looking for a humorous paranormal book, I highly recommend this book to be added to your read list!

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in return for my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Reapers as you've not really met them before. No humanity visble, just the traditional skeleton, cloak and scythe, with quotas to complete. Each month a number of random deaths need to be added and these make up the bulk of freak accidents and unusual and unexpected deaths.
We foĺow the progress of Steve, a reaper for 2 years, as he tries to understand his life and world. Bearing in mind his memory was supposed to have been wiped.
The humour is dark and the style very matter of fact. This was Steve, and his life, and what he did each day, how he killed people and how he reported their deaths. Yes there are still reports, clerks and filing cabinets in this enormous bureaucracy of death.
The Reaper's Quota is a fast-paced, quirky horror comedy that kept my attention from start to finish. The unique premise is this: human deaths are carried out by the thousands of reapers who are interminably employed to do so. We follow Reaper #2497 as he works towards meeting his monthly quota of 30 random deaths - as part of his job at Reaper Headquarters - in order to avoid a reaper's worst fate.

Despite being literally, entirely, about death, this book isn't particularly scary. It has a few genuinely sad moments, but for the most part has a tongue-in-cheek tone that keeps what could have been gruesome deaths oddly comical. There's enough heart to make it thought provoking but it's not trying to be philosophical, just real. I enjoyed the style and since it did move on so quickly, I never found myself in a rut.

This book is short enough to fly through it and it ends on a cliffhanger so my only complaint is that now I have to wait for the next installment to find out what happens!

Thank you to the publisher for this review copy! All opinions are entirely my own.
Steve is a reaper who likes to justify his random kills, but has been slacking and has been having a harder time actually killing "randoms".
This book had a lot of potential, it is essentially a very long "Trolley Problem" and could have other interesting philosophical themes, but it never really got there. I found the humor lacking, and there was not enough build up or balance. I also think that Steve should have been written as a woman, because they did not come off as a man. And even in the afterlife I was kinda sad it was still so gendered and hetero normative.
Reaper #2497 (or Steve) has a job to do: complete 30 Random Deaths or face execution. But there's one thing getting in his way, one thing he shouldn't have as a Reaper - his humanity.

This was such an enjoyable read! McKnight does a wonderful job of getting the reader to connect with Reaper #2497 and have you rooting for him. The story is also filled with a lot of dark humour and had me laughing out loud! I loved the idea that the Reapers' job is like any other mundane job, with quotas to fill and deadlines to meet.

This was a brilliant short story and would definitely recommend to readers who are a fan of dark humour.
Grim Reaper # 2497 has completed all of his Assigned Deaths, but not his Random Death quota for the month. He has three days to perform 30 random killings, or be executed. So, 2497 becomes something of an avenging angel, shortening the lives of the abusive, the unpleasant, and the annoying. (You may actually cheer when some of these jerks are dispatched.)

It's fairly obvious that 2497 does not particularly like killing, and is hoping for nothing more than a do-over as a human. And, he may just get a crack at that, though not quite in the way he expects . . .

This fun and funny novel would be a treat for fans of dark humor, and for faithful viewers of HBO's "Six Feet Under."