The Reaper's Quota

Pub Date 10 Nov 2021 | Archive Date 2 Aug 2022

Talking about this book? Use #TheReapersQuota #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Meet Grim Reaper #2497. Behind on his work, he must complete his quota of thirty Random Deaths or face termination in the worst way.

Faced with an insurmountable task and very little time to complete it, Reaper #2497 struggles to hang on to the one thing he's not supposed to have - his humanity.

Faced with an insurmountable task and very little time to complete...

Being in the mind of Steve the Reaper for a couple of days as I read this unique and darkly humorous story was something I won't soon forget. I loved the moments of insight into the human condition of living and dying, and was moved by some lovely, relatable scenes when Steve gets a vision of the lives of each of his victims before he swings his scythe. But Steve isn't really cut out for this life, or his former human life. What he wants is to be human again, and do better next time.

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

4.5 stars
This was a really unique and fun read. I loved the sarcastic humor. However, that cliff hanger…
I cannot wait for the next book!

Grim Reaper #2497 is slacking on his Random Deaths monthly quota and at risk of permanent execution. He is slacking because he is struggling to hold back his humanity whilst having to complete his Grim Reaper duties.

Reaper #2497 is sarcastic and funny and it brought lightness to the death scenes. I found myself smirking at some of the execution reports. I am very excited to see what happens to #2497 from here and will definitely be reading the next book!

A really enjoyable read that was full of sarcsm and dark humour. It was well written with a compelling storyline that I couldn't put down and made for a very quick and easy read. Twisty and a fantastic ending that left me wanting more

A dark humor fiction story about a reaper who wants to become human again. The story ends on a cliffhanger and boy, is if a deep one! This was a really quick read. It feels like a case study into peoples lives, almost voyeuristic. Our reaper main character is given a number but somehow remembers his name when he was human, which he isn’t supposed to. He remembers being human and gets in trouble for not filling his quota of accidental death reapings. The main reaper character has an interesting, dark and sarcastic humor. I loved reading about how peoples bodies would be found after they were reaped, and the way he filled out paperwork after the reapings. I can’t wait for the next book!

Ebook/Dark Humor:. I really liked this book and I want to thank Netgalley for giving me a copy in lieu of an honest review. Without repeating the summary, I want to say that Grim Reaper #2497, aka Steve, is a simple guy with a job he hates. He does try to make the best of it with dry, dark humor on his paperwork. This is a fun short read of about four hours. Nothing is heart stopping, just 2497's inner turmoil in first person on how through his quota. The book is short and be prepared for an abrupt ending.

This is SUCH a good read. One of the reasons that I'm so grateful to be part of the NetGalley family is to be introduced to books I'd not normally come across and this is one of them.

Steve is Reaper #2497 and he's behind on his quota. The writing is excellent and fast paced and the emotional mixed with sarcasm and wit had me spell bound with this unique book.

The world of the Grim Reaper was a fascinating one and one that will stick with me for a long time.

I'd highly recommend this read and my only disappointment was the cliffhanger ending. However, I'm very much looking forward to the sequel.

Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to preview this excellent read and many congratulations to Sarah McKnight - I'll be reading more!

The Reaper’s Quota by Sarah McKnight

This is a hilarious and fast story to read. It was nothing like what I was expecting and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire book.

Reaper # 2497 (a.k.a. Steve) is tasked with a set amount of deaths he has to complete or he will be executed. This story is about the Random Death quota he has to complete. He is torn between his humanity and his need for survival. While completing his tasks, he is struggling with the right and wrong of being a Reaper.

My only issue with this book is the ending. It ends on a cliffhanger. I am, however, going to be looking for the second in this series.

Thank you to #Netgalley and author Sarah McKnight for a copy of this book for an honest review. #TheReapersQuota

I tore through this book in a day I found it so engrossing. McKnight has been so inventive, not only creating the world of the Reapers, but also the many stories of the people Reaper 2497 encounters throughout the book. The story was violent, poignant and darkly funny in equal measure. Safe to say I was delighted to see a sequel will be coming out soon, and it'll certainly be on my list to read!

This book is not your typical Grim Reaper story, where mostly Grim Reapers find some unexpected lover and fall in love. No, the author broke the conventional story for the Grim Reapers. I found that this book is the most realistic story of Grim Reapers. They're not some tall, dark-haired, broody, handsome men; they're skeletons with hollow eye sockets. They are literally skeletons covered in a black cloak with their scythes slung over their shoulders. This is the description I've known since I was a teenager, broken only by the creative imaginations of other people's perceptions of Grim Reapers.

The book can be funny at times, with Steve, our main character, who was sassy and witty. He made the story come alive, and I laughed at his witty and sarcastic internal monologue, especially the reference to The Pirates of the Caribbean. The author did a refreshing take on the story of Grim Reapers, and this is one of the unique and most creative stories I've read so far. Hilarity aside, the story delves more profound into the topic of regret and hope. I found Steve to be relatable in a way. He hopes for a second chance but doesn't really voice it because it might be jinxed, and it would be gone in an instant. He hopes secretly, and his internal monologue made me sympathize with him. He's full of regrets, wanting to have a once-over in life and right his wrongs.

This story tackles how humans' lives are fragile being comparable to delicate china. The backstories of every person he'd taken were also realistic because somewhere, it's happening in every different person. The theme of life and death here is riveting because it's spot-on! This is one of those books I'd never get tired of recommending to friends and strangers. Everything about this is well-written, the characters are likeable, and even in death, the Reaper Headquarters captured the perfect reflection of humans' lives in the realm of the living. The routine of people going to work, eat, sleep, and vice versa.

BUT.

WHEN I REACHED THE LAST PAGE OF THE BOOK. DUDE. I WAS LYING DOWN ON MY BED WHEN I TURNED TO THE NEXT PAGE AND READ "WONDERING WHAT'S NEXT FOR STEVE?" COME ON!!!!!!! I BOLTED UPRIGHT FROM MY POSITION AND BEGAN THROWING THE PILLOW ON THE BED AGAIN AND AGAIN. I THOUGHT THIS WAS A STAND-ALONE, BUT I WAS LED TO BELIEVE IN A LIE. THE CLIFFHANGER --- I CANNOT. WHEN IS MID-2022?????!!! BECAUSE NEED BOOK 2 NOW!!!!

But I still love the book but I hate the cliffhanger, but it's a good thing, right??? RIGHT???!!!!!????!! I NEED BOOK TWO. NOW.

MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE THANK YOU THANK YOU TO NETGALLEY FOR THIS E-ARC!!!!!!!!! I OWE YOU BIG TIME!!!!